Spinach recipes, go!

Options
Vorcha
Vorcha Posts: 126
I've got myself a big ole bag of this: http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/58470140

What magical things shall I do with it?

Replies

• mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    fried with fresh chopped garlic and a little olive oil . YUM !
  • jillymurdoch
    jillymurdoch Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to get my spinach in small doses (a little hard to track, but that's OK, I'm mostly tracking for my pre-natal micros anyways). Today I chopped some up and threw it in my split pea and lentil soup before I heated it up. At dinner I did the same with my fiesta chicken and lime rice. I had some on an avocado and cheddar sammy the other day. I pretty much chop it up and chuck it into anything short of sweets like yogurt and berries. The small doses sure add up!
  • Tosca27
    Options
    Try adding a little creme fraiche as well as garlic and a little chilli :) very nice
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Spinach omelet! Great with tomatoes and a bit of mozzarella cheese~
  • amturps
    amturps Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Spinach pesto. Love it on brown rice pasta.
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    25 cent ramen noodles and spinach =< I can't cook...
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    We love spinach salad around here, add mandarin oranges, canned pineapple, or fresh strawberries when they are in season- then add a few craisins, and some pecans or almonds for crunch, and top with some raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Yum!
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    spinach lasagna

spinach & chickpeas Indian style (chana saag)

spinach artichoke dip

creamed spinach
  • mgleason01
    mgleason01 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sautéed spinach w. olive oil, onions and garlics

Spinach Lasagna

Try adding spinach to your smoothies - good way to sneak in vegetables.

Veggie egg white scramble - sautéed spinach, onions, bell peppers and mushrooms and then add egg whites.
  • breakingthecycle722
    Options
    25 cent ramen noodles and spinach =< I can't cook...
    I like you :)
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Throw some into anything you are making with a creamy sauce a few minutes before serving.

Sauteed spinach is also really good.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's baby spinach. Great for salads!
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    2 large dried red chile peppers (optional)2 bunches fresh spinach, washed and chopped1 bunch mustard greens, washed and chopped2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 teaspoon ginger paste2 teaspoons garlic paste1/2 tomato, choppedsalt to taste1/2 teaspoon white sugar, or to taste1/4 cup water (optional)
    Fry seeds and chiles and spices, add greens and cook until wilted, then add remaining ingredients.
    Or google "saag"

OR

Add spinach to an egg and cheese breakfast sandwich preferably with an English muffin and roasted red peppers:)
  • serenity56
    serenity56 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've been putting it in healthy chocolate smoothies. It's my favorite!

2 C Spinach
    3/4 C Almond Milk (or dairy)
    1/2 C Rolled Oats
    2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
    1 Banana
    1 Teaspoon vanilla
    2-4 ice cubes

You can add a couple drops of stevia if you feel the need to sweeten it (I think the banana and vanilla do a fantastic job on their own) and you can add a small number of actual almonds into the mix, too, if you like.
  • estatitra
    estatitra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Steam, chop, squeeze mix with greek yogurt a tiny bit salt. Awesome spinach dip.
  • newme201213
    newme201213 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Try Indian dish called " palak paneer'
    Palak means spinach and paneer is indian cottage cheese. You will find many recipes if you type this in YouTube .
    You can eat this with rice or wheat bread
  • anonniemouse
    anonniemouse Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas here.

I don't like lettuce so I tend to replace it with baby spinach in salads, pitas, burgers, etc.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Try Indian dish called " palak paneer'
    Palak means spinach and paneer is indian cottage cheese. You will find many recipes if you type this in YouTube .
    You can eat this with rice or wheat bread

*like*
  • TheWretchedFat
    TheWretchedFat Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A few nights ago I saute some mushrooms and spinach, mixed with some black beans and made a quesodilla :)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Homemade creamed spinach....

Saute 2 minced garlic cloves and about 1/4 of an onion, chopped (preferably sweet or red) in about a tb of butter til soft. Add in 2oz of cream cheese and 1/4 C of milk (can use reduced fat for either for sure, but try not to go fat free, esp on the cream cheese - consistency just is NOT good), a pinch each of salt and black pepper and a dash of nutmeg, and stir stir stir til it's all melted and creamy. Add in about 8 cups of washed and well dried spinach with any thick stems cut off - seems like a lot but it will wilt fast. Stir stir stir til wilted. YUM. That recipe (made with whole milk and neufchatel cheese) is enough for 2 big servings at 175 calories, 14g fat, 7g protein, 11g carbs and 3g fiber each.