Flax Seeds

Options
SO I have been adding milled Flax Seed to my morning Protein Shake.... grainy and weird. Not saying I hate it but not saying I love it. Anyone else using or have used them? Thoughts??

Replies

• ArtsyGarbage
    Options
    I grind my flax seed up (in a coffee bean grinder, lol) and it's not weird or grainy that way :) i would recommend you do this c:
  • jammallnyte
    jammallnyte Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I grind my flax seed up (in a coffee bean grinder, lol) and it's not weird or grainy that way :) i would recommend you do this c:

I bought them milled (Bad idea for freshness) and thought that would be good enough. Maybe I need to grind them down further then. Thanks
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I put flax seed in my smoothies all the time. Of course, I usually put a mixture of blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries too, so the seeds from those offset the graininess of the flax :smile:

ETA: I use the ground milled, also.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I LOVE them. I put them in shakes, oatmeal, anything that uses bread crumbs. But I like "clean/healthy" food. I like lima beans, and brussels sprouts, and alpha sprouts, and all the healthy food people hate. I just eat too much of them.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I also like to use mlled flaxseed in my oatmeal/quinoa or in yogurt. Never tried them in a smoothie.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I grind my flax seeds and chia seeds in my Ninja and store them in a small, dark glass container and keep it the fridge.

I add them to my shakes, yogurt and oatmeal and I make a fresh batch about every week/week and a half.

I've read it's best to grind them up yourself and use it within weeks to keep it from going rancid.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I used them in salads, oatmeal, baked good recipes (muffins, cookies etc) and in smoothies. I don't even notice them. You might want to try ground flax seed meal, which is more ground up, almost like flour.