CrossFit Workouts

Options
I am trying to figure out how to add crossfit workouts to the exercises. I just started and I know I am killing a ton of calories but not sure what is the best way to record them. Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    you burn 12 - 16 kcal/min moderate - intense exercise at crossfit.

1 hour crossfit, you spend about 40 min warming/stretching and only the last 10-20 min doing WoD

I put it in as CIRCUIT TRAINING (15 - 20 min) - about 250 kcal for me.

That's about 15 - 20 min of WoD(general). fits the bill.
  • I_Atent_Dead
    Options
    Not sure if you care to spend money, but another thing you could do is get a heart rate monitor or something like the Fitbit or Bodybugg.
  • JJHernandez78
    JJHernandez78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks much!
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You won't be able to accurately measure your crossfit workouts and anyone else who tells you anything different is misinformed or lying to you. Your estimates will be rough at best and a heart rate monitor won't help.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Fitbit isn't a HRM, so it wouldn't help you in this situation.

Since crossfit is so varied, you should just put out a spreadsheet and track calories and weight loss for a few weeks, then go from there.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

1 hour crossfit, you spend about 40 min warming/stretching and only the last 10-20 min doing WoD

where did the 12-16/min come from. I doubt though for most WOD, some maybe
  • erickirb
    Options
    I wear my HRM.

HRMs will not be accurate for cross fit. The calculation imbedded is meant for steady state cardio only, will most likely over estimate for all other forms of exercise as the oxygen uptake will be less.
  • jamaraaron78
    Options
    I've used my nike fuelband, where I can set it to track "sessions", but for the most part I won't enter my crossfit workouts, they're just bonus burned calories since my goal is to drop weight.
  • enigmaneo
    Options
    HRMs will not be accurate for cross fit. The calculation imbedded is meant for steady state cardio only, will most likely over estimate for all other forms of exercise as the oxygen uptake will be less.
    This +1.
  • blgmw2
    blgmw2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You won't be able to accurately measure your crossfit workouts and anyone else who tells you anything different is misinformed or lying to you. Your estimates will be rough at best and a heart rate monitor won't help.

A heart rate monitor won't work? Confused? I believe it will give you the best guess for the workout. We are all well aware when working your muscles trying to get an accurate caloric burn is difficult, not like cardio and that it does not include the calories burned afterwards but neither does strength training. A heart rate monitor is not perfection but definitely does help in tracking exercise calories burned. I do agree with FmkLft track your caloric intake and adjust accordingly after two to four weeks. Good Luck! It is a life style change and once you find what works for you, you'll be grateful. Again, Good Luck!
  • erickirb
    Options

A heart rate monitor won't work? Confused? I believe it will give you an accurate count for the workout. That does not include the calories burned afterwards but neither does strength training. A heart rate monitor is not perfection but definitely does help in tracking exercise calories burned. I do agree with FmkLft track your caloric intake and adjust accordingly after two to four weeks. Good Luck! It is a life style change and once you find what works for you, you'll be grateful. Again, Good Luck!

Just pulling a number out of the air such as 6 calories/minute would be just as accurate as an HRM for non-steady state cardio. Read up on the HRM, probably has it right in the manual. the reason why is that the HRM uses % of an estimated (unless you inputted your actual) max HR, to estimate the oxygen uptake during exercise. the calculation for oxygen uptake used relates to steady state cardio. Your HR becomes elevated from lifing and circuits for other physiological reasons, and such the oxygen uptake at that HR will be much lower than the HRM assumes it is, which then over estimates calories burned.
  • enigmaneo
    Options

A heart rate monitor won't work? Confused? I believe it will give you the best guess for the workout. We are all well aware when working your muscles trying to get an accurate caloric burn is difficult, not like cardio and that it does not include the calories burned afterwards but neither does strength training. A heart rate monitor is not perfection but definitely does help in tracking exercise calories burned. I do agree with FmkLft track your caloric intake and adjust accordingly after two to four weeks. Good Luck! It is a life style change and once you find what works for you, you'll be grateful. Again, Good Luck!
    Read up on how accurately an HRM can measure anaerobic exercises. The formula is very different and pretty much unmeasurable. From experience it will grossly overestimate calories burned. It's probably all over these forums too.
  • I_Atent_Dead
    Options
    What about the Bodybugg? You wear it all day long, including when you sleep, and it is supposed to give an accurate account of how many calories you burn all day long. (Regardless of whether you are sitting around or doing Crossfit or walking the dog or whatever..)

It claims to be 92% accurate but I've always wondered if that is really true or not.

It does not have a heart rate monitor built into it though.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

where did the 12-16/min come from. I doubt though for most WOD, some maybe

http://www.examiner.com/article/women-burn-12-calories-per-minute-doing-crossfit-according-to-recent-study
  • zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this, too. I guess it really depends on which WOD you're doing. Some are longer. Some more intense. Some are more cardio-based, some more strength, some a combo...