Does Advocare really help weightloss?

Options
I am at a standstill in my weight loss. Have a friend who sells advocate and swears by it for weight loss. Has anyone used it for weight loss? Is it a joke? Opinions please.

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    They are trying to make money off of you.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    no
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    It's totally unnecessary garbage. Read this and politely decline the friend. Then, when you've lost the weight without emptying your wallet, you can tell friend the good news!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yes I used in back in 2002 and I lost some weight. Thought I felt great, thought I looked great. Then I quite advocare and life hit me again. You see I never changed my eating habits so there fore I gain all the weight back plus some! Now that I have change my eating habits and I am moving daily I am loosing the weight the right way and I feel tons better and I have lost more weight on MFP than on adovcare! My energy level is much better NOT being on the product, but being on a natural high from working out!
    Personally now I think it is just a scam!
  • SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am a seller of advocare and I am not sold on the "weight loss" line. I think it's a load of crap. I do like their rehydrate (gatorade with less sugar) and spark (energy drink...mostly b vitamins and caffeine). I wouldn't waste my money on the 24 day challenge.
  • t73reed
    t73reed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks all...glad to hear and will use next time she asks!
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who used it and she has obviously lost weight, looks amazing! at the same time she began to cut calories (UNKNOWINGLY!) instead of a turkey sandwich with fries for lunch she would have a half sized spinach salad no dressing... she swears by "sparking" but I still think, wheather its advocare or WHATEVER, cutting your cals is most important! I am doing paleo and have lost weight and feel great. My break down is that cutting calories made me lose weight, paleo made me feel great! do what works for you!!!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    It all has to be about you for this to stick. No crutches. I read a different post on the maintenance board about another weight loss product, the person felt trapped to continue the program in order to maintain their weight loss. That's not how to live and be free.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Let me first start off by saying, yes I sell it. So some will jump on me, saying of course I like it I am just trying to sell it. They can think what they want. I 100% believe in Advocare. So much so I give my kids some of their products (Spark before karate and their other sports and Rehydrate during, plus some of their chewable vitamins as well). Unpaid endorses use it. Do they get their products for free? Sure, but the bottom line is they wouldn't use it if it didn't work for them.

With all of that said (and this is often missed by the people who are quick to jump on the fact that it is backed by a network marketing company), the 24 day challenge is merely just a starting point. Can you do it on your own? 100% yes, does the average person who works 40-70 hours a week have the time to set up a meal plan, check their ratios, make sure they are getting nutrients they are missing from supplements and then prepare their food, work out, etc....??? No they don't! I know I don't!

It is 24 Days long because it is meant to start you on a habit of eating right, feeling better and if you lose weight, great!!! People need to get off their high horses, there is no one way to lose weight. One thing may work for one, while it may not work for another. If you complete the 24 Day challenge and are happy with your results the odds are you will want to keep going, because you FEEL GREAT!!! Isn't that what we are all here for anyway???

Advocare works for me, why? Because it provided my family with a healthy eating plan to follow. Am I losing weight? Yup! Do you seem me on here going around saying oh calories in/calories out is bad? Nope! Advocare preaches, eating right, exercise and supplements. Not much different then what MFP does!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    It's MLM just like Amway or herbalife or visalus.......it not at all superior to anything you can do on your own and for a fraction of the cost. Save your money.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    No all you need is a calorie deficit and some exercise, it will get you there just as easily.... And you can save yourself some money too.... Best of Luck
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You've got crappy friends, fyi.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Let me first start off by saying, yes I sell it. So some will jump on me, saying of course I like it I am just trying to sell it. They can think what they want. I 100% believe in Advocare. So much so I give my kids some of their products (Spark before karate and their other sports and Rehydrate during, plus some of their chewable vitamins as well). Unpaid endorses use it. Do they get their products for free? Sure, but the bottom line is they wouldn't use it if it didn't work for them.

With all of that said (and this is often missed by the people who are quick to jump on the fact that it is backed by a network marketing company), the 24 day challenge is merely just a starting point. Can you do it on your own? 100% yes, does the average person who works 40-70 hours a week have the time to set up a meal plan, check their ratios, make sure they are getting nutrients they are missing from supplements and then prepare their food, work out, etc....??? No they don't! I know I don't!

It is 24 Days long because it is meant to start you on a habit of eating right, feeling better and if you lose weight, great!!! People need to get off their high horses, there is no one way to lose weight. One thing may work for one, while it may not work for another. If you complete the 24 Day challenge and are happy with your results the odds are you will want to keep going, because you FEEL GREAT!!! Isn't that what we are all here for anyway???

Advocare works for me, why? Because it provided my family with a healthy eating plan to follow. Am I losing weight? Yup! Do you seem me on here going around saying oh calories in/calories out is bad? Nope! Advocare preaches, eating right, exercise and supplements. Not much different then what MFP does!

You can get all the nutrition your body needs from the foods you eat and a multivitamin to fill in something you might of missed. Beyond that you don't need any other supplements for weight loss which is what the OP is asking.......
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Is that like Medicare?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Advocare - what a horrible name. It makes me think of some nutritional drink they would pump into people who are institutionalized and/or have medical problems that make them unable to process solid foods. This must be another new fad product, because lately I keep seeing it in the forums and I'd never heard of it a few months ago. I wonder what horrible name they'll pick out for the next re-branding.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Not much different then what MFP does!

There's your answer OP....from the advocare man himself.

Thought about lifting?
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Advocare - what a horrible name. It makes me think of some nutritional drink they would pump into people who are institutionalized and/or have medical problems that make them unable to process solid foods. This must be another new fad product, because lately I keep seeing it in the forums and I'd never heard of it a few months ago. I wonder what horrible name they'll pick out for the next re-branding.

Funny, because Advocare has been around for 20 years. To OP, yes it will really help you lose weight.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Funny, because Advocare has been around for 20 years. To OP, yes it will really help you lose weight.

To the OP, no, it really is of no help to lose weight. Weight loss is math, advocare is MLM products that are overpriced and nothing that you can't get from food. Pay no attention to people who shill products. I have yet to see a defender of this crap who wasn't selling it.
  • cms023
    cms023 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been on Advocare on and off for a few years. My mother in law swears by it. Honestly, I don't think any of the products help you lose weight. I do like the Spark, but for the energy factor. The MNS supplements kept me awake (they all have caffeine) and seriously taking 14 pills a day was crazy. I have done the cleanse a few times too. The first time I lost like 10 pounds. The second and third time I didn't lose any. So, in a nutshell....they do have some products I like, but not for weight loss more for the energy. Oh, and they are outrageously expensive!!!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    all you need is a calorie deficit and some exercise
    Solid advice.

There are plenty of Advocare supporters on MFP. Nearly all of them are distributers that have a financial incentive for pushing their brand. Be aware of the biased opinions offered here.