Running advice :/

Options
Hello All,

So I have a question to all the runners out there. Well I guess it’s more like me needing advice :). I am just getting back into running due to an injury but, I have always used a treadmill before that. I ran on the pavement the other day and I could barely walk the next day! I was so sore! I don’t ever remember feeling this sore running on a treadmill. I use the elliptical on high resistance all the time and again never feel that much soreness. Now that the weather is getting nicer I would like to run outside but, I need to be able to walk the next day lol. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Have a great day! :)

Replies

• lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    STRETCH. STRETCH. STRETCH.

Also, running would make my hip hurt. It was very painful. After asking Dr. Google about it, I learned about some hip stretches that have helped me immensely. As an FYI, side planks are really good for stretching the hip muscles. I've been doing those every night (I'm not good at it, so if I can do it anyone can) and that has basically relieve the hip pain that was plaguing me.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Definitely stretch and make sure you're wearing good supportive shoes. Running on pavement has a bigger impact on the joints or at least I feel like it does.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have the exact opposite problem. Running on the treadmill makes my shins SCREAM!!! I would echo the above posters and say that you need to stretch well post run. Consider the possible sources of your pain and try different remedies to heal and then avoid them in the future. Good Luck! I absolutely love going for a nice long run on a lovely spring day!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    When you run on a treadmill, you are usually running on a flat surface or a slightly elevated surface at the same constant speed. Outdoors you have hills and uneven ground which forces your other muscles to kick in to help you stay balanced and go up and down hills. Sunday I ran outside for the first time in 6 weeks (due to weather I had been running on the treadmill at the gym). I was REALLY sore for the next couple of days.
  • betho217
    betho217 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Running outside on pavement is harder than inside on a treadmill. When you run outside you are exposed to head winds, small inclines and harder surfaces. You'll become a stronger runner by running outside. You no longer have the treadmill belt to propel you forward, all the effort is coming from you.

I love my foam roller and use it after every run to reduce soreness.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller.htm

I would suggest starting to use one if you don't already.

Good luck and keep on runnin' :smile:
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Without knowing where you are sore at it is harder to give tips.
    1. Stretch before and after.
    2. Have proper shoes.
    3. Pavement has a bigger impact on joints.
    4. Maybe your breathing is messed up as you are running at a pace that is to fast.
    5. Treadmill running, and elliptical workouts are not the same as running outdoors and will take some time to get used to.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    This is a good article on Transitioning from treadmill to outside

http://www.jennyhadfield.com/transition-running-from-treadmill-to-roads/
  • trn4hungergames
    trn4hungergames Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I doubt you are doing something wrong. If running was easy, nearly everyone would do it! :smile:

I've noticed that the treadmill and outdoor running (especially on concrete and asphalt) are two VERY different experiences! It will take some time to adjust, as on the treadmill you are really just picking your feet up as the belt moves below you, whereas outdoors you are having to propel yourself forward. The treadmill also has some "give" to it when your running, and the concrete has no give and your joints have to absorb the shock. (Same with the elliptical-- no impact on joints, no propelling forward)

Is the soreness in your muscles, or is it feel worst in your joints? The joints get so much pounding while running outside, it can be very harsh and hurt, so make sure you have great shoes, rest between runs, and don't try to increase your distance more than roughly 10% a week or you're liable to injure yourself again. If possible, run on softer ground and do trail running so that it isn't the same impact constantly.

It is your first run outside in a long time, just ease into it, do it more often, and it will become easier! I have gone from not being able to run a mile straight, to doing 5k in decent time, and now up to about 6 miles (with a couple of walk breaks :) (I am working towards a half marathon!)

I agree with lyzmorrison below, remember to warm up and get that blood pumping (I do about 5 min jog) and then fully stretch out. After your run, cool down and stretch again.

Keep up the great work and don't be discouraged!!! It gets easier, more fun, and super rewarding!
  • aaf2014
    aaf2014 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice and help! :)
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would try to continue running outside as it works more of your muscles. Running on a treadmill offers no variety, to where running outside you face uphills, downhills, turns, and as well weather changes. I started running about 2 years ago, and obtained all my knowledge and advice from the MFP Forums. It is here where I learned that running outside was better for you than the treadmill. While I am at the gym, and watch these people run on the treadmill, I think how fortunate I am to be able to run outside and have so much more to take in while I am running. With that said, it is truly about what you like, what your prefer, and which one will keep you motivated to stay running. I love running outside, to me it is the best. And I agree with BranMuffin, make sure you have good, supportive running shoes. Shoes will make a big difference.
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Shoes make a HUGE difference. On the TM at the gym I run in racing flats that have like zero padding. (They are uber light) If I wore these on the road I would be beat up within the first mile. For road work I have very padded (and pretty heavy) running shoes. Also, IMHO I find concrete to be much harder than asphalt for running. And brick or cobblestone...forgetaboutit.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    My favorite way of running is on a track because (don't know the technical name for the sorta spongy material they use) has more give and is not as hard on my knees. That being said... I don't really have access to one anymore so I have to make due with running outside. I hate running on the treadmill because I get bored. I just do some good stretching for about 5min before hand and I'm not TOO sore the next day (depending on how often I run). If I keep up with it 1-2x/week i'm good but I ran the first time in a few weeks last night and it was totally brutal (especially with these lovely Carolina hills).
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed not recommended is some type of recovery drink. I have found that a protein shake definitely helps with DOMS from running.
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Give it some time and take it slow, you need to get used to the impact. Your legs and joints will condition themselves if you build up slowly. Muscle attachments typically become inflamed if you aren't used to it (mine still do from time to time if I do a lot of running). Strength exercises can help if you know what muscle to target. If you have an area which is not pavement then it'll be easier on the joints and muscles.
  • livesmith
    Options
    I'd advise to make sure your form is good. Here's a decent picture: http://www.180kbellgym.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/4steps_running_180kbellgym.jpg
    I aim more for the balls of my feet, but mid or forefoot strikes are good. I'm a believer that with good form you're using your body's built in suspension system and you shouldn't need much if any padding under your feet.
    That said, if you're not used to it(or it's been a while since you've been running under these conditions) then your muscles are going to take some time to use them in this way.
    I started running maybe 4 months ago at close to 220lbs, am now down in the 180's, Currently running about 7 miles every other day. Have only ever worn Fivefingers or barefoot and have logged plenty of miles on pavement. I've had a few minor soreness items that lasted into the next day, calves, thigh adductors, etc. But nothing severe and it's generally all gone within a day. I've never run on a treadmill, so I don't really know about that, but I've read plenty that seems to indicate it's about the least favorable way to run.

Also remember to keep moving afterward. My biggest issue is if I get done with a run and then end up sitting somewhere for a bit, then those muscles start getting sore! Gotta keep the circulation going!

And don't forget to eat your protein to repair those muscles! up to 30 grams within 30 minutes after running for best usage!(I love a can of light tuna for the protein to calorie ratio!)
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    You wanna know why you're sore? It's simple really. Running on the treadmill is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from running on the ground, not just pavement. Why? When you are running on the treadmill the belt is propelling you forward. All you are doing is picking up your legs and putting them down. When you are running outdoors YOU are propelling yourself forward using more energy and muscles. You are actually exerting yourself more.

On the treadmill to simulate more of an outside running affect raise your incline to 1.5 or higher. It's still not the same but it is closer than no incline at all.