Shopping on a Budget/Not Getting Enough Calories

Options
I have a family of 3 (my husband, myself, & my mother) and I am on a really tight budget. Our food budget is about $400 give or take, We receive SNAP benefits (only about $124 a month), my husband and I both work part-time (retail positions, combined we average about 26hrs weekly), and my mother receives social security benefits. As you can imagine, money is extremely tight and at the end of the month we typically find ourselves at a food pantry. I am trying to be as healthy as possible but it is really a struggle. I bought a lot of fruits and veggies and low-fat options this month only to find that we are now under our calorie targets (like 800 under consistently). Each member of my family has 100lbs or more to lose but I want them to do it the healthiest way possible. I'm really confused with how to stay on budget and satisfy their caloric needs without exceedingly fatty foods. Is there anyone who is going through this or knows how to help? I'm open to suggestions.

Replies

• TheLovelyKenne
    Options
    Someone had suggested to eat 5 small meals a day but this is not really feasible. I work, and I commute via the city transit system (which is like a job itself); I'm lucky to squeeze in 3 meals and a few snacks.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Grains and legumes will add healthy calories and are cheap.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Look for more nutrient-dense items. Stuff like eggs, whole or 2% milk, nut butters, sweet potatoes, whole wheat pastas, dried fruits, dried beans and lentils, oatmeal, peanuts, bananas, brown rice, sunflower seeds...

Many lower-fat foods don't offer much in the way of calories. Fat isn't "bad", you just want to pick good sources of it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Don't buy low fat. Full fat options will have more calories.

Also potatoes, beans, and rice are all cheap but calorie dense options. Are you cooking mostly from scratch? Your budget is similar to mine (although I only feed 2 people on it) and I find it stretches a lot farther cooking from scratch than buying boxed meals and such.
  • almostplenty
    almostplenty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Buy dry rice & beans in bulk at Indian grocery stores, they're really cheap compared to regular grocery stores.

Cabbage is always a cheap, healthy veggie to cook with. Buy other fruits & veggies in season, they will be richer in nutrients and cheaper, too.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    5 small meals a day is not feasible for me either -- I just try to stay within my calories with my 3 meals and snacks. Have you tried bulk shopping -- like a big tray of chicken breast or thighs? It's just 2 of us and we do that and just separate it out in smaller portions -- it's cheaper for us than buying a small tray. You can probably do that too with frozen veggies and other food.
  • margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I try to get by on a $60 food budget a week, which works fairly well for the two of us. We eat a lot of beans and vegetables, and store-roasted chickens are amazing for us!

Mostly we try to make sure we cook as much as possible and go out as little as often to keep within a reasonable budget. You might try making soup with carrot, potatoes and chicken thighs. Try and find cheap cuts of meat and look up good ways to cook them so they taste good. Pinterest is a god send for recipes that are cheap!!

Generally we try to stick to 3 regular meals a day and 2-3 snacks. Snacks are usually fruit or nuts, things you can take with you easily. If you track exactly what you're eating for a few weeks, you will get a feel for what is high in calorie and what isn't. That way if you eat something lower in calories early in the day, you can plan for something heftier in the evening. Plan well in advance to see what will work and help you all toward your calorie goal for the day.
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    We have a tight budget as well. I use Frozen veggies, grains and legumes (such as lentils or chickpeas) to add to all of my meals. I also make some of the sauces myself (the bottle sauces are just too expensive).

I also have heaps of containers and then make a bulk amount of food and then put a proper portion into the container and freeze them. I then I take it to work for lunch.

I believes that it is far less expensive to feed everyone with proper meals than with Take aways. There are thousands of recipes for cheap but healthy meals out there. It is just takes a little bit more work and a bit of creativity and extra veggies but in the end cheaper and better for you.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to the Sunday paper and my mother clips and mails coupons to me. Then, I match coupons up with the sale ads. I also shop at grocery stores that double coupons. I have a stock pile for items and try to really buy only what's on sale in multiples so that I can add to my stock pile. My store has a lot of buy two get three free sales.

When I am looking for meat, I ask the meat department manager what time they mark the meat down (my store does it on Friday at 5PM). I plan my shopping trips around this time.

I also have a freezer in the garage to keep all the extra meats and frozen items.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Long grain brown basmati rice is really healthy and it is cheaper if you buy a big bag at an Asian mkt. frozen mixed veg comes in a wide variety of blends and is around $1.25 a lb. Eggs bought in bulk (SAMs club stacked flats) are a good price. A 5 lb box of bacon ends can flavor a lot of food. Add in some oil, soy sauce and a drizzle of sesame oil and you have fried rice. Dried beans are also very well priced. We lived off of fried rice and beans for 3 yrs while we paid off our mortgage.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    there is always top ramen soup, cans of tuna & at the grocery store u can find discounted meat or dry beans u can soak in water overnight until they swell & cook them.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Work more?
  • TheLovelyKenne
    Options
    Work more?

Lol yes! Working more would be quite nice if it were an option. We have been very blessed to find the jobs we have (we were unemployed for about a 6 month period last 2012-13) and we are both college students as well (because, really, truly, and desperately, we'd much rather earn 80,000 annually vs. about 20,000 currently). My commute to and from work would be a 10-15 minute drive but since I take the bus it can take up to 2hrs. Can you see where a second job doesn't really squeeze into the schedule? Things are not always so black and white but I appreciate the suggestion.

Also big thanks to everyone for your posts. I really appreciate all of these tips. I'm very new to the health thing and the whole grocery shopping thing as well (I'm 22). Throw in the budget and it seems I'm batting zero T___T
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    In college when I was 22 I subsisted on chef boyardee, cheap granola bars, ramen, tuna, bananas and frozen veggies. Not my best years, but I lost weight! I had an auntie that used to invite me over because 'I looked like I needed meat' :P
    If you can, get a crock pot, you can make decent soups with dried lentils and beans, frozen veggies, etc. Stock up on stuff when it goes on sale, like those giant bags of frozen chicken breasts, or when protien meat goes for a decent price, stock up and freeze. '

It might take some time to get in a rhythm, but try to shop by sales and coupons so you can stock up on non perishables. Its hard to get started doing that on a tight budget because we usually just buy enough to get us through until we have money again, but it helps in the long run to keep your freezer and cupboards stocked with things you can throw things together with, and replenish when they are at decent prices.
  • dancephysics
    Options
    Check out http://www.budgetbytes.com/. She posts meals that can be made for cheap, and they are almost always healthy, as well. She also includes the cost breakdown of all the recipes, and sometimes posts helpful tips, such as the proper way to freeze chicken. Quite a lot of the food I make comes from her blog.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eggs, dried beans, rice, farmer's markets for produce.

trader joe's is really good option for $10 i can get enough protein for 1 person for a week in eggs and frozen chicken thighs. $10 more i can get yogurt, avocadoes, rice, berries, sweet potatoes and bagged spinach
  • jbueza
    jbueza Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This might seem like a lot of work but I think it's worth it -- every night try to prepare your meals in tupperware (5 small meals) for the next day. Here's an image of how The Rock did his meals:

263x300xthe-rock-diet-meals-263x300.jpg.pagespeed.ic.P2jzpSOrzE.jpg
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Canned fruits and veggies often have higher vitamin content than fresh food that has been in transit for weeks and weeks. And they may be a cheaper alternative.

Buy beans and rice in bulk: try the ethnic groceries.

Grow your own food. Fresh sprouts in winter. Garden in season. Freeze the bounty. Order your seeds from a seed catalogue on-line. They will be fresher and have a better germination rate than what you buy in the stores. And the bounty only a few plants will give you will keep the family fed. Preserving your garden also helps feed the family in the winter.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    This might seem like a lot of work but I think it's worth it -- every night try to prepare your meals in tupperware (5 small meals) for the next day. Here's an image of how The Rock did his meals:

263x300xthe-rock-diet-meals-263x300.jpg.pagespeed.ic.P2jzpSOrzE.jpg

do you really think the rock did this, or did his nutritionist or PT prep it for him?