Intermittent Fasting; Your Thoughts?

Options
2»

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I think the food people do (or don't) eat is still so much more important than trying to time when.

Eat however in the hell you best get your nutrients and can hit your goals.

Whether that's 15 meals a day or one humongous one ever 2 days.

I think all this takes away big picture focus. Especially when the average user here is happy their favorite snack now comes in a 100 calorie pack.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I started the IF group on here and have been doing LG (16/8ish) for about 3 years as it fits my schedule and I like to eat big meals. You can definitely gain weight if you eat enough so there is no ALCE days. IF doesn't change the laws of thermodynamics (despite what many die hard followers will tell you).

I've also tried Eat Stop Eat but didn't like it. (can eat too much on non fasting days if I let myself) ESE is basically 5/2 but before the BBC doco came out.

I'm personally skeptical on the "health benefits" of it (although I think increased insulin sensitivity is spot on) but as that is not my main reason for doing it I don't really care.

Also, "insulin fasting" seems pretty damn stupid to me. The premise is that if people only have fat intake it will keep insulin low therefore will burn fat. The downside is that you intake hundreds of cals of fats (normally coconut oil or butter) that you otherwise wouldn't. And as I said, IF doesn't beat the laws of thermodynamics.

I also don't recommend anyone try this if you have ED tendencies.

listen to this guy
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think the food people do (or don't) eat is still so much more important than trying to time when.

Eat however in the hell you best get your nutrients and can hit your goals.

Whether that's 15 meals a day or one humongous one ever 2 days.

I think all this takes away big picture focus.

I agree….

eat in deficit, hit macros, lift heavy ..

I did IF for about six months and it really did not fit into my lifestyle..i liked it but could not make it work for me. ...
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If the one you linked to was the one I was hearing on Radio 4 yesterday - I don't like it.

I DO like this, which is based on scepticism and science :)...
    http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Leangains Guide
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I started the IF group on here and have been doing LG (16/8ish) for about 3 years as it fits my schedule and I like to eat big meals. You can definitely gain weight if you eat enough so there is no ALCE days. IF doesn't change the laws of thermodynamics (despite what many die hard followers will tell you).

I've also tried Eat Stop Eat but didn't like it. (can eat too much on non fasting days if I let myself) ESE is basically 5/2 but before the BBC doco came out.

I'm personally skeptical on the "health benefits" of it (although I think increased insulin sensitivity is spot on) but as that is not my main reason for doing it I don't really care.

Also, "insulin fasting" seems pretty damn stupid to me. The premise is that if people only have fat intake it will keep insulin low therefore will burn fat. The downside is that you intake hundreds of cals of fats (normally coconut oil or butter) that you otherwise wouldn't. And as I said, IF doesn't beat the laws of thermodynamics.

I also don't recommend anyone try this if you have ED tendencies.

listen to this guy

I agree! Check out the IF group he referred to as well. Many helpful people there who have tested all the popular IF protocols during cutting, bulking and maintenance periods
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    It's not for me, but I think it works for a lot of people and I'm a big fan of people doing whatever works for them!
    ...as long as you actually eat enough on non-fast days, at least. I had some girl on my friend's list say that her dr. told her it was really healthy and great and blah blah blah, but then she deleted me when I mentioned that no doctor on the planet would say that fasting two days a week is a great idea when you're only eating 800 or so calories all 5 other days of the week. :ohwell:
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    I love it but there is definitely 5 different types of people it tends to suck for:

#1 Those that can't feast
    #2 Those that skimp on sleep and/or work night shifts
    #3 Those that are bored
    #4 Those that are Women (serious)
    #5 And those that simply don't want to do it

If your interested, here's a free short book on how you can tweak fasting to match your goals and lifestyle here: www.withoutagym.net/effortless-fasting