How many calories does standing burn?

I work in a pharmacy and stand for 8 hours a day, and from walking around the pharmacy, my pedometer usually reads around 1.5 miles. How many calories does standing burn, and can I factor this into my daily fitness? Thanks!

Replies

• jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    there's a website that promotes standing! they have a calculator to get an estimate of what you're burning

http://www.juststand.org/tabid/637/language/en-US/default.aspx
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    I work in a pharmacy and stand for 8 hours a day, and from walking around the pharmacy, my pedometer usually reads around 1.5 miles. How many calories does standing burn, and can I factor this into my daily fitness? Thanks!

If you've set your activity level to reflect that you have a job that keeps you on your feet, you already have factored this into your daily fitness.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    there's a website that promotes standing! they have a calculator to get an estimate of what you're burning

http://www.juststand.org/tabid/637/language/en-US/default.aspx

Interesting calculator! I wonder if the reason I lose weight on my fitbit's maintenance calories is because it thinks I'm sitting when I'm actually standing, because in both cases you're not moving.

I looked at 5 hours sitting v 5 hours standing, if I weigh 135lb, and the difference was 155kcal. It may not sound like much, but it can be almost the difference between activity levels on mfp.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member

If you've set your activity level to reflect that you have a job that keeps you on your feet, you already have factored this into your daily fitness.

This! :)
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Dont shoot the messenger, but I read this on the BBC website yesterday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20947605

Apparently standing is supposed to "Stand up at office to lose weight, says exercise scientist" is this likely to be true?

ETA***

I dont stand up at work, I have a job where I used to stand all day at a drawing board, but now all my drawing is done on a computer so I have to sit :( Can I blame sitting for piling on all this weight over the years ;) LOL
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    I had a coworker who changed her office setup to a standing desk. She just stands at her computer all day long, in one spot. I couldn't do it.
  • i just started using an adjustable desk at work this week. I can either sit or stand as I wish. I have found that each day I'm standing more and more. Today I kept track and I only sat for an hour out of a 10.5 hour day! After four days my back is feeling better and I'm more alert at work. I'm excited to see if this routine becomes habit and helps me to continue losing weight and to be healthier over all! If that JustStand calculation is correct I burned an extra 309 calories today vs sitting for the entire day. I'll take it!
  • I started standing late last year while I was pregnant with twins to help my back (it helped). I just came back from maternity leave and want to start tracking again. I'm happy to see that standing still is considered in MFP!
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    That website on standing is terrfic!! I'm going to try standing more at work, as we have two standing stations.
  • kkmark
    kkmark Posts: 559 Member
    Hi

I started standing at my work this week. Did it help anyone, any specific shoes you wear.
    Hope this helps me

Kathy
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    That's great! I've been standing ever since I posted here and it helps with counting your overall activity for the day and I wear tennis shoes/gym shoes OR barefood and stand on padding.
    Hi

I started standing at my work this week. Did it help anyone, any specific shoes you wear.
    Hope this helps me

Kathy
  • jss369
    jss369 Posts: 3 Member
    Treat the juststanding calculator with caution!

I've been factoring in calories used while standing based on the tables on http://www.juststand.org/tabid/637/language/en-US/default.aspx and my weight loss has stalled since I started doing that. Before, it was slipping down nicely and I'm still being careful to accurately record my calories so that's not what's causing the change. As a result, I've looked more widely at other websites and found that the juststand site seems very optimistic compared to others. I'm now continuing to stand as I work, because of the other benefits but I've stopped counting the alleged calories and I'm hoping that my loss starts again.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

This^

Many pedometer steps fall under activity level too. If you go for a specific brisk walk, then log exercise.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Work is not exercise - account for it in your activity level, but don't try and log a billion extra calories for it.