FitBit causing rash?

Options
All;
I have realy been wanting the new FitBit Force but have seen a lot of articles recently that it has been causing some people severe dermatitis issues with their wrists and hands. This was mostly 2-3 weeks after they started wearing it and the rashes started where the charger port on the inside of the band came in contact with their skin. I was just curious if any of you guys out there have had similiar issues with it or any other the other FitBit products? I had seen nothing but good reviews up until lately. Any advice on your experiences is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I've seen various threads about this in the Fitbit User Group forums on MFP. I own a Flex so I've never read the threads.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I bought the one because the flex wasn't out yet (only available in pre-order at the time)... so I didn't even know about the force until now... but I'm sure they will resolve that issue as soon as possible. So if you really want it, I would just wait until they have it resolved.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    No issues with the Flex.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My mom has been weing her's since Christmas with no issues.

My understanding it is a limited number of people, but enough that it is causing concerns. FitBit is saying it is due to small amounts of nickel potentially. If you've ever worn jewelery (especially costume type - not the 100% gold type), you should know if you have a nickel allergy. Now, some people with the rash don't think its nickel - so who knows.

FitBit is offering a full refund if you get the rash and the rash goes away after two weeks of not using it. Only you know if it's worth the risk. The risk seems pretty small right now, but it's there.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My mom has been weing her's since Christmas with no issues.

My understanding it is a limited number of people, but enough that it is causing concerns. FitBit is saying it is due to small amounts of nickel potentially. If you've ever worn jewelery (especially costume type - not the 100% gold type), you should know if you have a nickel allergy. Now, some people with the rash don't think its nickel - so who knows.

FitBit is offering a full refund if you get the rash and the rash goes away after two weeks of not using it. Only you know if it's worth the risk. The risk seems pretty small right now, but it's there.

And it's only the Force, no issue with any other products.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of skin issues and I wear a Flex all the time with no problems!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I just read a news article on this yesterday. I own a flex and have had no problems... and they say that the bands for the flex and force are made from the same materials.... so *shrug* no clue.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Now, I want a FitBit force though...
  • hosker
    hosker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi 3 weeks in and no problems here and I got to gym and swim three times per week. Love my data though.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Hi. Got my force for Christmas and so far I haven't had any issues.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex and have no issues. I would think that the Flex and the Force are made from the same material though.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yes. I got a Force at Christmas and have a sensitivity to some metals. As soon as it began occurring I started keeping it in my pocket and it actually picks up steps better in my pocket anyway.

I have had a Fitbit One since 2/8/13 and wear that as well clipped to my bra. I like to see the difference in the numbers, but my Force is the one I have linked to my Fitbit account. You can only have one linked per person I guess.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    One of the solutions for people with nickel costume jewellery is to paint nail varnish over the piece of metal that comes in contact with the skin, you could try that.
  • heartfeltrobot
    heartfeltrobot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing my Force non-stop since the end of November and a few days ago I noticed a rash on the outer corner of my left wrist where I wear my band. I thought it was poison ivy as I'd been doing yardwork the past few days, until today when I kept seeing pictures of Force wearers with the same exact rash.

I've contacted FitBit to do an exchange (I'm currently wearing the 'small' band on the largest settings) to see if wearing a larger-sized Force will correct the issue, but for right now I've stopped wearing my Force altogether and have put OTC topical cream on the spot as it itches and burns. I really miss my stats.

FWIW concerning the posts over on Fitbit.com, it doesn't seem like it's an issue with the trace amounts of Nickel found in the steel on the band snap and charging ports; something else is causing this contact dermatitis. But I hope they can figure it out soon.
  • chase128
    chase128 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been wearing mine non-stop since late september with no issues. I also have two good friends with the force that got it at release that don't have any issues either. Fitbit.com has a great 45 day return policy though (from arrival date, not purchase date), so if you were interested, you could try one out for a month+ to make sure you don't react.
  • crissyrox13
    crissyrox13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I was just curious and not sure if I wanted to risk the rash since I am almost 4 months pregnant and there wouldn't be much I could take if it did become an issue not to mention the increased immune reaction, just trying to play it safe, while trying to keep the pregnancy weight gain and my exercise in check. There was another article I read where a person put electrical tape over the charging/metal portion to try and prevent the contact with skin but the tape bubbled up, so I don't think it may just be the nickle afterall. I have been really wanting the Force more than the Flex because of the time option and a few other things (didn't want to wear the FitBit and a watch). That and I was previoulsy a Nike Fuel user but when that died (no issues with that and wore it almost two years) and I noticed the FitBit syncs to MFP I was intrigued to say the least especially since the FitBit is cheaper. I think for now I will see what happens. Thanks again for all of the responses, I def trust the MFP community more than the articles I find, especially since I know you guys really know your products :smile: