Hi guys my name is Rich! Can you advise me?

Options
Hi All

Firstly my name is Rich I'm 33 years old and have lived a very unhealthy life style for most of my adult life (Alcohol, Poor Diet, Stress Etc). My job is one I love....being a Chef I'm fairly active if not run ragged some day's.

That;s a bonus I guess but then there are the pitfalls finishing work and heading straight for the bar which is usually feet away and a poor diet (late night eating, picking and generally eating for speed often on my feet)

I have reached the point of pure frustration of having this damn belly on me..to make matters worse the rest of my frame is slim. I put a good couple of months of hard work(gym diet and total abstinence from alcohol) last year and made significant progress but I then had a bout of ill health which knocked me back. From there I guess I just went back to being lazy and carefree (back on the beer takeaways no gym since last April).

It would be cool to get chatting with some of you as I know you have the experience and wisdom to help me out. What I really would love is to get this belly down for summer which I think could be realistic but I'm under NO ILLUSIONS it will take time patience and effort...not just 15 sit ups a day :laugh:

Currently I am:

Off the beer (My biggest hurdle)

Doing light exercise every morning before breakfast about 15 min

Hitting the gym at least every other day - Cardio work burning about 350 calories per session

Diet wise I have taken to eating porridge for breakfast, soup and wholemeal bread for lunch and then a healthy dinner(grilled chicken and vegetables or similar). And I have started using sweetener in hot drinks as opposed to sugar.

Any advise would be great on how I can get the most out of my efforts would be a huge help!!!
I have googled around but I read lots of conflicting info and I honestly don't know what to believe or trust!

Nice to meet you all
Thanks
Rich:smile:

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You might want to pick up some strength training. Cardio is great for increasing your calorie deficit, but strength training helps retain your muscle along the way and gives you that toned body most people are after.

Also, you don't make any mention of logging your foods or how many calories you're eating. If you're not yet logging, that would be one thing I'd really recommend.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I also think strength training would make a big difference in your progress.

Are you currently doing any lifting?

Also, try not to be so restrictive with your diet. Most people fail because the cut out the foods they enjoy. Obviously, you'd want to cut back on the amount of discretionary calories you consume, but there's no reason to cut out all alcohol or desserts or whatever. Find a way to fit those in moderately.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hey Rich! Good for you! I'll echo what Dianne said. Log your food. You would be suprised what you're putting into your body and as they say: "You can't out exercise a bad diet". I'll also echo her recommendation to add at least one day (two would be better) of strength training a week.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Having a net loss of 50-ish lbs by now--there's been some ups and downs there--I've found that the best thing that I can do to make exercise and better food choices more sustainable for me is variety.

Understanding that I can eat what I like in moderation, and adding strength training as others have already mentioned, does a lot for me to keep things new.

But, I definitely have to keep track of what I eat. I also try to make sure I do something to keep myself active everyday, but I have a desk job and it doesn't sound like you have that problem with your job :)
  • Richey1875
    Options
    Wow Thank you for all the replies everyone :happy: I'm really grateful

I did a little strength training on my previous attempt last year and I did notice that arms legs etc still had a little muscle left on the so I will integrate that into my workouts again this time around. I do log my foods using the tools available right here its quite an eye opener:noway: for me even as a chef to realize the nutritional impacts of some foods.

In terms of my diet I should have no trouble keeping things varied because of my career, but what sort of foods should I avoid (bad) and try to get plenty of (good) for fat lose? Or is it simply a case of creating a calorie deficit by balancing exercise against diet also what is an ideal deficit?

Another question I have for you all is this. When at the gym is it better to "really go for it" breaking a heavy sweat and unable talk because breathing is so intense(i.e 170bpm) or work at a steady pace for longer periods maintaining a heartbeat of around 130bpms (I have read somewhere this is the fat burning "zone" do you guys agree?).

Thanks once again
    Rich
  • BikerJW
    Options
    Good for you! I agree strength training works. Especially HI IT workouts. The daily hi it will send you new workouts everyday. Or google it on YouTube and there are lots on there for free. Good luck.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    In terms of my diet I should have no trouble keeping things varied because of my career, but what sort of foods should I avoid (bad) and try to get plenty of (good) for fat lose? Or is it simply a case of creating a calorie deficit by balancing exercise against diet also what is an ideal deficit?

Since no one else put this link yet, here you go - it's an MFP classic and made just for your above question!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Regarding your cardio, there's a lot of YMMV. If you like a shorter more intense workout, do that. If you'd rather take a long walk/jog, then do that. Unless you're trying to achieve a specific goal (1st 5K run, faster marathon, etc.), it's best to do what you enjoy most, so that you stick with it.

You've got this!
    :drinker:

ETA: Sorry, I thought your intensity query was re: cardio. If you meant strength, that's a little different (but I kinda think "do what you enjoy most" still applies)
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

I go for 1g of protein per lb of LBM,...about half that for fats, and the rest can be whatever, but it's mostly carbs. But yes, weight loss is really just about creating a deficit. the macros are mostly just about body composition, health, and performance.

Another question I have for you all is this. When at the gym is it better to "really go for it" breaking a heavy sweat and unable talk because breathing is so intense(i.e 170bpm) or work at a steady pace for longer periods maintaining a heartbeat of around 130bpms (I have read somewhere this is the fat burning "zone" do you guys agree?).

Thanks once again
    Rich

As someone else mentioned, for your cardio High intensity interval training would probably serve you well. There's lots of information floating around on that subject.
  • tjmahoney
    tjmahoney Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi Rich, I'm TJ. You didn't say how much you need to lose but you're young and work in an environment where calories rule. It sounds like you have some behaviors to change so they will become habits. No worries on that; we all do and it's possible. I agree with what folks here have said; however remember to walk before you run. Since you asked, my advice is to start with the small, frequent meals and contain the calories. Not to oversimplify, but if your calorie intake is less than your calorie output, you'll lose weight. 5 to 6 small meals a day so your body knows food is coming in and you don't go into starvation mode, protein at every meal to prevent lean muscle loss, no carbs after the lunch meal so the body uses more fat burn for fuel and no alcohol. Fat is burned in the liver but if alcohol is present, the liver will preferentially detoxify the alcohol (it's a "toxin" to the body) and inhibit the fat burn. Push the water to 4 liters (a gallon) a day. No way around it and only plain water counts. Get a gallon jug, fill it in the AM, finish it that day.

Walking is the best exercise to lose weight as well as build up your cardio. Walk until your heart rate is 50-70% of your target heart rate. 85% of calories burned in the 50-70% range is from fat. (220-age=target heart rate) 220-33=187 so that's about 93-130. Walk every day, keep your heart rate in that range. 30 minutes a walk will do it. Interval treadmill is also good but get the walking habit first. When you want to start interval, here's a good quick recommendation with video. http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/09/13/interval-cardio-on-treadmill-for-fat-loss.aspx

Weight loss is important but it will only make you a "smaller" version of the shape you are now. Exercise like strength training, lifting and resistance is the key to the shape you want to be. It will also enhance fat burn but you may not lose as much weight as you'd like. Again, not to worry because you'll be trading fat weight for muscle weight. If you do jump into strength training, the scale you step on in the bathroom will no longer reflect the results that you're looking for. Measurements (chest, biceps, triceps, abd, waist, quads) and the bathroom mirror now become the "reflection" of what you're trying to achieve. Your weight "loss" will slow but your clothes will fit better in those L or XL shirts, your waist size will go down and people will notice you with a smile.

Feel free to friend me if mutual support and motivation will help you achieve your goals. We are all in this together. Good luck man!