Going out for Italian! Help!

Options
How do you eat pasta responsibly? I'm headed to an Italian restaurant for a work function. For dinner. How do you eat at a pizza and pasta place and still stay on track? And without being seen as that crazy dieter! I work in an office of Very skinny people and I just don't want to questions. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Does the restaurant you're going to publish calories? If it does, just choose whatever you want that's in your calories for the day.

If not, I'd personally just go for a margherita pizza, and don't worry about the possibility of going over for one day.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love pasta and pizza!!! :drinker:

If this were me I'd first try to find a menu online so I could plan ahead. If no online menu, I would just pick something reasonable when I got there. If it's a meal for myself (not a pizza being split) I would probably eat at most half of it and take the rest home. If it were a pizza I would slowly eat at most 2 slices. I would also enjoy myself and not sweat it too much; it's only one meal :flowerforyou:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Eat what you would before, only less of it.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Eat and then worry about it afterwards. If you do exercise the beauty of this is that you have better control as you can just compensate for any inevitable periodic overeating.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants have all their nutritional info on their website :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Italian doesn't mean pasta.

Look for something that contains a grilled meat (chicken, beef, pork, fish) and vegetable and skips the pasta or heavy sauces. Chains like Olive Garden have low-calorie menus, and "real" Italian restaurants inevitably have lots of non-pasta meals including fish.
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Not all Italian food is pizza and pasta, there are some great salads that have tuna or another protein on them, and most restaurants womt have a problem adding a piece of protein to any of their salads
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's part of life! I have had this happen to me, and as the others have suggested, it's only one meal. Opt for the best choice you have, and enjoy. I've gone out and enjoyed 2 slices of pizza and a glass of wine and weighed in a few days later, and no effects to be had. As long as it's just one meal, and you get right back on your food and exercise program, it's all good!
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    if you want pasta - try asking for 1/2 the amount of pasta. I usually do that. And I actually find it yummier because you still have the same amount of sauce and meat!
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    could always skip pasta and go with a chicken or fish dish or salad
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Here's my go-to meal for dining out--no matter the type of place.
    I order a big salad with a chicken breast and cheese on top.
    It is satisfying.
    For me, that's just me, when I eat pasta I gain weight--so I don't--and I don't miss it.
    Good luck.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Eat a smaller portion. A serving of pasta is about 1 cup which I think is about what fits in the palm of your cupped hand. Or you could eat something else like Marsala or something grilled. Italians just don't eat pasta you know.
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Don't wear a white shirt.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Italians don't live on pizza and pasta and are much slimmer than other population groups. If you know how do eat in a healthy way you can do it in an Italian restaurant too. Your brain won't be removed at the entrance.
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I will typically skip the bread (which I really really love) and then order whole wheat pasta and typically a meat sauce and I ask for the lunch size portion (if available). The other option is to order a large salad with chickin in it.
    Or if it really is just a once in a while thing or a real treat just order what you want and realize that unless you are eating there everyday it probably won't change your weight too much. You can always control your portion, only you are putting the fork to your mouth.
  • toomanireasons
    Options
    I totally understand, there are times when I like to keep my eating choices to myself and not answer questions about it. I suggest the salad of course, it will usually come with an available vinaigrette, maybe a Portabello chicken breast with vegetables in stead of pasta.
  • ShannonBEarley
    ShannonBEarley Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I looked at the menu ( no nutrition information - I am sure it would be scary if it were there!) I have a couple of good, non crazy options and if there is some pasta - half it! I have a plan!
  • ShannonBEarley
    ShannonBEarley Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I have a plan, now I just need to stick to it! Wood grilled salmon & asparagus - and 1/2 the risotto!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I looked at the menu ( no nutrition information - I am sure it would be scary if it were there!) I have a couple of good, non crazy options and if there is some pasta - half it! I have a plan!

Have you tried just Googling the Restaurant's name with the word 'calories' or looking elsewhere on their site? A lot of places don't put calories on the menu, but do publish them elsewhere. The restaurant might not publish them, of course, just saying if you've only checked the menu they might be elsewhere.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants will make substitutions if you ask. I went to an Italian restaurant a couple of weeks ago and asked if they would substitute the pasta side with steamed broccoli and there was no problem.