Too Much Sugar?

Options
My fitness pal is telling me that I am already over my sugar for the day and I haven't even had lunch yet! I ate a small apple before my walk this morning, and when I got home I had yogurt and granola for breakfast. I am at a minus for my net calories for the day, but at -3 for my sugar. Is this bad? I am not diabetic, but I do not want to become one!!! I am obviously going to encounter more sugar during the day and am concerned! (P.S. my carbs are still way under for the day). Under I will list some of my stats.
GOAL VS CURRENT
Calories = 1590 vs 335 (Net is -14, but lunch is coming soon!)
Carbs = 267 VS 63
Sugar = 39 vs 42

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    If you aren't a diabetic, then you have only had too much sugar when your carb macro is large enough to cause you to be deficient in protein and/or fat. As long as you are hitting those, eat all the sugar you want. What mfp automatic goals says about it is not relevant.
  • mrslreames
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying! It always says I have too much too. I feel as long as I am eating a clean/paleo diet, I should be ok
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If you aren't a diabetic, then you have only had too much sugar when your carb macro is large enough to cause you to be deficient in protein and/or fat. As long as you are hitting those, eat all the sugar you want. What mfp automatic goals says about it is not relevant.
    ^This. If you don't have a medical condition related to blood sugar (diabetes, hypoglycemia, etc.), sugar's just a carb. There's no need to track it unless you're curious, or want to show people that you can lose weight and still eat cookies.
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    So what you are saying is that as long as I am eating enough protein and fat within my calorie budget than I am not eating too much sugar? I would love to see a dietitian but I dont know how, and dont have like ANY money (student).
  • sarahmichel101
    Options
    Luckily I am young and healthy so as long as I change my lifestyle before I get older and sick I should be ok then eh? For me yogurt and granola seems like a good choice for breakfast, didn't really thing about the sugar.
  • Pixt
    Pixt Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Remember, the protein macro should be considered a "minimum" even though it'll go red when you hit it. And, you want to hit at, or close to the fat macro.

So, not overeating carbs means that you need to ensure that you don't eat so many carbs that you don't have enough calories left to get up to your protein and fat goals.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If your carbs, fat and proteins are on point, I wouldn't worry about sugar.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    So what you are saying is that as long as I am eating enough protein and fat within my calorie budget than I am not eating too much sugar? I would love to see a dietitian but I dont know how, and dont have like ANY money (student).

Yes, that is what I am saying. Sugar is nothing more than a carb. As long as you are hitting your macros (protein/fat/carbs), then eat whatever you want. IIFYM
  • sarahmichel101
    Options
    Well good, that makes me feel better. I eat enough protein and am i little low on fat, but not so much.