1st Time Yoga

Options
I am very interested in doing Yoga a couple times a week & don't even know where to begin.

Any video suggestions would be helpful!

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    You could go to a few classes and that would give you an idea of which style you like. Most studios offer the first class for free. You are more likely to stick with yoga if you go to classes (I know some people stick with yoga just doing videos, I'm just saying it's more likely)
    You could check out your local library and see what videos they have.
    Yoga Journal has some free podcasts. Just look for anything that says "beginner"

Best of luck
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    search on youtube. I follow tara stiles and ekhart yoga :)
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later!
  • copselily
    copselily Posts: 117
    Options
    search on youtube. I follow tara stiles and ekhart yoga :)

I second this! Tara Stiles is very good
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would start off in a class at a gym so that a teacher can see you and help with your alignment. I did that for about 6 months. Now I subscribe to MyYogaOnline and watch videos at my house. I do about an hour a night of yoga but when you're first starting shoot for about 3-4 days a week.

Good luck! :)
  • laurarich2014
    laurarich2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just bought Jillian Michaels DVD Yoga Meltdown off Amazon. It had the best ratings and was highly recommended. It was cheap to at under $9. I think Walmart has it too.
  • JohannaJewell
    Options
    awesome, thanks for all of the great pointers!!
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I used to diss yoga. We got the P90X series and tried it once. I was sweating and shaking 5 minutes after the warm up. I now have a new respect for yoga.
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Popping on here for ideas as well. Hubby and I want to start yoga one night a week or so, but can't get to the class at our gym. Thought we'd look into videos but I have no balance. I looked at a few beginner ones but am not sure what's good out there.