I want to try a short marathon

Options
I've always wanted to run in a marathon and I'd like to try with a short one first. Anyone have insights or advice for a newbie?

Replies

• echoslug
    echoslug Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Are you interested in a 1/2 marathon then or were you thinking more along the lines of 5K-10K?
  • Amconley
    Amconley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have good news and bad news. All marathons are the same distance: 26.2 miles. Maybe you could start out with a 5K (assuming you are new)?
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I have good news and bad news. All marathons are the same distance: 26.2 miles. Maybe you could start out with a 5K (assuming you are new)?

This. There's no such thing as a short marathon. Start with a 5K, then work your way up to a 10K. After that, do a half and then do a full.

Or, if you prefer to start with a full, Google Hal Higdon marathon training and there are workouts there that are designed for any skill level.
  • miladymarathoner
    miladymarathoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If there was a short marathon it would be the most popular race on earth.
  • RunningMom42
    RunningMom42 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This post made me smile! If you're new to running, try a 5K first.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to run in a marathon and I'd like to try with a short one first. Anyone have insights or advice for a newbie?

A marathon is 26.2 miles...there is no such thing as a short marathon.

I'd suggest starting with some 5K training and running some of those and work up to 10K..run some of those, then 1/2 marathon, and then a marathon. You could go directly to a couch to marathon program, but that is not generally advisable...at least I wouldn't advise it.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I got a little giggle out of it too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I just finished a short marathon myself. From my couch all the way to the fridge? Where my medal at?
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I got a little giggle out of it too.

This. In for the smiles! OP, the Hal Higdon & Couch to 5K really are great options to get started. Enjoy!
    :drinker:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

^^^^ Good advice here. Look up C25K
  • rynlgn01
    Options
    There are half marathons which is 13.1.. Runnersworld.com has lots of tips. find a beginner schedule and just stick to it... Don't be hard on yourself, if you have to walk a little then walk.. It's just likes any thing, the more you do it the better and stronger you will be!! A 5K is a great place to start... not sure what state you are in, but there are all kinds of running websites with calendars.. I would suggest picking a 5K, race that looks good to you.. - I always look for a cute shirt ;) .... and a race that I want to drive to... Also you will want a flat course to start.. So pick the one you like, put it on your calendar and google a training plan for it.. and just stick with it.. Good luck! I love running, its great for the body and the brain!
  • Dozer91
    Dozer91 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5K app or check it out online and it will help you get going, there is even a running zombie app that you listen to while you run. I hear it's super fun and keeps things exciting instead of running laps you are running from Zombies and learning intervals too. :smile: www.runningintheusa.com lists all the races that are coming up in your hometown. Pick a race that's coming up in a few months from now and sign up! Get out there! Good Luck!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    where is this magical place where 26.2 miles < 26.2 miles?
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5km is a great beginners program, I was able to run 8km after completing this (coming from someone who couldn't run for 60 seconds before I started).

yeah yeah OK there's no such thing as a short marathon. We all know what OP was trying to say, give them a break.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    A half marathon is a great first goal. It can keep you focused on running for weeks as you build speed and endurance. Depending on how far you can run now this could take one to six months, I think. Be sure to start with a decent pair of running shoes, a good safe place to run (I'd suggest a loop so you can build up distance by just adding laps on a familiar course), and look for a race to sign up for and set your sights on. Go for it!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    hey a short marathon is what those folks running a 6 min mile do:p
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Cupids Undie run is only a mile. Of course it's in your underwear.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    that be fun...though judging from some of the runners I see at races..May hurt the eyes..including me
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    he he. Yeah, I'm a total n00b. Thanks for the app suggestions. A 5k would be a perfect start. I was more interested on experiences and expectations before and after. Crowds make me nervous.