Loosing a lb a day?

Options
Just a quick question but is it possible to loose a pound a day? If my morning scales are correct, that's what is happening. Is there a reason for this? I don't think I'm starving myself and I think I'm eating well enough.

Is this just something that happens in the beginning?

Thanks for your advice.

My diary is open if you want to view it!

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    No, its just variation due to food/water/exercise. Weigh yourself once a week or once a fortnight, otherwise for every day you'll lose 1lb and feel pleased there will be one where you "gain" 2lb and feel depressed!
  • SarahJains
    SarahJains Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know, I said I wouldn't weigh myself daily! lol I will start weighing weekly.

Thank you for your reply :)
  • Cheryl6583
    Options
    I think if you were more than 20 pounds overweight and ate bread and potatoes before you started to diet and have cut them out now, you will note big weight loss at the start. If your energy levels are good while dieting--, rejoice!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Starting out there can be a short period of adjustment (person specific) after that much depends on how much you have to loose and a reasonable the deficit. A 2 lb a week loss may be pushing it, 1 lb can be more achievable. The closer get to where your body feels right it can get more difficult. So much of weight loss is person specific.

Take care and all the best
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Diary is not open.
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself daily...measure it but average it out over a week to get a more accurate result
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,685 Member
    Options
    http://justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/

Initial losses will be quick due to glycogen depletion, not fat loss. Losses will slow down once you start losing fat. Nice explanation in the link above.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    No, its just variation due to food/water/exercise. Weigh yourself once a week or once a fortnight, otherwise for every day you'll lose 1lb and feel pleased there will be one where you "gain" 2lb and feel depressed!

This is why I weigh everyday. If you only weigh once a week and the one day you weigh is the day you 'gain' 2lbs then you'll think you had a bad week, whereas if you weighed everyday you'd know you'd actually lost a pound.

Obviously everyone has to do whatever works for them, just putting another opinion out there.
  • SarahJains
    Options
    Should be - I'll have a look at the settings again
  • SarahJains
    Options
    Thank you for the link
  • SarahJains
    Options
    Diary is not open.

I have changed the settings - it was open to friends only. Whoops
  • ChristineOlivarri
    ChristineOlivarri Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have been losing a pound a day but I am very overweight 223 lbs and 5'5 I think my body is dropping it fast because I'm only eating 1400 cals working out an hour a day hard and not eating back my workout calories. I have never felt so good ( energy wise) in my life. I still have a ways to go .
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question but is it possible to loose a pound a day? If my morning scales are correct, that's what is happening. Is there a reason for this? I don't think I'm starving myself and I think I'm eating well enough.

Is this just something that happens in the beginning?

Thanks for your advice.

My diary is open if you want to view it!

What is your current weight and how long have you been losing 1lb per day? (How many days now or how many total lbs down?)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I have been losing a pound a day but I am very overweight 223 lbs and 5'5 I think my body is dropping it fast because I'm only eating 1400 cals working out an hour a day hard and not eating back my workout calories. I have never felt so good ( energy wise) in my life. I still have a ways to go .

Be careful. There are a lot of things to consider here. Your heart being one of them. If you're going to do this please don't encourage others, it's not how MFP is supposed to work.
  • ChristineOlivarri
    ChristineOlivarri Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Springfield19 I'm under doctors supervision. The OP asked if it was possible it is but not for everyone.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    That pound a day in the beginning is the universe's way of keeping you rewarded and motivated in the beginning :)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    From October through the holidays I gained 30 pounds and was immensely pissed/disappointed with myself. There were a lot of reasons/excuses - I never made the transition from walking outside to going to the gym when the weather turned cold and the daylight diminished, I had a death in the family in October, a 2-1/2 week trip leading up to Thanksgiving so I was on the road and out of my routine, then came Christmas/New Years and more traveling/visiting. Any other excuses? The sun was in my eyes. :huh:

Anyway, at the first of the year I got back into my routine, cut my daily calories back just a bit more, I'm getting back into my gym routine and from Jan 2 to now I've lost 11 pounds.

I've heard it called the "Whoosh Effect". Actually, I've had the same thing happen when I'd been in a plateau for a few months. I just kept plugging away and then I lost a pound a week without doing anything differently.

Whatever it is - I'll take it.

I like the idea that it's the universe's way of keeping me rewarded and motivated. :flowerforyou:
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Springfield19 I'm under doctors supervision. The OP asked if it was possible it is but not for everyone.

Ok, good! Best of luck.