DBF

Options
Hi everyone... I was just wondering if anyone on here has a spouse or significant other that needs to lose weight? My boyfriend needs to lose weight bc he is very unhealthy. I honestly love him no matter what, but I also want him to be healthy and happy with himself. I know he wants to lose weight, but it doesn't seem like he wants to do anything about it. I want to encourage him but it doesn't seem like he wants to talk about it. I know both of us have gained a ton of pounds since we met each other and moved in with each other. I'm just wondering how everyone deals with it? Or how do I encourage him? Or has anyone been this person? I hope I don't sound mean because I don't mean it badly. Thanks for the help?

Replies

• 19marie74
    Options
    When I first started this I was going it alone. My husband wanted to lose but didn't want to do anything about it either. So I started to cook healthier foods and change my habits and he started to notice. Slowly he did start to change what he was doing and I didn't ride him to force anything. Just changed what you need to change for your self and maybe in time he will see a difference and decide for himself that this is what he needs to. It takes will power to want to change your life and it takes desire. I hope he finds both soon. Don't know if this will help but good luck you.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I have been married for 18 years & have tried EVERYTHING to get my husband to join me on any weight loss journey that I start. I end up wasting my breath. Your boyfriend needs to be the one to decide to get healthy & the best that you can hope for is that once he sees you losing weight using MFP, he'll decide to join you.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I was the one not doing anything once upon a time, and dbf was the one who was watching what he ate. This will proly not be a very popular POV, but I think the best thing you can do is be firm and steady in your own choices. My bf was the one making lower cal choices and more sensible meal choices (he still doesn't like veggies but he eats some) and it made it 100x easier for me to just kind of tag along.
  • xxPeppaxx
    xxPeppaxx Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew..mine eat OREOS in bed....I wanna smash them in his face and then lick my fingers.
  • Stephomie
    Stephomie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do you do most of the cooking and/or grocery shopping? If there aren't unhealthy foods in the house, makes it harder to eat them. Clean cooking & just trying to set a good example is a gentle start. My husband recently joined Slimgenics, a local weight loss center, and has had great success so far (almost 15 lbs in 2 wks). It's expensive, which is a drag, but will be so worth it in the long run. Even with all the clean cooking, exercise & example setting I was doing, I couldn't get him to make the right choices, he had to do it on his own, & now my job is to support him & help him as much as possible. I have also reaped the benefits - dropped 10# in 2 wks! Wasn't really looking to lose much myself, but what the heck, must've been there to lose! It's a tough topic to talk about with him, be patient & make sure he knows you love him no matter what. Good luck!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Set a good example and ask him to support YOU. He may come around--he may not. If nothing else, when you cook healthy offer to make it for him too.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have tons of clients with this dilemma. The bottom line is just as the previous poster said ... you can't get anyone to want to change. It has to come from within them. That said, I've seen a positive impact where the woman (sorry to stereotype but I'm speaking about my personal experiences with folks) changed the way they shopped and cooked food. The things that really helped positively impact their men's health are things like:
    -- not buying any more junk food (empty calories, processed foods)
    -- stocking up on tons of healthy food and having them ready (e.g., bowls of already washed apples in the refrigerator)
    -- making new, healthier versions of meals that are already favorites and bulking them up with tons of veggies
    -- planning ahead (e.g., making double batches of brown rice, steel cut oatmeal, etc.) so that preparing delicious, healthful meals is easy and doesn't take a lot of time.
    -- eliminating beverages that stack on calories (sugar sweetened sodas/flavored/sports drinks, and juices).
    -- making healthful snacks for times like evening television watching so they are anticipating the urge to munch and countering it with something healthy (e.g., a sliced apple with a small amount of caramel topping swirled over the top ... looking good and giving a taste of something "naughty" via only a fraction of the normal portion).
    -- cooking only one portion of the limited portions of dinner (e.g., one chicken breast for each person, 1/2 cup of brown rice, or a single serving of potatoes, or corn or ....) so that when family members return to the kitchen for seconds, what they'll find is an abundance of things they can eat in unlimited quantities (e.g., broccoli, greens, etc.).
    I hope that helps. By folks leading the way with their own good behavior and explaining the lack of junk as something they are doing for themselves because temptation is just too challenging, they often clear the way toward better, more healthful eating on the part of everyone in the house.
    You can't do anything about bad eating they may do outside the house, but improving things at home will absolutely make a dent into the damage they were doing. Good luck with it all. Remember that you're not alone. Lots of folks are facing this challenge. You can do it for yourself and just hope that your family members' support for you will impact themselves ina positve way as well.
    I know that it's challenging but by your leading the way,
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew..mine eat OREOS in bed....I wanna smash them in his face and then lick my fingers.
    amen! My boyfriend does the same thing or he'll bring home a large pizza and eat it right in front of me and I'll just stare at him and he will be like " what no one told you to get skinny" bahhhhhhhh!!!!