Zumba lovers - HELP!

Options
Just to give you a little background about myself: I lost 60 lbs back in 2010 and 2011, but due to depression and a knee injury, I have put 40 lbs back on. I am getting married in Sept 2014, so I am trying to get this weight back off.

I have been seriously trying for about 3 months now. When I started to get serious again, I was back up to 180, but I refused to log it. My lowest on here is 171.4 which I finally got back to last week. Now, it just won't budge. I keep yo yoing back and forth between 172.4 and 171.4. I am getting beyond frustrated. I don't remember it being this hard last time because I was consistently losing weekly. Now, I will say back in 2010 and 2011, my stress level was way higher because of my ex-husband/divorce. I do Zumba 2-3 times/week which burns me between 600 and 700 calories usually each session. I am also 5'3" if it makes a difference. When I lost weight before, I was obsessed with the gym going everyday for 2+ hrs at a time, but my kids were suffering. So, this time around, I spread my time out because I am a single mom of 2 toddlers, work full-time, do Zumba 2-3 times/week, and am also a Pampered Chef consultant. Plus, trying to get ready for a wedding.

So here is my reason for posting: should I be focused more on my measurements? I finally remembered to take my measurements today which I am NOT happy with. Chest is 41, waist is 40.5, hips are 45, thigh is 23 and arm is 13. I am not the cleanest eater but I trying to get better. I am also back on my depression meds (Wellbutrin) which suppresses my appetite and I take ACE everyday which is supposed to help with weight loss. I just feel like I am up against a wall and AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE! I am getting frustrated to the point of tears and just ready to throw in the towel and just be fat. I just want to record a freaking weight loss which I haven't been able to do for months. I eat around 1540 calories on non-exercise days and on days that I do Zumba I will eat back some of my exercise calories. HELP PLEASE!!!

Replies

• sloane70
    sloane70 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't do Zumba, but in reading your post, it sounds like it's just a question of patience. You're eating the right number of calories, you're exercising, and assuming that you keep doing that, your weight loss will continue. A lot of folks hit a 2-6 week "lock in" plateau with no weight loss, then boom, it comes off really fast for a while. That's totally normal. Give yourself a week or so, and see if any changes are happening; if not, then look at things like water intake & very high sodium and other things that may be creating more challenges. But for right now, just be good to yourself, and I suspect it'll all shake out soon :)
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    How do you its burning 600 to 700 calories?
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm 261 lbs and I'm losing eating at 1450-1500 cal doing Zumba 3 times a week or so. For your weight, maybe you should be intaking less calories. Have you tried not eating the calories back at all? I'm just wondering where did you get your calorie count of 1540 from? I'm much heavier than you and MFP says I should be eating less calories than what you're eating. Also, are you measuring and weighing your food properly?
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I know this is probably not what you are going to want to hear, but I think only doing Zumba is not going to help. I think the cardio that Zumba provides is excellent, and it does help you to lose inches. When I was doing Zumba 3-4 times a week I definitely saw a visible difference, but until I added weights and additional cardio I was not seeing a scale difference regularly.
  • Inspired_Mom
    Options

With Zumba, it is known that you burn anywhere from 500 to 700 calories. It is a very high cardio workout. Plus, my instructor wears a HRM - we are close in size and height. I don't sweat easy but when I leave there, I am drenched usually.
  • shell13b
    shell13b Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You should not deprive yourself of a burger once in a while however if you are not the healthiest eater it will be harder. we all have to give an take something for an outcome. Working out and eating healthy are a combination.

My cousin works out lifts weights and weighs way more than he should but when he's done lifting he will go have steak and potatoes like all southern men do. LOL however he does that EVERY night and for lunch he's eating Mexican food. But as he says I'm working out what's wrong... Well I say "your eating habits have to improve too" :)

give yourself more time it is not an overnight success hang in there and don't give up.
  • Inspired_Mom
    Options
    I'm 261 lbs and I'm losing eating at 1450-1500 cal doing Zumba 3 times a week or so. For your weight, maybe you should be intaking less calories. Have you tried not eating the calories back at all? I'm just wondering where did you get your calorie count of 1540 from? I'm much heavier than you and MFP says I should be eating less calories than what you're eating. Also, are you measuring and weighing your food properly?

It is what MFP gave me, I have my settings at losing 0.5 lbs/week not 1 lb/week. At 1 lb/week, I am more like 1300 but I was always starving at that rate. I looked at my TDEE and it was closer to 1540.
  • ChristineOlivarri
    ChristineOlivarri Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You really need to give it time , it's not going to come off in one day. I do Zumba M, W & F and Tues and Thurs I swim for an hour. I also eat 1400 cal. per day and I never eat back my workout calories. I have been losing a lot fast --10 lbs in the last two weeks but I am reevaluating this because I feel I am losing too quickly so I am planning on raising my calories some.

My current stats are 222 and I am 5'5, I'm also 28 years old

You need to remember that the weight didn't go on in one day and it's not going to come off in one day. Think positive and stick to what you are going, give yourself some credit.
  • PeaceLoveTrees
    PeaceLoveTrees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know this is probably not what you are going to want to hear, but I think only doing Zumba is not going to help. I think the cardio that Zumba provides is excellent, and it does help you to lose inches. When I was doing Zumba 3-4 times a week I definitely saw a visible difference, but until I added weights and additional cardio I was not seeing a scale difference regularly.

What she said!!!!! I love zumba, and used to go more frequently but then realized I needed to be adding more variety. I'm not sure where you go to class, but perhaps they have other classes you could go to as well/instead of zumba all the time. I started a weight training class and am also doing work out dvds at home. Not until I added weight training did I see the inches start melting away. I've also started concentrating more on inches rather than weight because it will show your REAL results, muscle weighs more than fat!

Keep at it, don't give up! Maybe adding some at home workouts would help, maybe your kids would like to "work out" with mom, I'm sure there's a way to make a game of it! :-)
  • FitNurseLex
    FitNurseLex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So, I lost my first 20lbs pretty much doing ONLY Zumba (at home DVDs), 4-5/days a week and cutting carbs (wasn't using MFP at all during that time), but for me it slowed up after a while. Once I actually joined the gym and started strength training and using other cardio machines, that's when I saw the scale start moving again. I stalled a little more, & and that's when I started my love affair with Spinning, and now I'm starting to stall again, so now I have to find something else to incorporate into my workouts. Maybe you just need to change up your workout routine or play around with your calorie goal (scale up/down), or maybe you just need to give your body time to catch up. Do you utilize cheat meals/days at all? That seems to help me.
  • Inspired_Mom
    Options

Schedule wise, I just can't do anymore than I am doing because it would take more time away from my kids. I am at the gym Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturday mornings. My gym closes before I can get there on Fridays and closes early on Sundays. Which leaves Mondays and Thursday which I am usually spending time with my kids and doing PC stuff. Not making excuses, just explaining my situation. My knee can handle the Zumba stress, maybe I will try Jillian again.
  • Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options

Try doing an hour's worth of Zumba and you'll see how she burns 600-700 cals. My HRM once told me I had burnt around 1,000 cals but that's just ridiculous and I have been very suspicious of the thing ever since!
  • zickertm
    zickertm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would try dropping your calorie intake on non-Zumba days. I am the same height and weight as you right now and I am doing well at losing by only eating 1200 calories per day on days I don't add in exercise. Also, there is a 7-minute workout you should try on non-Zumba days. You can do it at home with no equipment and it takes only a little time, which is good considering your schedule. There are lots of studies that show lifting weights helps boost your metabolism. There may be other factors as well such as too little sleep, the medications, etc. You should probably check with a doctor if you don't see a difference.

One other tip: buy and wear a pedometer. Track how many steps you get in a day and shoot for at least 10,000. If you don't have them all by the end of the day, force yourself to walk around your house until you get them in. I do this at night while on the phone or watching TV instead of sitting. It helps. Just make sure not to overdo it or you will hurt your knees.
  • cherub_72
    cherub_72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh honey I feel your pain. I am right there with ya. Personally speaking...I am trying to focus on my NSV (non scale vicotories). Yes the weight is important but I didn't decide to change my life because the number on the scale upset me. I steped on that scale because something else bugged me (my clothes didn't fit the way I wanted them to) and then when I saw the number on the scale...I freaked. SO focus on your REAL goal. Not the number. Are your clothes fitting differantely? Yes? GREAT No? Well...are you moving better? Are you feeling better? Are you able to move longer than you were able to before? That scale can be deceiving. It is just ONE of many tools used to measure progress. Don't let the scale be the ONLY tool though. Keep at it. Slow and steady wins the race. That is what I keep telling myself everyday. Each day I learn something new, I develop a new healthy habit. I don't ever want to have to loose this weight again. I am getting way to old for that crap. So...for me personally...if it takes a long time for me, I remind myself that it is ok. I am learning to live my life differantly and that cannot be measured on a scale. I may have only lost 1 pound in the last 3 weeks but I have learned so much about my body and what my body really needs and the value of THAT is priceless and far more valuable than that number on the scale.

Keep on keepin on sister! You have what it takes to do this thing. One baby step at a time.

PS Zumba is AWESOME if you love it...you are moving and that is all that matters. MOVE!
  • mgnmsn1
    mgnmsn1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and I burn 450 calories in an hour for the most intense workout of my life. ANother instructor who is not as intense can be 330. My heart rate in the hard one will get up to 191. (CRAZY) I am 185 and 5'2". I used to guess like 600 and was not losing anything. Honestly, you might not be burning as much as you think. That will make you not lose weight.
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    relax... I know your frustrated and stressed. Zumba (as we know!) is a great workout...cardio-wise. But I've also been told to add strength training (which I don't do!). A friend of mine is also in the same position and she had been doing light weights in the morning and she's losing lbs. My suggestion would be to increase water intake, watch the sugars and try to incorporate weights at some point.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is focusing too much on the Zumba - weight loss is at least 80% what you eat. At least - if not more. So, I wouldn't focus on adding more exercise in an already packed schedule, I would focus more on what you are eating. Adding more time for exercise is only going to cause stress which has been shown to hinder weight loss. In addition, you are only going to stick with an exercise you enjoy - so keep doing Zumba if you enjoy it. If you don't. Maybe change things up and do a HITT workout instead - that will incorporate some body weight training, and some studies have shown its more effective then steady state cardio (I know this - I still do Zumba because I like it and I will stick to it - but if I plateau - I switch out for a few weeks).

As far as food goes....for me (I stress FOR ME), it's all about what I eat. If I eat junk, I have to eat closer to the 1200 calorie level to lose weight. If I eat only whole foods and only protein and carbs from veggie and fruits --- I can eat closer to 1600-1700 to lose weight. So, I would focus more on that part of things. Don't worry about getting creative with recipes. Seriously buy bags of froze, plain veggie and steam them in the microwave and make up chicken breasts, pork loin, 95% lean beef, etc. It doesn't need to be time consuming or fancy.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Focus more on cleaning up your diet - stick with Zumba - and give it time. Oh, and make sure you are weighing and measuring everything. When I stop, my portions go out of control while I think I'm doing just fine.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Schedule wise, I just can't do anymore than I am doing because it would take more time away from my kids. I am at the gym Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturday mornings. My gym closes before I can get there on Fridays and closes early on Sundays. Which leaves Mondays and Thursday which I am usually spending time with my kids and doing PC stuff. Not making excuses, just explaining my situation. My knee can handle the Zumba stress, maybe I will try Jillian again.

I totally get it that time is a HUGE factor. I have a 21 month old as well as 2 older children, plus work a full-time job and a part time job. Try getting some hand weights (start off with 2 or 5 pounds) and add some at-home workouts after the kids go to bed. I have the horrible upper arm fat (so ugly), and doing this is really helping a ton! Try going to youtube and find some easy at home weight routines.... You will get there, just don't give up!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options

It is what MFP gave me, I have my settings at losing 0.5 lbs/week not 1 lb/week. At 1 lb/week, I am more like 1300 but I was always starving at that rate. I looked at my TDEE and it was closer to 1540.

Ahh okay!

My only real advice is like the above poster says, working on cleaning up what you're eating. Make healthier choices and maybe cut a few more calories. Find some healthy snacks that are low-cal and healthy so you don't feel like you're starving. Good luck!
  • Inspired_Mom
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and I burn 450 calories in an hour for the most intense workout of my life. ANother instructor who is not as intense can be 330. My heart rate in the hard one will get up to 191. (CRAZY) I am 185 and 5'2". I used to guess like 600 and was not losing anything. Honestly, you might not be burning as much as you think. That will make you not lose weight.

Have you done Zumba? An "intense workout" is much different than Zumba. Most people don't believe me when I say I burn 600-700 calories, but I find scientific proof to back me up - my mom being one of them. Yes, people burn differently. MFP has me burning about 687 in 60 mins of Zumba, but I backed it off a little. If I can feel myself not being as intense, then I will drop it into the 500's. I know a HRM is best, but I don't have the $100 to drop into it right now. Maybe, after the wedding, I can.