Wine!

Options
I enjoy a glass or two of wine in the evening. (White) I work out four to five times a week and am consistently UNDER my calorie goal by several hundred calories (this is including the 96-192 calories from the wine).

So my question is this. Am I sabotaging my weight loss efforts with my nightly glass of wine, or because I come in under my calorie goal daily it's okay?

Just curious on others input!

Thx!

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    As long as you're still getting adequate micro and macro nutrients, a small amount of empty alcohol calories is not going to hurt you.

Even if you're not getting proper nutrition, as long as you're eating at a deficit you will still lose weight. Not in a way that's great for your body, but nevertheless.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Some people will advocate ditching the alcohol for a while, others will say IIFYM (if it fits your macros). I'm in the latter camp, I believe in eating/drinking what you like if you can manage your overall daily/weekly goals. If you are achieving your weight loss goals with your current food and drink regime, then I wouldn't worry about it as long as your wine calories aren't adversely affecting your nutrient intake (i.e., don't sacrifice your overall nutrition just to have that glass of wine!).
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Be sure to measure your wine. A serving is generally 5 oz and is WAY less than you think. Doesn't even halfway fill my glass.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Some people will advocate ditching the alcohol for a while, others will say IIFYM (if it fits your macros). I'm in the latter camp, I believe in eating/drinking what you like if you can manage your overall daily/weekly goals. If you are achieving your weight loss goals with your current food and drink regime, then I wouldn't worry about it as long as your wine calories aren't adversely affecting your nutrient intake (i.e., don't sacrifice your overall nutrition just to have that glass of wine!).

totally agree with this!

I love my glass or two of wine too! I switched to having red wine more often than white because of the supposed health benefits red has over white.

If you enjoy a glass of wine...then enjoy it and log it. Incorporate it into a healthy lifestyle and you will be fine!
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a glass or two of white a few times a week and I'm losing. From what I have read, it's possible I might lose a little faster if I ditch the wine as there may be a correlation to a slightly slower metabolism with alcohol. The thing is, this is supposed to be a lifestyle change that I'm going to maintain so cutting out all alcohol completely probably isn't realistic for me. As long as it fits your calories and you are getting all nutritional needs met then I think it's fine.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I swapped the wine for brut champagne. Much lower in calories and insanely low in sugar!
  • jendavis1981
    jendavis1981 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I might have to give that a try myself. Thanks!
  • MegaMolly
    MegaMolly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've only been dieting for 1 week. I've had 2 glasses of wine and 1 of champagne. I just made sure I'm still within my limits. Still lost 2kg in 1 week.
  • jendavis1981
    jendavis1981 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I also drink 1 glass of wine about 3-4x/week (I don't on lifting days because a) I read it would hinder your recovery and b) it seemed to make me feel super sluggish the next day) and I'm losing.... anything in moderation, as long as you're in your macros I think is A-OK. Not to mention, a little bit of wine is good for your heart :)
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! IIFYM - I plan for 5-10 oz of wine per night - red for me - and sparkling is great too. My doctor said "no problem" - especially for red wine - actually can be benficial, if you don't over do it. And yes, as you can see from the profile pic, I still enjoy the occasional beer, although I drink about 1/10 of the beer I use to.
  • karenc118
    karenc118 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    a few years back i lost 36lb and always had a bottle of wine on a Saturday night, Im now doing dry January and lost nothing so far! If you've got the spare calories for it enjoy it! lifes too short to deprive yourself :)
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have a glass or two of white a few times a week and I'm losing. From what I have read, it's possible I might lose a little faster if I ditch the wine as there may be a correlation to a slightly slower metabolism with alcohol. The thing is, this is supposed to be a lifestyle change that I'm going to maintain so cutting out all alcohol completely probably isn't realistic for me. As long as it fits your calories and you are getting all nutritional needs met then I think it's fine.

^^This. However, the wine can relax my resolve to stick to a plan and contribute to additional snacking which doesn't help toward my weight loss goals.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not snacking with, then go for it. MFP for most is a lifestyle change or long-term plan so if you do like the occasional glass of wine, why not. I find if anything now, I savour and enjoy it that bit more, because I'm less inclined to reach for another so I'm satisfied.
  • Deja_Thoris
    Deja_Thoris Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am also in the "I have a glass or two of wine almost every day (more on weekends) and am still losing" camp. You'll be just fine - enjoy :wink:
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Alcohol slow down your metabolism because your body treat it as poison and digesting it first...anything else you ate got to wait. try to avoid drinking, really.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Alcohol slow down your metabolism because your body treat it as poison and digesting it first...anything else you ate got to wait. try to avoid drinking, really.

Well that's no fun. I'm willing to work a bit harder for a bit longer as long as I get to have my wine once in a while :) Life is TOO short!
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    No.

Just ensure it is only a glass or two and not a bottle or two.
  • SandraD1424
    SandraD1424 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you are still losing, I would say its ok.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would be considered being that far under with drinks that I may not be getting enough Protein, Fat, vitamins and minerals from the food I am eating.

Now if your caloric intake is 2000 cals you could easily hit your macros and micros with a couple drinks and be under your calories, but if you are at say 1200 cals, it is even difficult to get micros and macros eating best you can without the drinks