Being a role model to your kids

Options
I'm here because of now, but also because of my future. I want to be another kind of role model for my future kids than the ones my parents were to me; less "do it by yourself" and more "let's do sports together as a family".

Recently when taking a walk I ran into a family of three, all on bikes, and both parents and child looked so happy when they pedalled in brisk pace toward a hill. I watched them go to attack on that hill and all of them just biked on, quickly disappearing from sight. I wasn't envious per se, but felt strongly they represented something I clearly hadn't grown up with. I still find myself drifting toward holding a grudge for not having had a healthy lifestyle built into my persona from the beginning, but since it doesn't do anyone any good to focus on what was lacking, I'm now trying to turn it into something constructive, for me now and a potential family one day. Obviously this doesn't apply to once kids have arrived already, but also when trying to become pregnant etc.

Have you reflected on what your parents gave you as far as a healthy lifestyle goes? Is it a motivator for you right now? Have you managed to reach your health-related goal already, thanks to your need to change for the better (compared to what was given to you in your childhood home)?

Replies

• earndien
    earndien Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I know where you coming from, i havent had kids yet but i feel that my weight is turning off falling weight
    and although we we brought up aver and my parents a more or less thin i found that i got my grandmother jean
    with weight ways!! so i know were you coming from,
  • 1808kristin
    1808kristin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know what you are talking about. I always feel sorry for the kids that are already morbidly obese before they turn 6 and you know it's the parents.
    Luckily my mom always made sure we have a balanced meal, unfortunately when I left home I kinda lost track of healthy and now I'm sitting with the extra kg's.

When I get kids I want to be like my mom.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Yes.

I played outdoors, even in weather that wasn't sunny and 70. I was physically active in a sport 6 days per week. My mom took the time and care to teach me nutrition and what to look for and what not to look for - long before there were those handy boxes on labels. As a result, I can eat sugary, fatty, less healthy foods without craving them. I eat less sugar in a day than even my diabetic friend, and I don't feel deprived.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input! We had healthy meals and were encouraged to play outdoors regardless of weather, but we never really did any sports as a family.