Caffiene withdrawls

Options
Before I decided to get back on track to loosing weight and being healthy, I was drinking 1-2 cups of coffee and 3-4 cans of mountian dew. My heart kept racing randomly and I even had caffiene lumps I thought was breast cancer. So I traded mt dew for sweet tea and dropped to one cup of coffee. Then I switched to caffiene free tea and I only drink 8 oz a day with dinner. I'm still drinking the one cup of coffee but every night after dinner I get massive migraines. Everything I've read said to cut down gradually and I think I did. How long do these last and aside from taking meds what can I do to make them stop or atleast ease up enough that I am functional. I usually just go to bed as soon as I can since the only thing that helps it complete darkness and silence. I don't like taking anything for pain unless I have to. I tend to build up an immunity fast.

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm still drinking the one cup of coffee but every night after dinner I get massive migraines. Everything I've read said to cut down gradually and I think I did. How long do these last and aside from taking meds what can I do to make them stop or atleast ease up

The migraines are probably headaches from a caffeine rush that your body is now not used to.

Just stop drinking coffee and see how you go by this time next week. I'm not sure why you think stopping slowly will do anything other that give you more of a hit every time you consume the drug?
  • jackscagnetti1
    Options
    I still have the same problems as you. I quit drinking coffee and switched to tea then I started to drink energy drinks and got addicted to that. Now i no longer even like coffee but sometimes crave an energy drink when i am having a sluggish morning and can't wake up. My advice to you would be to drink more water and try to do it gradually and not cold turkey like me. Tea does have a lot more benefits than coffee and you can drink it the same way. Maybe replace coffee with tea.

Here are some benefits of tea

Tea can boost exercise endurance.
    Tea is hydrating to the body despite the caffeine.
    Tea has antioxidants
    Tea can help reduce the risk of a heart attack

There are many more also. Find a good brand that you like don't go for the cheap stuff.
  • ambee0803
    ambee0803 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Tea is a great idea. I was actually buying variety packs and trying different brands. I haven't found one I like yet. (acquired taste maybe, I used to hate coffee). I should get back to sampling different kinds though.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I would quit both the coffee and the tea and not get into the energy drinks as they all could have caffeine. When I quit my diet coke cold turkey, the headaches lasted for about a week. Have not gone back and rarely have headaches.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Can someone please tell me what a caffeine lump is?
  • Cae_Troi
    Cae_Troi Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've had my migraines last for about a week, but it really depends on your body. I'd talk to your doctor or just take some advil to help out until the migraines go away. Caffeine withdrawals are horrible!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I quit diet soda on Jan 1 - I still have a daily cup of coffee - but still a lot less caffeine. I had a killer headache for about 7 days straight.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water, could be dehydration migraines.

You could try no caffeine for awhile and see if the migraines go away