Blood taste while running

Options
Hey all!

So while running today I developed a strong blood taste in my mouth I thought I was bleeding or something in my mouth so I spit a bunch and it was clear, but still had this bloody taste. Does anyone know what this is or what causes this? Should I see a doctor?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• FedoraNinja
    Options
    Try a checkup with the dentist, if you haven't been in for a while. I had a similar taste, and it turned out I had a massive cavity.

Your mileage may vary.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I had this when I first started working out really hard. Was it strenuous exercise? Do you usually work that hard? I asked my doc's office (the nurse, not my actual doctor) and he gave me a very long explanation in very scientific words which went in one ear and out the other. But what I basically gathered was that it was basically me working harder than my heart could keep up with and that extra red blood cells end up in the mouth through spit when your heart isn't pumping in and out enough. He said to keep an eye on it and to make sure I'm not overdoing it too fast and to come in if it continued for more than a week. But it can be so many things. I always try to make a list of any changes when something like that happens so I can give it to my doctor if I need to go in.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Iron deficiency from diet. Pound back some vitamins
  • GeordieRover
    GeordieRover Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lungs not keeping up.
    Can happen if you just woke up or are stressed and then lung bust.