Can I get rid of a double chin caused by genetics?

Options
I've recently noticed that I have gained a double chin. I doubt it's fat because I have been underweight all my life. I have two theories on the cause. I think it stems from genetics/facial structure or the muscles under my chin are beginning to sag. Is there anything I can do to reverse this?

Here's a pic
http://s28.postimg.org/9pda2ma0t/image.jpg

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It looks like fat, bro.

One can lack muscle and still have excess body fat. It's called "skinny fat". Usually happens to those who don't do heavy, full-body strength training on a regular basis.
  • ThatGuy207
    Options
    If it is fat, would strength training reduce the fat in that area?
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Grow a beard. :drinker:
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Losing fat would reduce the fat in that area, as well as all other areas. Since you're underweight, you probably need more muscle all over your body.

Rigger
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Pretend to look at something on the ceiling or in the sky a lot... if you're always looking up, that will spot reduce the flabby area by strengthening those muscles. Perhaps take up birdwatching or become a meteorologist so you will have a hobby or profession that gives you an excuse to do this 'exercise' all day long. Werk That Neck!
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It's fat. You can either lose weight til it's gone, but if your already underweight that's probably not advisable, get plastic surgery to correct it or make peace with it.

OR grow a beard. Beards are great. Do that!
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    That's BARELY a double chin. Looks like the problem is more the fact that you have a small lower jaw. I have the same problem. A smaller lower jaw and a bad overbite. My dentist told me the only way to correct it is to have jaw reconstruction where they would reconstruct my lower jaw and pull my tongue back so that it is not pressing against my teeth.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you could try killing your parents. apparently that works for werewolves.

in case you dont want to go that route, you can also give losing weight a go :smile:
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Laser lipo. I know a couple of people who've had it done and had great results.
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    Options
    That looks like some small amount of fat, nothing to be bothered about. I have the same thing although I did have a larger double chin before.
  • ThatGuy207
    Options
    That's BARELY a double chin. Looks like the problem is more the fact that you have a small lower jaw. I have the same problem. A smaller lower jaw and a bad overbite. My dentist told me the only way to correct it is to have jaw reconstruction where they would reconstruct my lower jaw and pull my tongue back so that it is not pressing against my teeth.

Interesting. I also have an overbite and my tounge presses against my teeth. This does put the area under my chin in an awkward position. The only problem is I recently noticed my double chin about a month ago; everything was fine before then, so I doubt that I have a small lower jaw.

BTW I'm 20yrs old, 6ft, 167pounds
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    grow beard > losing weight
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Grow a beard. :drinker:

what i came to post
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'd talk to an orthodontist. If you do have an overbite, they can often correct that and it might smooth out that line. They should be able to tell you in a free consult. Or hold your jaw further out with your muscles and look at the area.

You can't spot lose fat. It might come down to learn to live with it or get cosmetic surgery.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude, so please don't take it as such.....but you said you have been under weight your entire life ( so I would assume you saying that you still are)....since when has 167 been considered underweight?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Looks like fat to me.

I would lift, eat at a deficit to lose overall fat. Eventually it should be much better.
  • ThatGuy207
    Options
    Not trying to be rude, so please don't take it as such.....but you said you have been under weight your entire life ( so I would assume you saying that you still are)....since when has 167 been considered underweight?

Lol trust me, no offense taken!

My underweight comment was based on the fact that I'm literally skin and bones(you can wrap your hands around my forearm and your fingers would touch).

I'm gonna look into this "skinny fat". This may be my problem.....maybe.