cross training for runners

Options
What is your favourite activity to cross train? I am training for a 30k and looking at maybe rowing for cross training but not sure if there is a better one? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Sleeping. That's where the magic happens.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner runner. I cycle and swim when the weather cooperates, which isn't very often in Michigan.

ETA: I also add more strength training in the winter months. Mostly body weight stuff.
  • madisonpw95
    Options

Right on.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Yep, I make sure I get my 8 hours every night.

But I also hit the gym a few times a week for strength training, yoga, and pilates. And do some occasional mountain biking when weather/time permits.
  • Inds13
    Inds13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical, do Zumba, Yoga, or strength training on my cross training days. I'm training for a half marathon. Good luck with your 30K!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Yep, I make sure I get my 8 hours every night.

But I also hit the gym a few times a week for strength training, yoga, and pilates. And do some occasional mountain biking when weather/time permits.

If only I could. I'm at more like 6.5 hours a night during the week. I get a bit more on the weekends.
  • boys4rmine
    Options
    thoughts on rowing?

...and sleeping? lol...........NICE ;)
  • boys4rmine
    Options
    I use the elliptical, do Zumba, Yoga, or strength training on my cross training days. I'm training for a half marathon. Good luck with your 30K!

Thanks!! Good luck to you, too, on your half :)
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I run 4 times a week and cycle twice a week.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, Spin and strength training for me.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I like rowing, although can only stand being on it for about 15 minutes at a time.

I personally do heavy lifting (stronglifts). But I am also not training for a long race so I can handle alternating days of lifting and running. I think as long as you do something other than running it helps.
  • marnybonte
    Options
    I like swimming for xtraining. It's low impact but great for endurance. A lot of people find it boring but I can zone out and find it very relaxing--sort of a zen workout
  • icywindow
    icywindow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running stairs, elliptical, and body weight/plyometrics as cross training activities, mainly because they're inside and it gives me some way to work out if the weather is uncooperative. Walking's a good one too. I agree with sleeping too xD.

I hope your 30k goes well! When is that coming up for you?
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Swimming and biking are great cross training activities. I also do weight training and use a rowing machine. Posssibilities are endless. I think the key is to just do something you enjoy. Play basketball or soccer or even just throw snowballs at your friends in the back yard.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    What is your favourite activity to cross train? I am training for a 30k and looking at maybe rowing for cross training but not sure if there is a better one? Would love to hear your thoughts.

I just discovered the rowing machine and i love it! there is pretty good amount of form to learn, but it's quite a workout. Check the concept2 site for lot's of good info and some videos: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos

I also bike a lot. This time of year that puts me on the trainer or at the stationary bike at the gym. I run 3 days a week and cross-train for two, and also do two body-weight strength workouts a week. I like the variety. :o)

edit: I am getting ready for a marathon in May.
    good luck!
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I do a 45 minute boot camp 2-3 times a week at my gym, and try to fit (vinyasa flow) yoga in at least once a week. I like rowing as well - definitely more than treadmill running at least.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership so I cross train at home. During this cold winter I've been using the Sworkit app for body weight circuit training. For certain exercises it calls out like overhead press, I keep some weights nearby and grab a pair to use. Otherwise it's mostly pushups, burpees, squats, Pilates-type core work, etc. The app is free but the pro version (a few more options) is 1.99 I believe. I really like it and work up a good sweat after 30 minutes.
  • Zurichman
    Options
    30k is a long race(18.6 miles)

I use to race serious I now cycle serious

If you are doing the 30k and want to finish it serious or easily I would recommend the following.

Pick your race date and then work 2 weeks before the race and work backwards for your longest run.

so

2 weeks before 15 mile long run
    3 weeks before 6-8 mile 1 mile sprints at race pace
    4 weeks before 13 mile run
    5 weeks before 4-6 1 mile sprints at race pace
    6 weeks before 11 mile run
    7 weeks before 2-4 1 mile sprints at race pace
    8 weeks before 9 mile run
    9 weeks before 2-3 1 mile sprints at race pace
    10 weeks before 7 mile run
    11 weeks before 1-2 1 mile sprints at race pace
    12 weeks before 7 mile run
    13 weeks before 1 1 mile sprint at race pace
    14 weeks before 5 mile run

When you do your 1 mile sprints in the beginning pacing isn't critical but as they increase it's very important and get you use to race pace. Do the warm up 1st and walk for a few minutes in between sprints.

If you have enough time in your schedule I use to do 1 week of LSD(long slow distance) and then the other week I did 1 mile sprints at race pace after warming up and did this to get use to pacing so 7 weeks would be 2 miles of race pace. You walk a couple of minutes in between and find a flat 1 mile course.

most training plans have a 3-4 month training phase and then work backwards from your race.

1-2 months of base phase
    middle of the 2nd month you start doing tempo work where you doing some speed workouts or training at race pace or possibly a weekly run 30 seconds faster than what you plan to race after a warm up. This gets you use to race pace so you don't go out too fast. During this phase you can do some hill workouts. At the end of this phase you do 2 weeks of speed. You can do a once a week of tempo running where you work on your form running.

The last 2 weeks are tapering

You never do more than 10% increase on mileage per week or speed distance per week. Every 4th week is an easy week for recovery.

You should be able to look at Runners World or Google 30k training plans.

If you want to do cross training you should do non bearing like swimming.

Good luck
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My Cross training is simple exercises,

For 50 secs on, 15 secs break 3-4times. Planks are 2min though
    I have lower crossed syndrome so these are good for me
    1) squat (face the wall squats - feet touching wall, do a squat, pick up a KB, place it back down and stand again)
    2) Push ups
    3) Monster walks - bands around both legs, in a slight squat position, step sideways back and forth (sorry no link)
    4) Planks (alternate w/side planks too) - work up to 2 min with legit form.
    5) Should press or KB swings

If anyone is interested,. here are some ideas with technique explained for some
    http://www.drvondawright.com/90-seconds-to-thrive-2/
  • boys4rmine
    Options
    race is the end of March...seems like it is coming up quick! Thanks all for the great suggestions.