Lacking motivation

Options
I am having a terrible time sticking to my gym plans. I want to go 4 times a week, but it seems I can only talk myself into going 2 times a week. I will use anything as an excuse from I want to spend more time with my fiance to I'm sick. I am getting married in less than three months and I really want to lose abut 10 more pounds of body fat and tone up! I need to incorporate going to the gym to do this, but I can't make myself go! Help! How do you motivate yourself?

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I could write a novel on this! LOL But first, CONGRATS ON THE WEDDING!

Secondly, sometimes when we decide to make a goal we get a little too overambitious and expect too much of ourselves. I know when I first started I could ONLY do 3x per week, every other day for me to do it. It took almost two YEARS to work up to four days and now I'm up to 5-6. So if this is a new thing for you, don't beat yourself up too much - it's all new!

Also, something I do to make sure I get my workouts in is simply to not allow myself ANY excuse NOT to do it. In other words, I make my workouts 100% NON-NEGOTIABLE. I work out at a time when I'm least likely to be disturbed and those around me know NOT to interrupt me when I'm doing it.

I also gathered up a team of supportive friends whom I've given permission to bust me if they find out I DIDN'T do my workout. My husband is great that he'll say "You told me to remind you WHY you're working out." and oftentimes hearing my goals from the lips of others is enough to kick my butt!

Finally, do you LIKE going to the gym? Sometimes we don't bother doing it simply because we don't like it! I know for me personally I can't do the gym. I find all sorts of reasons why NOT to go - home workouts are the best option for me as it provides me with a no-excuses way to get my workout in. I also only do workouts that I really enjoy doing so if you don't like what you're doing at the gym, try doing something else until you find something you like!

Feel free to friend me! I got married in October 2012 so the memories of the lead-up are still quite fresh! Ha!
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you just haven't found the exercise that trips your trigger? Have you tried all the cardio machines at the gym? Have you considered a trainer?
  • indigo827
    Options
    Maybe you should switch up what you're doing at the gym. I started getting motivated to go when I liked what I was doing. (Different classes, routines..etc.)
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    First Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Looking back on all of my years of working out, the one thing that remained constant was a workout partner. I move a lot, so each move, I have to literally start all over. When in Guam I had a friend who would go walking with me. We had a set time that we would go walking, some days I had to pull her out, some days she had to pull me out, but most days we were both ready and waiting at the appointed time. At other locations, I have found that meeting a girlfriend at the gym has helped. We might not exercise next to each other, but we were both reliable to each other. Can you enlist a friend to be your workout partner or maybe even your fiancée?
  • DonnaElizabeth58
    Options
    I agree with indigo that your workout should be something you ENJOY. Gyms never worked for me because I didn't find it fun. A partner is a good idea too, mainly because it increases the fun factor. Maybe a class would work better for you? Personally I love Jazzercise. The music is great and the classes are motivating. But maybe for you it's bike-riding or swimming or learning to dance. It should be something you look forward to. It's hard enough to fit exercise in our schedules without the additional challenge of it being something that we don't find enjoyable.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    When you want something bad enough, you will do what it takes to get it regardless of motivation.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I decide the day before what time I am going (have set times for every day of the week, just not the same from day to day). Then I show up on time. Stop thinking about whether you want to or not! Its just like going to work - if you lay there in bed and think about whether you want to go or not, half the time you wouldnt show up there either. There are things in life you just do - doctor appt, dentist appt, laundry, dishes, etc. You dont think about whether you want to or not, you just do it. Put it in your calendar and show up!

Definitely agree with finding something you enjoy. I joined a gym thinking I would use the pool or take some of the classes. I went to one class and absolutely hated it. Then tried a personal trainer and absolutely loved it! Much easier to make myself go now! I actually look forward to it very much.
  • cevalid
    cevalid Posts: 59
    Options
    I motivate myself by remembering over and over how good I feel about myself after I go to the gym and reminding myself how much easier it was to be productive at work after starting the day with a workout.

I also have a yearly diary where I record what days I go to the gym/whatever excersize after I go. Opening up each week and seeing the days with the gym time written in helps motivate me.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I bring my workout clothes to work with me, and go right after. stopping home to "change" is a recipe for sitting on the couch and never budging again :)
    these days, I go to classes I have to reserve in advance - and they charge you $25 if you don't show up! amazing what a $$ incentive does. plus, I'm meeting a friend there every time, and if I don't show I'd be letting her down. no excuses allowed! :)
  • alliegator89
    alliegator89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lou - I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zumba, but I am on a very tight budget. I have to stick with the free gym membership through my health insurance that doesn't offer classes. I'm trying to teach myself to enjoy a standard gym work out.
  • jitsuda
    jitsuda Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Lou - I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zumba, but I am on a very tight budget. I have to stick with the free gym membership through my health insurance that doesn't offer classes. I'm trying to teach myself to enjoy a standard gym work out.

There you go!

I was gonna say you sounded just like me before Zumba. Sounds like you haven't found anything you like yet.

I'm married to an X-box owner so I do mine on there. Maybe you could invest in one of those DVDs? Maybe find some second hand stuff from e-bay?

While waiting for your DVD, make a good work out play list :))

Congratulations on your wedding!
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    do you want to look at your wedding pictures and say 'i dont like that one my arm looks fat, i dont like that one, look at my double chin...' no? then get your *kitten* to the gym!!!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I say 'Come on eldamiano. You can do it'. Just like that....
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    More a matter of discipline, like someone else said I kow the day before what I'm going to do the following day and I will stick to this plan.
    I'm training for my first marathon, so I have my plan in place, I know hopw many miles I need to run and what days I'm doing those miles and have routes mapped out for the next 3 weeks so I don't have an excuse.
    I pay for my block of weights class, pilates and PT sessions in advance so that if I don't show up it's costs me money (and there's going to have to be a very very good reason for me to do that)!!!
    You've got the motivation of your wedding in 3mnths, now you just need the discipline to follow through, try classes, try getting a friend to go with you, you'll be much less likely to bail on a class/session if you're meeting someone.

Good Luck
  • lalala541
    Options
    It will get easier...Eventually you'll get addicted the feeling of the endorphins kicking in after a long exercise session, and you'll want to spend more time there (I believe)...A piece of advice: it might be a good idea to spend some time on the treadmill, cardio is very effective when it comes to weight loss.

Here's an idea: how about you rewarded yourself (with something other than food) after having been to the gym x times?
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I motivate myself by saying:

'What would I be doing instead?' Which is normally sitting in front of the tv....that tends to spur me on....