Leg Help!

Options
So my right leg is weak and my left leg is strong. You can't see the differences because (mercifully?) they are both coated with fat. However, last night I wanted to measure the differences so I got on the leg press machine and it's pretty dramatic. I can push 100+lbs with my left leg and STRUGGLE with 45 on my right.

I want to balance my strength on these legs, however, I noticed that whether I am doing squats, leg presses, or whatever, my left leg is still doing most of the work. I have tried to make myself stop favoring my right leg when doing exercise that engage both, but I can't seem to do it. Also, I can't trust my body weight on my right leg unless my knee is locked because it simply cannot hold me up.

I thought about doing leg presses, one leg at a time. My concern is that if I use a weight that challenges my left leg, (over 100lbs), it will still strengthen disproportionately to my right.

Should I JUST work the weak leg? Or work the left leg at lower weights?

Replies

• karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Great question! I'll be interested in the answers you get because I have arthritis in my left hip and therefore my left leg is also weaker than my right, and the muscles always sore. This is a recent development (6 months or so) and when I was working out consistently before the pain started I had no issues.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Bump.... I'm in a similar quandry. Due to injuries from a severe motorcycle accident and subsequent skiing accent (10 and 5 years ago respectively) my right leg is significantly weaker than my left. Would love to hear what the strength-training gurus have to say!
  • BreeJaxon
    BreeJaxon Posts: 128
    Options
    Just like your hands and arms, you will always have a dominant leg! Just use the same weight on both legs and the strength will come!
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Many of us have imbalances. To address them, exercise them singly--start with the weaker side, no need to completely avoid squats, but focus a good part of the work on single leg presses, LUNGES, etc, so you can build up the muscle in the weaker leg.
  • sheleen302
    Options
    Many of us have imbalances. To address them, exercise them singly--start with the weaker side, no need to completely avoid squats, but focus a good part of the work on single leg presses, LUNGES, etc, so you can build up the muscle in the weaker leg.

edited to add: use the weight that your weaker leg can handle for both legs. Build from there.
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You can also do single leg squats.
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Maybe one day! Is there a machine for assisted squats? I can't hold my own body weight on my weak leg.
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Is there a way to modify lunges that doesn't require you to bend your toes? My toes don't work on the weak leg.
  • sheleen302
    Options

Is there a way to modify lunges that doesn't require you to bend your toes? My toes don't work on the weak leg.

Yes, I have problems due to arthritis with my toes, too. --This is more of a single leg squat, but you can stand on a step and squat--one leg on the step, the other off. When you get stronger, carry a barbell or weighted ball, or plate.
  • sheleen302
    Options

Yes, I have problems due to arthritis with my toes, too. --This is more of a single leg squat, but you can stand on a step and squat--one leg on the step, the other off. When you get stronger, carry a barbell or weighted ball, or plate.
    edited to add: put the step closer to the wall so you can hang on and guide yourself until your weaker leg gets stronger. Eventually your strength and balance will improve so that you don' t need the wall. If you can't reach the ground with your leg that is off the step, just start with what you can do, and build from there.
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Maybe one day! Is there a machine for assisted squats? I can't hold my own body weight on my weak leg.

Give this a go...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4gVt6JZDzw

Also on the assisted dip machine, stand on it and do single leg press for a change.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH68cpU_Wt8