Can I roll unused calories over to the next day?

Options
I exercised like crazy today and have 500 calories left over after dinner. Can I tack these on to tomorrow's calorie allowance? :)

Replies

• smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't...
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I've seen some people add up their calories for the week and go from there. It's basically up to you, you may find more success doing it that way. Personally, I'd just rather take the deficit today and start anew tomorrow.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you like, it's your body and your body doesn't know what MFP is. Are you concerned about losing weight too quickly?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I give myself one free meal on the weekend so I save a small portion of my workout calories for that in case that I need them. Usually I don't but just in case I want that extra piece of pizza.

On Sunday night I lose all unused calories and start all over on Monday.
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you track by the week. I tend look at my weekly total as opposed to just daily. I can be over by 1000 calories one day and still finish my week at a deficit.
  • KPMP1992
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Is there a way to reset my calorie goal for the day, in case I have a lot of calories left over from the previous day?
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    you CAN, depending on how often you weigh in, personally: I would take it as a 'win" but not too often and treat the next day a-new!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
  • blackhawkwife2010
    Options
    NO!
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I do mine weekly... As long as you are around a 3,500 calorie deficit you should still lose 1lb a week.
    I don't necessarily reset my goal every day though, on the app it gives an average for the week and if you're under or over for each week, so I just go by that and ignore the big red number on the day.
  • AmazinglyKriss
    Options
    my only concern is.. are you using a HRM to track the calories you burned from excersize?

I've seen some people log cleaning vigorously on their excersize log and end up with huge deficits, and its probably no where near that amount, and cleaning (imo) shouldnt even count as excersize anyway.

I would just take it with a grain of salt and carry on to the next day unless you're 100% sure
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    NO!
    Really? :huh:
    Pretty sure if someone eats 1000 calories one day and 1400 the next it averages out to 1200 and is no big deal.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I plan on it =P At least this weekend. Zumba tomorrow, (and not eat all the calories back), Zumba on Saturday and then delicious Moroccan banquet..... :drinker:
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the day after a hard workout I'm STARVING! On days like that I'll use those extra calories (or some of them.) Other times, I'm fine and I don't need to eat anything additional. If I'm going to use them, they have to be healthy choices.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I do deficit days where i will go anywhere from 500 - 1500 calories below my maintenance calories just so i can splurge the next day. It worked and still works great for me.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes go for it I would. No second thoughts.
  • KPMP1992
    Options
    NO!
    Really? :huh:
    Pretty sure if someone eats 1000 calories one day and 1400 the next it averages out to 1200 and is no big deal.

Exactly what I was thinking. :)
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Sure.

As others have mentioned, a weekly count works just fine. Why? Because your body does not magically "reset" its calorie counter at midnight! (unlike MFP)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    You don't lose weight based on one days activities...it is an accumulated deficit over a period of time.

I save part of mine for the weekend...I still lose 2lbs a week.

I don't use them to splurge...I don't go off track...it just allows me to have some of the things...once a week...that I won't eat during the other 6 days.

I will agree...use your daily allowance each and every day...but the exercise calories...at least a portion of them won't destroy you if you save a few of them for a treat.