Would going from 5'6 127 to 5'6 118 lbs be to skinny?

Options
So typical teenage girl story I'm 5'6 and 127 pounds and I feel really fat. All my friends (boys and girls) are very very thin so I can't help but feel fat around them. I've lost 21 pounds after I found out I had hypothyroidism and treated it. I was wondering if I weighed 118 would that look to skinny?

Replies

• WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    That's borderline underweight BMI. At 5'6" and 127 you are not fat dear. I'm the same height as you and my super small goal weight is 140 maybe 135. Maybe you should just try a lifting program to lose fat instead of losing weight.
  • CassiHutchings
    CassiHutchings Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Check out this page, and you can look at other girls/women your height and 118 pounds and see how they look. Hard to tell for yourself though, its really personal preference. I'm 5'6.5" and my goal weight is 130, but if I don't feel comfortable at that weight, I will certainly go lower. Whatever makes you feel comfortable without taking it to extremes (like dropping to 100 pounds).

http://www.mybodygallery.com/

Best of luck :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you're still a teenager, you're probably still growing. losing weight when you don't need to isn't healthy for anyone. even less so for someone who's still growing

really, at your height and weight, if you feel that you're fat, it's a problem with how you view your own body. look into why you feel that way, rather than trying to lose any weight. the weight loss from having the thyroid problem treated, that's healthy weight loss. if your weight has stabilised now, then that's probably because that's a healthy weight for you. if you still feel fat, then that's in your head and you need to deal with whatever's making you feel that way, so you can see yourself as the beautiful person that you are
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I personally don't believe BMI especially within the normal range. People can look quite differently with same height and weight.
  • CassiHutchings
    Options
    I personally don't believe BMI especially within the normal range. People can look quite differently with same height and weight.

^ Exactly.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options

^ Exactly.

True but if the OP is a teenager and at a HEALTHY weight then dieting to lose weight at this point in her development is not advisable regardless of how she thinks she looks.

To the OP...there will always be someone smarter, prettier, faster, etc. than you are and you just cannot base your goals or self-worth on how you compare to those around you. You are at a healthy weight and surely thin even if you don't feel like you are. I highly suggest you giving your body time to grow into its womanly shape without dieting or doing anything that might impair that process.
  • CassiHutchings
    Options

^ Exactly.

True but if the OP is a teenager and at a HEALTHY weight then dieting to lose weight at this point in her development is not advisable regardless of how she thinks she looks.

To the OP...there will always be someone smarter, prettier, faster, etc. than you are and you just cannot base your goals or self-worth on how you compare to those around you. You are at a healthy weight and surely thin even if you don't feel like you are. I highly suggest you giving your body time to grow into its womanly shape without dieting or doing anything that might impair that process.

Agreed.

To OP. I keep forgetting that you stated you are a teenager, and you even stated that you are comparing yourself to those around you. Of course, I understand where you are coming from, especially with you living in Cali. But, I agree with this post, in that you are certainly thin already, and you should let your body develop more. But really...I just looked at your profile and I don't consider 19 years old to be a teenager for some reason, it's not like you are 15. Maybe it's because I'm only almost 3 years older than you are. lol
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I promise you will look back one day (probably in 5 years, then again in 10 years, etc.), and realize you are in no way fat :). Probably doesn't help right now though.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    <---- Is 5'6 and 118.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    <
    5ft, 6in and 117.5lbs But I'm a 35 yr old woman who's body is done growing/changing.
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you keep thinking like that, you're going to do damage to yourself. It doesn't matter how thin your legs are or whatever other body image trends are happening. Are you healthy? Do you have energy? Are you happy with who you are? Instead of trying to lose ten pounds, I would focus on strength, endurance, and confidence. Isn't it cooler to be a bad*** than to be some skinny waif?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It depends. I'm 5'6" but my LBM a couple of years ago when I was thinner was 115. I couldn't be 118 with a LBM of 115, of course :D

I was always dieting in high school to try to be the weight of my friends around my height, and that was pretty dumb, considering. I'm sure my LBM back then was heavier than some of my friends' whole bodies, and I wish someone had told me about all that sort of thing back then! I was friends with a lot of tiny people with different body types than me (a lot of tiny ballet dancers, so it makes sense).
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Don't lose weight to compete or fit in with your friends. Sounds like you are at a healthy weight - don't risk hurting yourself just to be like some of your friends.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Argh! Double-posted sorry!
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As someone who's 5'8" (so not too much taller) 127 is already light enough. Work on strength and muscle if you are visualising that you are 'fat'. I don't think you are though. Don't get trapped into a 'fat-because-I-compare-myself-to-my-friends' mindset. You'll only end up resenting them and yourself. :frown:
    Check out this page, and you can look at other girls/women your height and 118 pounds and see how they look. Hard to tell for yourself though, its really personal preference. I'm 5'6.5" and my goal weight is 130, but if I don't feel comfortable at that weight, I will certainly go lower. Whatever makes you feel comfortable without taking it to extremes (like dropping to 100 pounds).

http://www.mybodygallery.com/

Best of luck :)

BTW I checked out that link - I love it!! I just checked out everyone at my current size and I love what I'm seeing. :bigsmile: I've always thought as a tall girl, I don't carry my weight well - I don't look 'chubby-cute' just pregnant (which I'm not). This is fantastic to see how other people my height carry their weight. Thanks for this:flowerforyou: . OP, I would recommend you see this too.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    If you keep thinking like that, you're going to do damage to yourself. It doesn't matter how thin your legs are or whatever other body image trends are happening. Are you healthy? Do you have energy? Are you happy with who you are? Instead of trying to lose ten pounds, I would focus on strength, endurance, and confidence. Isn't it cooler to be a bad*** than to be some skinny waif?

Agree,

I have a friend who is my inspiration, I don't look at her and say I want to be as skinny as her. I look at her and say I want to be as bad*** as her.

(as someone who is the sameish height as you. My goal weight is actually 130. But I want that powerful, strong body that looks amazing like my friend's)
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You should never compare yourself to your friends. It's a depressing thing to do and it can lead to an unhealthy body image. In my opinion you look freaking awesome and I would love to look like you. If you wanna try to get to 118 nobody's gonna stop you just make sure when you get there that you take a good look at yourself alone and figure out if you like your body better.
  • sgrmag99
    sgrmag99 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    http://www.mybodygallery.com

Just checked that site out. Love it. So much better than looking at unachievable beauty. Thank you for posting.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you are actually a teenager in high school, as I suspect from your post, I'm goign to say this:

Your body is changing. It is still changing. It is going to change. Short of taking dangerous hormones, you cannot stop it from changing.

It is normal and appropriate for a teenage girl's hips to get wider and for her fat percentage to increase. You cannot look at your pre-puberty, or early-puberty body and compare your post puberty body and tyink you can ever, ever return to it. You cannot compare your body to that of girls who are still going through the process. You can't make wider bones go away. You can't stop your pelvis from changing.

Even after you stop growing in height, your body shape and composition are changing throughout your teen years. It's a vitally important time for you to be making healthy muscles and laying down bone mass. Unsafe dieting to try to achieve a body that is no longer achievable can have a permanent negative effect on your health.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    http://www.mybodygallery.com

Just checked that site out. Love it. So much better than looking at unachievable beauty. Thank you for posting.

Me too! What a great site!