im losing over 1/2 a kilo a day?!

Options
Ok... so i started my LCD 13 days ago, am consuming around 1100 calories a day from high fat and protein diet. Drinking around 5 pints of water and intaking no sugars. Im losing on average 0.7kg a day, sometimes its 0.4kg but then the next day will be 1kg etc.... i walk around 2 miles a day other than that no other excercise.

Should i continue?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    is there a medical reason for you to be on such low cals, and losing so quickly?

if not, i'd suggest increasing your cals....how did you calculate 1100cals in the first place? you likely need more than that just to survive. you have 44lbs to lose -whilst this isn't insignificant, it's not excessive. losing slowly will be more sustainable and probably happen due to lifestyle changes that are sustainable for life, not just a few weeks or months.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It depends where you are starting from, if you are seriously obese then you will lose more initially, just because you are burning loads of calories humping loads of fat around

The closer you get to healthy goal weight the slower your weight loss will get
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    Most of it is glycogen being depleted. There is some fat being burned from your caloric deficit and eating low carb but if you don't up your calories you will start to lose lean body mass.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon for people to lose 5 to 12 lbs first 2 weeks, as it relates to loss of glycogen and water. So I don't see any alarm. Just don't get used to it, as the rate of loss will decrease. Typically it will be one or two lbs per week loss, until you get closer to your ideal weight and then it decreases again. So, I don't see any reason for alarm...you are moving in the right direction. Good luck on the rest of your journey.
  • mondayrebel
    Options
    Thanks for replies guys,im 33 years old im 115.8kg now, and 6'3 tall. I-m doing the keto diet so i was hoping that im in Ketosis and burning fat not just depleting water/glycogen molecules?? I used to be 90kg about 4 years ago so am trying to get back to around 100kg. im hitting my fat and protein grams everyday??
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for replies guys,im 33 years old im 115.8kg now, and 6'3 tall. I-m doing the keto diet so i was hoping that im in Ketosis and burning fat not just depleting water/glycogen molecules?? I used to be 90kg about 4 years ago so am trying to get back to around 100kg. im hitting my fat and protein grams everyday??

Well first off as a man, you really do need more calories than 1100. There is some fat burning, but you will definitely have a lot of water/glycogen depletion. Just because careful with a very low calorie diet because it will increase the amount of muscle you lose.
  • mondayrebel
    Options
    In the Keto analysis book it says that you will not lose muscle mass if you have a high body fat percentage? and by putting your body into ketosis you are relying on burning the fat molecules for energy hence the high weight loss. if it were all water loss would i still have dropped 22 inched round my waist?? help needed on this as its very confusing!!
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Ok... so i started my LCD 13 days ago, am consuming around 1100 calories a day from high fat and protein diet. Drinking around 5 pints of water and intaking no sugars. Im losing on average 0.7kg a day, sometimes its 0.4kg but then the next day will be 1kg etc.... i walk around 2 miles a day other than that no other excercise.

Should i continue?

You don't have to eat food for months and just live off water and salt tablets.

People get trapped under rocks and live for weeks/months just off water.

You won't die. continue
  • edwardkim85
    Options
    Don't worry about losing muscle mass, unhealthy, etc. if you feel fine.

You can lose all the muscle you have and gain it back later.

Your metabolism won't be 'ruined' permanently.

Human bodies are extremely resisiliant and adapts to changes. It's designed to 'survive'.

Just listen to your body and if you can do it, do it. If you get burnt out, stop, take a break, reassess. Easy as that.

Don't heed words such as 'you MUST eat 1800 kcal and keep your macro 40/20/40, etc to maintain max. muscle mass' blah blah.
  • mondayrebel
    Options
    thanks for response.... my body feels like i have more energy than i have had for a long time. i am not starving myself, im eating enough to be comfortable without being over full so i think its good?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    With only 30lbs to go I am guessing you would not be considered high BF%. Maybe high end of normal. You should be aiming for no less than 1800 Net at your height and weight.
    I am sure, even assuming you are in Keto, that at 1100 calories you are not getting enough fat and protein to spare your lean muscle mass.
  • edwardkim85
    Options
    thanks for response.... my body feels like i have more energy than i have had for a long time. i am not starving myself, im eating enough to be comfortable without being over full so i think its good?

Yes, you're fine. Don't worry about muscle mass/lean body mass for now since it seems like you are not exercising and using diet as a main means to lose weight.

Everybody's different. You don't need to eat 1800 or 2kcal / day even if someone at your 'goalweight' needs that amount to maintain their weight. You might need 1500kcal to maintain that weight, but if your life style and choice allows it + you feel healthy and full, you're good.

This may be an extreme example, but do you think those hunters in the tribes in Africa that 'hunt' care about eating 1800 kcal to maintain max. lean muscle mass? They look lean and fit enough to me.

You hear about the 1800kcal, lean body mass, macros, all that stuff because people read the same articles that were copy/pasted by one person, then circulated to millions of others.
  • erickirb
    Options

Yes, you're fine. Don't worry about muscle mass/lean body mass for now since it seems like you are not exercising and using diet as a main means to lose weight.

Everybody's different. You don't need to eat 1800 or 2kcal / day even if someone at your 'goalweight' needs that amount to maintain their weight. You might need 1500kcal to maintain that weight, but if your life style and choice allows it + you feel healthy and full, you're good.

This may be an extreme example, but do you think those hunters in the tribes in Africa that 'hunt' care about eating 1800 kcal to maintain max. lean muscle mass? They look lean and fit enough to me.

You hear about the 1800kcal, lean body mass, macros, all that stuff because people read the same articles that were copy/pasted by one person, then circulated to millions of others.

Don't worry about lean muscle mass ????? Why not, if you lose muscle, your BMR is lower, your BF% is higher at your goal weight which means you will probably want to lose more since you don't look like you though you would at that weight, etc.

Someone at his goal weight would need more like 2200-2500 to maintain
  • mondayrebel
    Options
    Exactly ... to maintain, i dont want to maintain! i want to lose and unless im at a healthy deficit which i think i am surely i will be fine and continue to lose?
  • erickirb
    Options
    Exactly ... to maintain, i dont want to maintain! i want to lose and unless im at a healthy deficit which i think i am surely i will be fine and continue to lose?

To maintain you will probably be in the 2200-2600 cals, so to lose anything less than 2200. the bigger the deficit, the more lean muscle that will be lost.

How many grams of fat and protein are you getting now on your low cal diet?
  • Kelly845
    Kelly845 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's normal. I can lose up to 1 kg a day when I want and I don't starve at all. Once I lost 4 kilos within 3 days without dieting, just rollerblading half an hour a day. People are different.
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    Do you eventually want to return to regular eating? How do you think your body will respond to that? This may just be setting you up to gain weight back once your normal diet resumes. I also worry that you aren't getting sufficient calories to support your body. I would rethink this dangerously low calorie keto diet.
    Please take a look at these threads. Understand that VLCD's have a way of biting you in the bum eventually and sooner rather than later in so many ways.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • mondayrebel
    Options
    With only 30lbs to go I am guessing you would not be considered high BF%. Maybe high end of normal. You should be aiming for no less than 1800 Net at your height and weight.
    I am sure, even assuming you are in Keto, that at 1100 calories you are not getting enough fat and protein to spare your lean muscle mass.

at 6'3 and 115.8kg i have about 27.5% Body fat..... in ketosis you wont burn lean muscle until your about 15% body fat??
  • mondayrebel
    Options
    its not an extremely low calorie diet at 1100.... im having 107 grams protein and around 70grams fat. most threads state 500 - 800 as extremely low??
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    Yes, anything under 1200 is considered very low for most but it's especially low with your stats.