I need a exercise routine! help!

Options
Hi, I have recently joined the gym, and I have been using the ellipitical and sometimes the machines to work my arms and legs. I do not want to lift free weights bc its always packed with guys. Does anyone have an effective workout plan for me so I can lose weight? And tone my thighs

Replies

• MrsHinNH
    MrsHinNH Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just bought the T25 Focus program from Shaun T and Beachbody. You have probably seen their infomercials.
    I have Insanity but am WAYYYY out of shape to attempt that one - (I went full on when I bought it and learned quick, I have to build up to that).

My T25 Focus program just came in the mail. You can either pay all at once or they are doing a pay over 3 month special - so...I did it. I know I can handle 25 minutes a day. I also go to the gym now and go on my lunch break for a 1/2 hour (all I can fit in) and will plan on doing the T25 at home. I'll let you know how that goes! Good luck! :)
  • molliecoffey
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I cannot make myself workout at home :/ I have tried several times. What do you do at the gym?
  • shawnakrebs
    shawnakrebs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree with MssHinNH, I have restarted my T25 after a long deal with sickness and all I can say is you wont get nearly the workout in a gym that you can with Beachbody workouts. Between Insanity, T25 and P90X there are tons of options. I recommend you go to Beachbody.com and look at their programs. I have personally done T25, Insanity and Hip Hop Abs..but I have heard amazing things with P90X.

Good Luck!
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    check with your gym and see if they have any workout videos available you can use there. The one I use to go to had P90X that people could use in the fitness room whenever they wanted to. If you dont like videos or your gym doesnt have any available what types of exercises do you enjoy? Are you more of a cardio type person, a runner, etc? In the mean time keep up with the elliptical or treadmill and maybe include some spin classes or cycling, they are great for the legs and rear :) Give me a better idea of what you like and what you are looking for and I may have some other ideas for you.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Firstly, toning is a function of losing fat while maintaining muscle.

The losing fat part will come primarily from nutrition. Create and remain in that calorie deficit on a consistent basis and the fat loss will come over not. Not linearly, as many expect... but it'll come. Patience.

Of course cardio helps in the calorie deficit department... so it's great that you're adding some of that into the mix. It definitely takes a back seat to intelligent nutrition though. Cardio is basically an adjunct to the nutritional part of your calorie deficit.

Then there's the resistance training... this is the stuff that handles the muscle preservation side of the equation. It's important. The smaller you are while trying to lose fat, the more important it is. Reason being - the leaner we get, the greater propensity our bodies have to lose muscle.

I don't know your stats or anything, but you likely want to include at least some resistance training in your mix. I'd say 2-3 full body sessions per week would suffice. The guys in the free weight area won't bite, ya know? But if you're too uncomfortable to venture in there, so be it... starting with the machines is perfectly fine. I'd have a longer term goal of graduating to free weights though... at least for the majority of your resistance training.

Machines or free weights, you want to focus on the "big bang" exercises that call on lots of muscle mass. So things like squat variations, hip hinge variations, pushing variations, and pushing variations are your best bet.

Examples of squat variations would be leg presses, step-ups, barbell squats, goblet squats, forward or reverse lunges, split squats, RFESS, etc

Examples of hip hinge variations would be deadlifts, cable pull throughs, glute ham raises, leg curls, SHELCS, RDLs, hip thrusts, etc

Examples of pushing movements would be machine presses, db or bb bench press, push-ups or modified push-ups, overhead press, etc.

Examples of pulling movements would be any row variant including machines and free weights, inverted rows, pull-ups (assisted or not), pulldowns, etc.

You can google any of these and see plenty of videos.

But at a bare bones minimum, selecting an exercise from each category and doing a few sets of 8-15 reps of each would suffice as a "workout." Throw in some core and arm stuff at the end and you're golden.

Very general, but it doesn't have to be anything special... it's the basics that do the most for people.

What I described thus far would be more traditional strength/resistance training. You could also throw in some metabolic work with weights, which are more cardio-esque... think circuits, complexes, etc. If you'd like me to elaborate on this, just ask and I'll be happy to do so.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    My gym has some seriously intimidating looking big muscled guys in the weight area and maybe it's because I'm old enough to be their mother or something, but they are sweet as pie. You could venture over there and try just one strength exercise and see how it goes.

In the alternative does your gym have a TRX system? If do you can do resistance training with that. My gym offers classes with the TRX but only at times I can't attend. I had a trainer show my some basic exercises on it and check you tube for them too.

Maybe your gym has kettle bell classes? Maybe do cardio at the gym and do resistance band exercises at home? Get adjustable dumbbells for home? Powerblocks has an adjustable system that you can use with a barbell. There's also bodyweight resistance training - I just started Strong Curves and there's a bodyweight only program.

Where there's a will there is a way!
  • molliecoffey
    Options
    My favorite is the ellipitical but I do not think that I can lose weight on it. :( I am kinda overwhelmed by the machines and when to do it. I get bored really quick so I try to keep my time at 45 min. :/ still trying to find a workout buddy that lives nearby. I am 5'10 and weigh 185. I have a one year old and still trying to lose my 70 lbs I gained. My goal is to lose15-30lbs I quit nursing my baby and I am gaining weight like crazy since then.
    I try to watch what I eat, but the last few days I cannot get below 2000 calories w/o feeling like I am starving. I ate oatmeal for bk. Almonds as snack. Turkey meatloaf and veggies leftovers for lunch. Yogurt for snack And a turkey wrap for supper. What am I doing wrong?
  • molliecoffey
    Options
    Also I found an article on working out I thought about trying.
    Month 1 work out 3x a week 40min.
    Doing cardio 20min and then the rest strength/resistance.

Month2 -4 /65min sessions
    25 cardio amd the rest strength/resistance.

Month 3 -5/90min sessions
    30min cardio and rest strength/resistance

The strength excersises are standing bicep curls, step-up, modified push up, shoulder press lounge, back row in partial squat, squatwith lateral raise. I do not know what.those are tho lol!
  • travelingsurgeon
    Options
    Hi!
    How fast do you want to loose the weight you gained?
    If you want to loose it in 1-3 months, the answer is simple: eat less than you burn.
    A routine for that would be:
    B: 1/2 c plain oatmeal
    S: Cliff Kid's Bar- I know they're for kids but they're really low in calories and very satisfying.
    L: Salad- I'd add lettuce, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, bell peppers, black olives, cucumbers, dried cranberries, and avocado. NO DRESSING! All the processed stuff or ones with oil are basically empty calories. I'd go with oil-free dressings (Cindy's Kitchen has some good ones), mustard, or balsamic vinegar!
    S: Oranges are good snacks and satisfy if you have a sweet tooth. The trick to make them last is to cut them in half, and with a knife cut each little triangle. It takes like 10min to eat and makes you enjoy every single bite.
    D: Trader Joe's has really good low calorie tomato soups. Otherwise I have a recipe on my MFP:
    -8 tomatoes
    -Organic Fresh Basil (as much as you'd like)
    -1Yellow Onion
    -Vegetable Stock, 3 cups
    -Half and Half, 1 tbsp
    -Organic Tomato Paste 2 Tbsp
    Plus a salad similar to the one listed for lunch. Otherwise there is this really good recipe on foodiefiasco.com for a low calorie pan-pizza that satisfies me completely! I recommend going on there for good low-cal recipes.

Exercise: Here is a good plan:
    Monday- Saturday: 45-60 min elliptical or running outside for 30-40min (at a rapid pace, otherwise I'd add 15 min if you're going less than 6mph) + some ab workout videos. I reccomend blogilates on youtube for 10-15 min and/or 15-20 min strength training with weights, because muscle burns calories!
    OR Aerobics videos. I recommend the Firm, but that costs money. Otherwise just do lots of running because that is the way to loose fat quickly.

I know you dont like to use the elliptical because it bores you- I'm the exact same way. The way I power through is either music on my phone and playing solitare on it or watching TV from your phone, etc. Or just go running outside, because that forces you to stay alert and you can look at all the pretty scenery!

If you want to loose weight slowly, over 3-6 months, eat more. I'd recommend the 1,500-1,700 calorie range. Keep the excersise as listed above.

Hope this helps!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i work out with the boys 3 days a week. trust me they arent scary. you pay your gym fees same as them so it's not like you have less right to be there just because you have ovaries.

look up strength training programs like strong lifts, starting strength, new rules of lifting for women, or strong curves. work out with free weights. resistance training is crucial to helping you preserve your current lean body mass while you workout. sudies show that it also helps with fat oxidation .
  • MrsHinNH
    Options
    Treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike...machines.
  • MrsHinNH
    Options
    I'm on Day 4 of T25 Focus- and it's hard - but wow....I feel GREAT after PLUS I'm still going to the gym at lunch time Monday - Friday.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have recently joined the gym, and I have been using the ellipitical and sometimes the machines to work my arms and legs. I do not want to lift free weights bc its always packed with guys. Does anyone have an effective workout plan for me so I can lose weight? And tone my thighs

GO LIFT FREE WEIGHTS. ignore the guys and find that spark inside yourself . Stop letting someone else control how you live your life.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    How fast do you want to loose the weight you gained?
    If you want to loose it in 1-3 months, the answer is simple: eat less than you burn.
    A routine for that would be:
    B: 1/2 c plain oatmeal
    S: Cliff Kid's Bar- I know they're for kids but they're really low in calories and very satisfying.
    L: Salad- I'd add lettuce, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, bell peppers, black olives, cucumbers, dried cranberries, and avocado. NO DRESSING! All the processed stuff or ones with oil are basically empty calories. I'd go with oil-free dressings (Cindy's Kitchen has some good ones), mustard, or balsamic vinegar!
    S: Oranges are good snacks and satisfy if you have a sweet tooth. The trick to make them last is to cut them in half, and with a knife cut each little triangle. It takes like 10min to eat and makes you enjoy every single bite.
    D: Trader Joe's has really good low calorie tomato soups. Otherwise I have a recipe on my MFP:
    -8 tomatoes
    -Organic Fresh Basil (as much as you'd like)
    -1Yellow Onion
    -Vegetable Stock, 3 cups
    -Half and Half, 1 tbsp
    -Organic Tomato Paste 2 Tbsp
    Plus a salad similar to the one listed for lunch. Otherwise there is this really good recipe on foodiefiasco.com for a low calorie pan-pizza that satisfies me completely! I recommend going on there for good low-cal recipes.

Exercise: Here is a good plan:
    Monday- Saturday: 45-60 min elliptical or running outside for 30-40min (at a rapid pace, otherwise I'd add 15 min if you're going less than 6mph) + some ab workout videos. I reccomend blogilates on youtube for 10-15 min and/or 15-20 min strength training with weights, because muscle burns calories!
    OR Aerobics videos. I recommend the Firm, but that costs money. Otherwise just do lots of running because that is the way to loose fat quickly.

I know you dont like to use the elliptical because it bores you- I'm the exact same way. The way I power through is either music on my phone and playing solitare on it or watching TV from your phone, etc. Or just go running outside, because that forces you to stay alert and you can look at all the pretty scenery!

If you want to loose weight slowly, over 3-6 months, eat more. I'd recommend the 1,500-1,700 calorie range. Keep the excersise as listed above.

Hope this helps!

Ignore the diet part.
    I didn't even read her exercise suggestions because the food part was so absurd.

Get over your fear of the free weights and just do it.
    You'll get better results with free weights.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym
    Hello MFPers. I would just like to post about what it is like to be a woman lifting heavy weighs amongst the men, and how you can overcome fears associated with being a lone she-wolf.

1. Yep, it's almost all men.
    There's very few gyms where women dominate the weight room. Some gyms have dedicated women's weight rooms, but from what I've seen they have less equipment. No thanks. I want access to every piece of equipment available. Quite frankly, I think dedicated women's weight section do nothing but foster the environment that the regular weight room isn't for women. It's like there is an invisible barrier that you're afraid to cross- don't be. Where I am at now, I can tell you from watching the guys that there's plenty of men that don't know what they're doing and a educated woman who walks in to the weight room has a leg up on an uneducated man.

2. How to get over the initial fear
    Start with the book "Starting Strength". If you read that book in it's entirety, you will have the foundational knowledge to lift weights. Period. You can now go in to the weight room and be more knowledgeable than most of the men there. Also, you can read any of the "New Rules of Lifting" books (including but not limited to New Rules for Women). There is no difference between how men should lift versus how women should lift. Once you've started educating yourself, walk in and start giving things a try. If you're worried you won't know how to clip the weights on the bar or other small details (I know I get hung up on the small details myself) just know that after one single day of orienting yourself with the equipment, you'll know. The maximum uncomfortability is one day. Also, you can always post specific (even stupid) questions here on MFP and save a little face if you want to. If you're REALLY worried, hire a trainer for one session just to walk you through the equipment (after you've done your reading, so that you know what you're looking for)

3. Go in with a plan
    Don't just go wander around, have a specific plan of attack. Use the NROL or Starting Strength or Stronglifts to plan your program, and every time you walk in the gym you will know what you're going to do in what order. When you start focusing on your program, you'll be less aware of goings on around you.

4. The men will look, and might even make comments. They're not necessarily creepers.
    Just accept it, you'll be a novelty and an anomaly. One of the things that happens in the weight room is everyone has downtime between sets, and people watch other people. Men watch other men, they watch women, women watch men- it just happens. It's one of the ways we learn while we're there. They're not necessarily judging you or undressing you, they're just killing time between sets and observing.

For me, I lift a decent amount of weight, sometimes more than some men, and with good form. It's an anomaly. I *frequently* have men come up and say "Your squats are awesome, I can't get close to that low!" or a guy said to me the other day "I'm jealous, you can do more dips than I can". When I started lifting, I thought all these comments were coming from a place of creeping, but I've come to understand that it's just them generally appreciating what I'm doing, and now I graciously accept the compliments and move on. There are some creepers occasionally ("Hey, I have a really good two person ab workout I'd like to show you") but like 95% of the time it's non-creeping compliments. I genuinely really like the compliments now.

In my experience, you get pretty equal respect when you do equal workouts.

5. With equal respect comes equal treatment
    You can't have it both ways, if you workout with the guys you're going to be treated like the guys treat each other. Guys aren't going to run over and offer to help you do things, but if you need help don't be afraid to ask a guy to spot your bench presses in between sets. (Don't ever try and talk to someone during a set. Ever.) If you take up a whole bunch of different equipment at one time doing some circuit workout, you'll get exactly the same annoyed reaction as if you were a man doing that exact thing.

6. Wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing...
    ...but don't come back here and complain if you're oogled when you're wearing a bra and booty shorts.

7. If you just suck it up and walk in with your head high and do your workout today, your fears will be greatly diminished by tomorrow. Just do it.

More here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169757-i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    I agree...if you want to use the free weights, do it! You pay the same $$ the guys do to use the facility and you certainly shouldn't be intimidated to use whatever equipment you like.

Go to muscleandfitnesshers.com They have some good articles on lifting and give you different exercises/tips depending on what you're trying to accomplish. Also, they published some books (101 Body-Sculpting Workouts & Nutrition Plans) available on Amazon.
  • ChristineOlivarri
    ChristineOlivarri Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have started going to the gym everyday and I don't like to be around all the guys or the skinny perfect looking girls, just yet. I do a one hour exercise class per day, Monday - Saturday and Sunday I swim for an hour. I also find that because I'm in a class surrounded by other people I work harder. Why not go to some of the workout classes held at your gym and start making it a daily habit?