Net calories to total calories?

Options
Right now my net calories is at 772 but my total is 1426, should I eat more? I am not hungry right now but still have a few hours before dinner (already logged). What should I do? I exercised more than normal, I switched a walk for a 30 minute cardio/aerobic video with my normal workout routine and burned more calories than I normally do.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A day or two at a low net won't hurt you any. If it becomes a habit you might want to start planning your day a little better, though.

Or you could have some ice cream. Either way.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Right now my net calories is at 772 but my total is 1426, should I eat more? I am not hungry right now but still have a few hours before dinner (already logged). What should I do? I exercised more than normal, I switched a walk for a 30 minute cardio/aerobic video with my normal workout routine and burned more calories than I normally do.

MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise...so these calories get added back.....to keep the original deficit.

So, you want your NET to be at least 1200.

BUT, if you are using calorie burns from MFP .....they are estimates. Many people find the estimates to be too high. You might over ride the calories .....to a smaller number (say 60%).
  • Its_kay_10
    Options
    Thank you! Ice cream sounds really good. I don't have any though.
  • Its_kay_10
    Options

MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise...so these calories get added back.....to keep the original deficit.

So, you want your NET to be at least 1200.

BUT, if you are using calorie burns from MFP .....they are estimates. Many people find the estimates to be too high. You might over ride the calories .....to a smaller number (say 60%).

Usually I aim between 1200 and my MFP goal of 1460, I am generally in this range. Sometimes I go over and am very rarely this much under 1200. I am using calorie burns from MFP and my fitbit, with the negative calories turned on.
  • Womengineer
    Womengineer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It is all a game of numbers:
    MFP calculates the amount of calorie deficit you would need to lost 1 lb in a week (if that was your goal), then they subtract that from your BMR (basal metabolic rate) to get your daily calorie intake. When you work out you are increasing your metabolic rate so you get them added back to make up the difference. I have always aimed at meeting MFPs net calories for the day, but after doing more research I am thinking this was a mistake. It is like I have been eating back what I burned at the gym.