omg - backwards???!!!

Options
Ok.. was doing soooooo great up to now. I lost 18 lbs between Nov 1st and Nov 13th BUT I had a couple of nights that I ate much later in the evening and thinking back I didn't drink as much water as I usually do throughout the day on 1 of those days. I worked out the way I have been every night except for last night and I when I get on the scale I see that I am up 6 lbs!!! I'm taking in 1100-1300 calories per day and working out with a good heart rate and a good sweat for 30 minutes.

Does anyone know why I would be increasing in my weight? Does the time of day make that much of a difference? I got on that scale and I almost gave up - but I put on my work out clothes and worked out tonight and made sure I ate properly every 2-3 hours throughout the day including my vitamins.. what could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If it's that time of the month or a week before, it's definitely water weight. Make sure you are eating at least half of your exercise cals or you will throw your body into starvation mode (happened to me and it's VERY frustrating). Maybe you took in a lot of sodium. I find that weighing myself in the evening makes a big difference.

Good luck and dont give up....
  • itsmewendylee
    itsmewendylee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well, to lose 18lbs in 13 days is very unusual. Perhaps some of that loss was water weight in the first place and your body just got back in balance. Any time weight loss happens that quickly the body says "holy crap" and makes some adjustments because it thinks you are under stress. Time of day does make big difference too.
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    Well...I don't know much but I do know that 18 pounds is A LOT to lose in 2 weeks, no matter how good you're doing! My guess is that you lost water weight, etc. I lost 8 and then regained 3. And yes, the time of day does make a difference, but not a HUGE difference. I always weight 1st thing in the morning, naked and after I use the bathroom, but before a shower - makes me feel better ;-)
  • aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    18 lbs is way too much to lose in two weeks. You should only lose somewhere between 1-3 pounds per week to be healthy.

Thanks!

Amy
  • eylbrown
    Options
    thanks.. but what does it mean eating half my excercise calories?
  • STR0NGisSEXY
    STR0NGisSEXY Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You also might have started to add lean muscle mass. Which means if you keep it up, you will either start to lose more weight, inches, or both.

Make sure you are drinking enough water, getting enough calories, and keeping your sugar and sodium levels low, though.

Don't give up... :)
  • Rexie83
    Rexie83 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    18lbs over 13 days is very impressive! So overall I think you are doing well, and what angebean points out is very true - I would not fret too much, but keep doing what you are doing, don't give and up and you will hit those targets! I get a huge variation in weight depending on the time I way myself, whether I have had a lot to drink etc etc. Try to avoid weighing yourself over the next few days and when you do, weigh yourself in the morning before you have eaten anything.

Good luck and well done so far!
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options

When you enter your exercise on here it will tell you you've earned X amount of calories by exercising - 100, 250, etc. Then it adds these down at the bottom of your food diary to your available calories. Eat some of those :drinker:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    when you exercise, you're burning up calories, and using up vitamins and nutrition. You want to fuel your body, so eating back the exercise calories makes sure you aren't going without the fuel and nutrition your body needs to jkeep up with your exercise demands.

some people are afraid of eating them all, so they advocate eating back half of what they have burned.

I eat them all...and as you can see it hasn't slowed my progress :bigsmile:
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

It means eat half of what you burn off with exercise. So, if your daily allowance is 1200, you burn 300, eat a total of 1350 (1200 + 150 is half what you burn)
  • chichi1967
    Options
    I had a OMG moment last week when I gained back 3 pounds.... My monthly though this month was all screwed up. Did you weigh yourself the same time of day as usual..I usually weigh in the morning but by night time it's changed. Could be hormones & water.
    You'll get back on track - avoid those late night heavy dinners. : )

Lynda:smile:
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Well, 18 pounds in 2 weeks probably isn't all fat loss. It's probably a lot of water would be my guess - and that's why you see a big fluctuation. Especially if you're working out 30 minutes a day (I say that only because you probably haven't burned off 63,000 calories in 30 minutes a day - which if I did my math right, is the deficit you'd need to lose 18 lbs). I could be totally wrong, but that would be my guess.

Eating late in the evening makes a difference for me on the scale, BUT it's not because I gained weight.... I think it's because my body slept with all that food just sitting in there (since it's not doing anything to burn it off) - and it's still there in the morning (at least that's what it feels like and that's how I picture it). You know how you are heavier later in the day than you are in the morning? Well, if I eat late at night, it seems like it's still there in the morning (and my weight may be up very slighly - like 1 pound). Where if I go to bed feeling slightly hungry (or at least not full), I wake up and my tummy feels empty and ready for it's breakfast fuel to get you going (and my weight is at it's lightest point). That's what seems to happen if I eat late at night anyway....

Just keep up what you're doing and it should even out eventually.
  • eylbrown
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the responses! Very helpful! I know I feel WAY better than I ever have been and I notice my excercises are getting "easier" and I need to change it up a bit as well. starting tomorrow - the "step-up" begins! Thanks again everyone! And good luck to you all!