Invited to Dinner! I need help!!!

Options
Ok, so I was going to do the Inferno plan with TurboFire, but a friend asked us to come eat tonight, and another friend needs some moral support tomorrow night and wants me to eat supper with her at the Mexican restaurant. So, I'm in a dilemma. I am going to try not to eat so much either night, but it's so hard not to, especially when my friend tonight is a gourmet chef, I just can't help it. Please, can somebody help me, and tell me what I should do to stay half-way on track????? I seem to stuff myself when we go anywhere except home to eat! Argh!

Replies

• LHAMON2009
    Options
    I hear ya on that my only suggestion is to watch how much you eat and look at the menu try to get something wtih chicken it has less fat that other meats. If you have already been on your diet fora week or so your body has started to adjust to eating less already, so just listen t your body and drink lots of water(it helps you feel less hungry). And take the rest home for lunch tomorrow! Hope this helps a little
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Spoil your appetite. Eat something huge right before you walk out the door (my fave is a veggie packed salad tossed in 2 tbs of dressing). This will make it easier for you to have samples of whatever is in front of you without over eating.

Your friends should understand that your company is what is important, not HOW MUCH food you eat (food that is cooked for you by them or ordered in a restaurant...shouldn't matter).

Remember, it's just food. Don't stress. Approach food with confidence because it's just going to sit there on the table. Can't do anything to you :)

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne
  • hopewms
    Options
    Try to be the last one to start eating and try to be the first one to stop eating. Eat slowly and pay attention to portion size. If your host asks why you're not eating a lot make sure he/she knows you're watching your weight. If she is really supportive of you she won't take it personally :)

For tomorrow night, look at the menu now and see what's your best option. Don't even look at the menu when you go there as not to be tempted by other things. And then do the same as tonight, be the last to start and the first to stop.

Hope that helps!

Oh, and don't worry about going over a little. We all need those special occasions and don't have to feel guilty for every bite.

Have fun!
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You might have to give yourself a bit of a free pass. If you are usually good with your diet, then one night of naughtiness (or two) won't completely derail you. That said, you should still be as conscious as possible about what you eat. Half your plate should be veggies (hopefully not soaking in butter or oil). A quarter can be a starch, preferably whole grains, and the last quarter protein. You will likely go over, but maybe not as much as if you piled meat and starches on your plate. When I go out, I often don't allow myself to even touch the naughty food until I've eaten an entire salad because if I start with the good (er... bad) stuff, I'll fill myself up on it without touching the healthy veggies.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Portion control tonight. No starch, bread or dessert! Save yourself a 100 cal treat for when you get home. Tell the friend tomorrow that you would love to have dinner with her - but not mexican. Go somewhere you can get a salad (bring your own dressing) or a broiled or grilled fish or chicken!
  • tndavis78
    Options
    This is what I do when asked out to dinner and I know the person isnt watching the calorie level and stuff like I am, I eat a healthy protein enriched snack about 20-30 min before I leave, this helps me to eat smaller portions as I am not as hungry to over indulge! Also, keep your glass of water full and if you drink in between each bite that helps you (well at least me) feeling fuller, I hope these tips help you and good luck on your dinners.....OH and if you cant do either of those things my nutritionist gave me a tip today...if you workout the morning of and the day after it will help you to metabolize the food faster and hopefully it wont stay on for more than a few days. That was the tip she gave me for thanksgiving..hehe. If you can try to eat light for the whole day so the calories you intake at the dinner wont be as harmful....ex..salad for lunch with very little or no dressing....try to save up some of your calories for dinner. Hope at least one of those suggestions works for you!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    you can still stay up late and do some exercise to off set some of it. Just don't eat everything (moderation!) and try not to eat from now until then so you have some cals left.

if you are going for moral support for the other friend - does it have to be at a restaurant? Can it be at your house over something healthy? Or at a coffee shop where you can eat something else and just have some lower cal coffee or something? Can it be earlier in the day for a walk? Can you eat first and then just get a small something to nibble on not a full meal. (ie a kids quessadilla easy on the cheese). or just get something light (ask them to go light on the cheese!) and don't down too many chips, and skip the margarita.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Your the one that is in control. Just eat half of what is on the plate and you will have done better than you thought you would. You can do it if you put your mind to it.
  • EmmmyK
    EmmmyK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with Superwmn..eat a salad before and then eat like grilled chicken and veggies.. like fajitas, but light oil..It's ok to modify. I worked in a restaurant for years and my husband is a Exec Chef. It's ok. You can make good choices with food..Don't be tempted.

Good Luck
    Emily
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just eat half of what is on the plate and you will have done better than you thought you would.

Ask for a box with your dinner. If they don't remember, remind them. Put half of your dinner in the box, close it, and set it aside or out of sight on the chair next to your or something.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Be honest... tell her before dinner what you are doing and how you will be eating, Im sure she will be helpful and understanding!
  • live4thebeach09
    Options
    i'd suggest just declining and tell them you feel too fat to eat out because you weighed yourself this morning. they'd understand.
  • kappy2010
    Options
    Thanks everyone for these great tips! I feel more confident about it already! I've gone easy on the calories today, only 900 so far. And, I'm doing an hour of TurboFire tonight, so I should burn a bunch of calories and then can eat a little more. I'll also make sure to exercise in the morning and go light light tomorrow on the calories (no less or more than 1200).

Thanks everyone, again! I think I may try a salad right before with maybe a cup of chicken broth or something to fill me up!!!

Y'all are wonderful!