Almond Butter or Peanut Butter

Options

Replies

• ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i mix almond and peanut butter together at the market where they have those fresh grinders…its all about the portion size…one tablespoon flattened to fit the spoon nothing heaping…you must incorporate healthy fats into the diet…nuts, avocado, sunflower oil, flax seed, nutrasea hp are my go to…the fat didn't start to melt off me until i got good healthy fats into my diet…portion size…don't need much

Hmmm, now here's a thought ... I might try mixing... thanks!
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Both peanut and almond butter are good sources of the heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. However, almond butter is a slightly better source, with 5 grams per tablespoon versus 3.3 grams-per-tablespoon in peanut butter. Almond butter is a better source of fiber. Almond butter has four times more vitamin E than peanut butter. Almond butter is a btter source of calcium, iron, potassium, and zinc. Almond butter has a bit more fat than peanut butter, but that includes more monounsaturated fat and about half the amount of saturated fat. It also has fewer carbohydrates so it has about the same number of calories as peanut butter.

There you go.

^^^
    Wish I had seen this before I posted I would have saved the 2 minutes I wasted writing it...

Now I am confused again! LOL; I'll mix it together... Almond and PB...
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Almonds are nuts (okay technically they are the seed of the fruit of the almond tree, so truly they are a seed, but can be categorized with nuts and seeds). Peanuts are legumes. So, no, they are not the same.

In regards to which one you should eat...well that is entirely up to you. I don't like peanut butter. Never have. But I do like almond butter. I sometimes dip veggies in it and the like. It’s a good source of healthy fat and a little protein, too.

So long as you're not over-indulging and eating too much of either, you should be fine. Just be sure to log, and if you have a food scale, use it instead of just a tablespoon to measure it out. You’ll be surprised how much over a serving you will likely be if you just go based off of a measuring spoon.

Also, be aware of added sugars and whathave you in the ingredients.

Best of luck on your journey!

~Andrea

P.S. It is REALLY easy to make your own nut butter with almonds, cashews etc. Just Google!
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Beat me to it! :smile:
    Wow, I have read plenty of misinformation in this string. Peanuts are not nuts by the way. Despite their name they are in fact a legume. When you look at the fat content of a almond vs a peanut they are also not the same. Almonds have omega 3 fatty acids which have significant health benefits. These are also called monounsaturated fats. Peanuts also have these fats but they also out number the amount of saturated fats by 3 to 1 over almonds.

I would not go as far as to say it is unhealthy. Quite the opposite. I am just pointing out they are not the same. Plus that one key thing, it is a legume so it is in the bean family not the nut family.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Cookie Butter is my answer.

it should be everyones'.

trader-joes-cookie-butter-1.jpg
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    1381451217488_ChocolateCoconut.540w.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Almond butter is healthier. Peanut butter is very inflammatory. See here: http://thediabetesclub.com/is-peanut-butter-healthy-not-really/

Harvard says peanut butter is healthy.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/Is-peanut-butter-healthy
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I prefer peanut butter. Almond butter doesn't have much taste IMO. The difference between them is basically the difference between peanuts and almonds. Both are nutritious and high calorie because they are high fat.

Whoever told you almond butter is "much better" is either talking about personal preference or they are probably one of those "legumes are unhealthy" crazies.

I've never been much of a fan of peanuts or peanut butter in general. I LOVE almond butter's flavor, especially the crunchy variety.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I prefer peanut butter. Almond butter doesn't have much taste IMO. The difference between them is basically the difference between peanuts and almonds. Both are nutritious and high calorie because they are high fat.

Whoever told you almond butter is "much better" is either talking about personal preference or they are probably one of those "legumes are unhealthy" crazies.

I've never been much of a fan of peanuts or peanut butter in general. I LOVE almond butter's flavor, especially the crunchy variety.

Cool, more pb for me, more almond butter for you.

Oddly enough, I'm much more of a fan of almonds than peanuts if I'm eating the nuts whole. :ohwell:
  • ThatsSOcleve
    Options
    Peanut butter is what I eat to maintain weight
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter trumps everything.
  • ArtsyGarbage
    Options
    I prefer sunbutter that's made from sunflower seeds c: The one I use is 100 calories per tablespoon with 8 grams of fat, but ohmygod is it good. Some people don't know it exists, so I'm throwing it on the table.
  • morganrreed
    morganrreed Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i prefer almond because i feel like peanut butter is usually more processed and has more sugar
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love almond butter! I get mine from Sprouts, where the only ingredient is almonds. It's not low calorie but it is filling and definitely healthy! Almonds are very good for you :) The same goes for peanut butter, I only eat the kind that is just ground up peanuts. But at the end of the day I definitely prefer the almond butter. I eat mine on toast, with apples, in smoothies...the possibilities are truly endless.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

Cool, more pb for me, more almond butter for you.

Oddly enough, I'm much more of a fan of almonds than peanuts if I'm eating the nuts whole. :ohwell:

I'd say sweet but my mouth is full of almond butter, lol
  • liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    They are one in the same. Some protein mixed with a buncha fat. I make the peanut butter clouds when the need hits. 3 tbls PB, 1 container lite cool whip. Divide into 12 muffin cups and freeze. Yummo at 73 calories.

That. Sounds delicious.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So I heard that Almond butter is much better than Peanut butter but I was shocked to learn that 1 teaspoon is 90 calories (I had 2, ugh) and 7 grams of fat..... Isn't that bad ? What's the difference between the 2 then?

For one, calories have absolutely nothing to do with nutrition and whether something is healthy or not. There are plenty of low calorie foods out there that have pretty much no nutritional value whatsoever.

Secondly, fat doesn't make you fat...fat is an essential nutrient...it plays a vital role in hormone regulation, nutrient absorption, neurological function, heart health, etc. Nuts in general are chalk full of heart healthy monounsaturated fats that boost HDL cholesterol levels (that's a good thing)...they're also good sources of fiber and non-animal protein.

Third, it's really up to you. As butters go, I prefer peanut butter...as for eating the actual nut, I prefer to eat almonds but have never been able to get into the almond butter. I eat about 1 oz of almonds pretty much every single day for my heart health. As far as the fats go, peanuts have a higher concentration of polyunsaturated fats and almonds have a higher concentration of monounsaturated fats.

As a side note, the peanut is actually a legume...and it is a "bush nut." An almond is a true nut. As allergies go, people with nut allergies are often allergic to bush nuts like peanuts...but often, tree nuts are fine.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    1381451217488_ChocolateCoconut.540w.jpg

kelso.gif
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    i prefer almond because i feel like peanut butter is usually more processed and has more sugar

there are literally tons of peanut butter brands that the only ingredient is peanuts. if you're shopping for almond butter, they're probably right next to each other.