Daily calorie intake? So confused

Options
I'm 5'7", 130 lbs., 19 yrs. old and am trying to gain muscle mass. I lift weights three days a week for a total of 90 minutes/week, and I do a short circuit (for cardio) three days a week for a total of 30 minutes/week. I've been eating 2200 calories a day, but I think I should be eating more. Is 2200 too low, too high, about right? Any feedback is appreciated.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 130 lbs., 19 yrs. old and am trying to gain muscle mass. I lift weights three days a week for a total of 90 minutes/week, and I do a short circuit (for cardio) three days a week for a total of 30 minutes/week. I've been eating 2200 calories a day, but I think I should be eating more. Is 2200 too low, too high, about right? Any feedback is appreciated.

Set your goal to gain 0.5 or 1 lb/week and eat back the exercise calories. If you are gaining more or less than the goal would suggest after 4-5 weeks readjust calories up or down.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Set your goal to gain 0.5 or 1 lb/week and eat back the exercise calories. If you are gaining more or less than the goal would suggest after 4-5 weeks readjust calories up or down.
    This^
    2200 seems pretty low though...
    And why are you only doing 90 minutes a week?
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options

http://www.musclehack.com/calories-to-build-muscle-calculator/
    This site has a calculator you can download that will probably help you out, I know it helped me. Also check out the next link for how to calculate macro's and a really good diet for building muscle and burning fat, its tuff at first but worth it, on my third week and lovin the results!!
    http://www.musclehack.com/best-bodybuilding-diet-plan-revealed/
    Using My fitness pal to help keep track of it all makes Alot easier!
  • PudgyFellow123
    PudgyFellow123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link pages so I won't. however, IMO, you'll need to find out what body type you are. Either you're an endomorph, mesomorph, or ectomorph. From there, you'll need to calculate what your caloric baseline is..

Mesomorphs – bodyweight x 15.
    Ectomorphs – bodyweight x 16-17.
    Endomorphs – bodyweight x 13-14.

If it takes 3500cals = 1 pound of body weight, so if you want to gain mass, the calculations are simple. Say you're an Mesomorph body type, 130lbs x15 =1950calories which is your baseline (maintenance weight). to gain 1lbs a week, you'll need to eat 2450 a day. Of course, if you're not sure what bodytypes are, google is your friend.
    Good luck
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're allowing to link pages so I won't. however, IMO, you'll need to find out what body type you are. Either you're an endomorph, mesomorph, or ectomorph. From there, you'll need to calculate what your caloric baseline is..

Mesomorphs – bodyweight x 15.
    Ectomorphs – bodyweight x 16-17.
    Endomorphs – bodyweight x 13-14.

If it takes 3500cals = 1 pound of body weight, so if you want to gain mass, the calculations are simple. Say you're an Mesomorph body type, 130lbs x15 =1950calories which is your baseline (maintenance weight). to gain 1lbs a week, you'll need to eat 2450 a day. Of course, if you're not sure what bodytypes are, google is your friend.
    Good luck

You don't need any of this. start with an intake if after a few weeks results are not what you expect, adjust up or down.
  • ThatsSOcleve
    Options
    I personally try to get around the goal calories this site tells me. I trust this fitnesspal thing. Lol

U need calories to burn weight so try to follow this website :)
  • messmyer39
    Options
    if your trying to build muscle it is also important that u takr in plenty of protien. if u way 130lbs you want 1.5 to 2 grams per lb. and you prob need to do more weight training
  • PudgyFellow123
    PudgyFellow123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    if your trying to build muscle it is also important that u takr in plenty of protien. if u way 130lbs you want 1.5 to 2 grams per lb. and you prob need to do more weight training

Yes, agreed, though 2gram/lbs does seem like a hell of a lot of protein :)

Nothing like seeing the results both visually and physically. Take whatever advise you're given. I believe they will all work. I believe in my system as that has worked for me, but only difference, I was cutting (-3500cals). If we're on MFP, we're probably doing the math already. So why not go the extra mile :)

I really hope you succeed with your goal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

This^
    2200 seems pretty low though...
    And why are you only doing 90 minutes a week?

this …I would say less cardio and more lifting..maybe do a four day upper/lower split with one cardio session a week just for general cardiovascular health..?