Running gear?

Options
First off I'm in Australia so any international or Australian retailers will be appreciated. I'm going to be new to running so that's why I'm asking. :)

So lets start off with shoes. I currently have the Asics Gel-1170 Women's Running Shoes. I have got blusters from them at least once but that may of been because my socks are too thin. Would I be better off buying lighter shoes or should these ones be enough?

I also recently discovered socks are important too... like I shouldn't just use a cheap pair or something. What brands do you guys use?

Also, for the woman, what sport bras do you girls use? I want something to hold it all. I'm not busty at all so keep that in mind.

How about pants and shirts? I am going to search for breathable fabric as it is summer here but any recommendations?

Thanks a lot guys!

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Shoes are all dependant on your own foot shape and running style. Ideally, you should go to a running store that can analyse this and recommend specific shoes.

Otherwise you could try and do a brief analysis yourself. You may be able to find a running foot shape website to compare yours against (e.g neutral shape) and then this or another website might sell shoes under these generic categories. Not as good as going to a running store but still quite good guidelines.

Dont just be fooled by the pretty Nike trainers that have the supposed new technology. It is best to do some of this research.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    First off I'm in Australia so any international or Australian retailers will be appreciated. I'm going to be new to running so that's why I'm asking. :)

So lets start off with shoes. I currently have the Asics Gel-1170 Women's Running Shoes. I have got blusters from them at least once but that may of been because my socks are too thin. Would I be better off buying lighter shoes or should these ones be enough?

I also recently discovered socks are important too... like I shouldn't just use a cheap pair or something. What brands do you guys use?

Also, for the woman, what sport bras do you girls use? I want something to hold it all. I'm not busty at all so keep that in mind.

How about pants and shirts? I am going to search for breathable fabric as it is summer here but any recommendations?

Thanks a lot guys!

THE RUNNING ROOM - is a Canadian store - it can be a bit pricey - but they have good sales.

I have a pair of NEW BALANCE I really like.
    OH BOY! Socks really are important! I like the Wright socks (double layers?) it's like 2 pairs of socks sewn into one. LOVE these! They are expensive - I only have 2 pairs.

My favourite bra is by far the Under Armor - I have a Walmart bra which is ok - just not fantastic.

Pants and shirt - well shirts I got myself some cheap breathable ones at Walmart - they do what they need to. for pants, I got myself a really nice pair of winter running pants - a must here in Canada! I go running in -32C -

I also have a "shell" - it's sort of a wind breaker - really like it - got it at the Running Room.

I'm guessing you don't need mittens, hat...

How about a good pair of earbuds... I always listen to music when I run.

Good luck! Take it one step at a time - don't over do it - start by running every second day so your body can recuperate! I also found that by doing this, I improved much faster. At first I even ran every third day sometimes and saw a huge difference.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It is best to find a running store that will analyze your gait as mentioned. Running shoes are definitely an investment, and may not always be the prettiest of the bunch. Shoes are a very individual thing so I can really suggest any to you beyond saying that I love Brooks. roadrunnersports.com or runningwarehouse.com offer good selection and pricing.

I use drymax socks. I bought 6 pairs and have been using them for over a year. I love them and have never had a blister. I've heard that cotton socks are bad for running. They don't wick and keep moisture close to your skin, with added friction, blisters are bound to happen.

I use champion bras, the max support kind. they do a good job keeping everything in place. For clothes, I shop target or old navy. I suggest finding pants that have drawstrings so you can tighten them as you lose weight.
  • Pintado
    Pintado Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Are you based in Melbourne? I got my last pair of shoes from Active Feet in Prahran http://www.activefeet.com.au/ and I thought the service was great. The shoes are slightly more expensive, but they were way more comfortable because they analyse your gait and support needs. Recommended!
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Are you based in Melbourne? I got my last pair of shoes from Active Feet in Prahran http://www.activefeet.com.au/ and I thought the service was great. The shoes are slightly more expensive, but they were way more comfortable because they analyse your gait and support needs. Recommended!

No, I'm closer to the Gold Coast. I assume they don't have a place based closer to me, would they?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am not in Austrailia so I will just give you general advice I have learned with sports bras to find a brand that makes them for "high intensity" sports, it should say this on the tag where the size is. I like Fila alot but I dont know if thats a brand in Austrailia or not. The low intensity ones are made more for yoga like sports so they wont hlep you out as much.
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    I work at a sports store so lets start off with shoes where are your blisters forming. It may be the fit of the shoe I wear my running shoes snug about 1/2 size smaller then regular shoes to ensure no slipping. My favorite running shoe is a brooks! They are lighter than aesics and still give the support.
    Sports Bra's- Honestly I have tried Adidas but they stretched out too much, Nike same deal stretched out but not as bad I buy a size smaller now so they fit even after they stretch out. MY favorite sports bra I bought at a walmart its champion brand and it hasn't stretched an inch for the last 2 years.
    Running clothes- I love under armour dry fit, they have all season gear and heat gear which will help you stay cool. The Nike Pro combat is about the same thing as the UArmour. I like to wear compression because it limits the chaffing!!

Hope that helped
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I work at a sports store so lets start off with shoes where are your blisters forming. It may be the fit of the shoe I wear my running shoes snug about 1/2 size smaller then regular shoes to ensure no slipping. My favorite running shoe is a brooks! They are lighter than aesics and still give the support.

It happens on the side of my heel. It has only done so once that I can recall but if I'm going to get into running I don't want to risk being covered in them. My shoes may be a little big... just by a little bit or maybe the inserts make my foot sit too high and sometimes it feels like I could slip out of them but it doesn't really affect me when on the treadmill or anything.