Questions for the ladies about hair...

Options
lorigem
lorigem Posts: 446 Member
So I'm going to attempt to stop washing my hair every day as I know it's very bad for hair health. I'm a bit nervous to do so since I'm not really into the "greasy look" which I know will occur after a day of not washing.

For those that don't wash your hair every day, what do you do to keep your hair smelling fresh? And when you shower on a non-hair washing day, do you wet your hair still or keep it dry?

Replies

• HaleyNorman1
    Options
    Go to any shoppers drug mart and buy "dry" shampoo.....you put it in your hair and it takes out grease and makes it smell good!
  • aura82
    aura82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't wet mine if I am not washing it.

Your hair will get used to not being washed every day. Should only take a few weeks. You could use dry shampoo on the off days for a start.

After a few weeks you will find your hair will look healthier. I have got mine out to about 4 or 5 days before I need to wash it, providing I haven't been super sweaty. :)
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every 2-3 days. I don't do anything to it on the in between days because I don't really get oily or greasy.
    But if my hair is looking a little frumpy I either use a little dry shampoo, curl it (curl holds better on "dirty" hair), or wear it up.

I use a shower cap when I shower w/o washing it. I can't be bothered to have to blow dry my hair every day.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair once a week ...I "rinse" it after work outs ..just a little water over it in the shower..

tips: use baby powder if your hair gets really greasy
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty dry scalp, so I only wash it once a week. However, if it starts to get greasy from workouts and such, dry shampoo is my hero.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Good stuff. Any recommendations on dry shampoos?

Baby powder: never heard of that one but makes sense! Will try too.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I can easily go a week without washing my hair and it'll only just start looking a little greasy but generally I wash it every other day.

If i workout on one of my "off" days, I'll just rinse my hair with water in the shower and spray a little leave on conditioner when I'm out.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I like the "Big Sexy Hair" brand, it's fabulous.

I tried baby powder one time, but I could still see the white on my hair. Do not recommend, personally. =/
  • itsHealthy
    itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question.
    Bump for repsonses to recommendations of dry shampoo.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I use Aveeno dry shampoo in between washing. It smells amazing.

I have curly hair ( so really dry) so I can get away with only washing it every 3 days or so. My hair would fall off my head if I was washing every day.
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every third day. I use baby powder on the off days, I don't wet it because I have naturally curly hair and straighten it. When I shower the other day I just make sure to avoid the hair :)
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't dry shampoo too often, but I like Dove. And it's pretty inexpensive.
    Avoid Tresemme's dry shampoo. Worst hair product on which I've ever wasted money.
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have naturally curly hair, and only wash it once a week- Since it is curly you cannot really tell if it is “dirty” or not, so I have some dry shampoo (for when I straighten it and can actually brush it) and baby powder (for when it is curly and I cannot brush it). I have found that when I use baby powder if I put on my finger tips and rub it into the scalp or roots it works best. Since my hair is dark the powder shows up quite easily if I do not apply with finger tips, Plus it’s nice to give your head a massage.

As for the other 6 days a week when I don’t wash it I just pin it up in a big clip and go on about my business.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Cornstarch, straight up. Dust some on your hands and work it lightly through your roots. Don't use too much, or you'll get that dusty look. I have unnaturally colored hair and washing is the bane of holding my color. I wash only once a week. Your scalp will eventually adjust.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My hair is thick, dry and wavy... so I co-wash (use conditioner only) on days I don't wash it. It still gets cleaned and smoothed, but I only shampoo every three days. A co-worker of mine swears by the dry shampoo, she hates the way her hair feels when it is clean... lol. so she dry shampoos mostly and washes once a week or so.

Oh and because it is 'wavy' I do wet it even if I am doing nothing so that the waves will 'reset'... otherwise its just a frizzy mess.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair once a week. I was lucky and was spared from puberty hormones making my hair greasy, so I've only ever washed my hair once a week. Besides, it's far too long to wash everyday (My hair goes to my bum). It takes too long to dry! :laugh:

I wear a shower cap everytime I'm not washing my hair. After swimming, I rinse my hair out from the chlorine, but don't shampoo, just condition the ends. Sometimes I rinse with apple cider vinger if I feel it's getting a little ratty.

What I've fond worked for me with the baby powder was to put it in the night before, so over night it has the chance to soak in oil and then brush out excess in the morning without leaving a dusty residue. Also yes, if you rub it in closer to your scalp that it better too.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Go to any shoppers drug mart and buy "dry" shampoo.....you put it in your hair and it takes out grease and makes it smell good!

This. Also, you can still wet your hair if you don't wash it and just finger massage your scalp to get rid of some of the oil.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,798 Member
    Options
    I just shower every other day, its bad for your skin also to shower everyday, my hair doesn't look greasy or smell or anything like that