Is Eating Dinner Late, OKAY???

Options
I have such a full schedule that I find myself having dinner at 8:30pm or 9pm during the week. My dinner is still healthy but I'm just eating late. Is it okay? I'm not going over on my calories. And I usually don't go to bed until 10:30pm or 11pm. I started this website a week ago and in my first week I lost 6 lbs. so does it matter what time I have dinner?

Replies

• MarcieinSB
    MarcieinSB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have such a full schedule that I find myself having dinner at 8:30pm or 9pm during the week. My dinner is still healthy but I'm just eating late. Is it okay? I'm not going over on my calories. And I usually don't go to bed until 10:30pm or 11pm. I started this website a week ago and in my first week I lost 6 lbs. so does it matter what time I have dinner?
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you are. If it gets past 8pm, I won't eat very much at all. Fibers and oats become my friend at that point. I also wait 45 minutes before I hit the sack. Judging by your method, it seems you'll be okay as long as you don't put anything bad into your body at such a later point of the night..
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    In an ideal world it is better for us, in many way, to eat earlier and not go to bed right after we eat…..But, as long as you don’t go over your allotted calorie allowance for the day you will be fine. I have had to eat late a lot and I still lost.
    LoJo :flowerforyou:
  • Gator4RTR
    Gator4RTR Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would say try avoiding really late because your body may not have enough time to process the food that you eat at dinner. I know personally that if I eat too late that my blood sugars are elevated at bedtime. I may also get a case of heartburn from time to time.I understand that you are not going over on your calories, which is great!! But you need to consider how your body is handling the food late at night. Trying taking something with that you can eat earlier in the evening then if you are still hungry when you get home, trying having a light snack!! :wink:
  • nik433
    nik433 Posts: 57
    Options
    I don't really know the right answer to this but another poster on here brought up a good point on another topic. If eating late meant that we'd gain weight, they'd feed everyone in third world countries after dark.
  • mshandley
    mshandley Posts: 1
    Options
    Well, in countries like Spain and France, most people regularly eat their night meal after nine o'clock. Of course it is generally a smaller meal since their main meal is eaten around1:30 pm. Most Spaniards don't have a weight problem. I've visited Spain several times and I really like that schedule and the last time I was there I lost 10 pounds in three weeks even though I felt like I was eating (and drinking) all the time. Try different types of meals- more less protein, carbs etc- and see what seems to work best for you and how you feel the next morning. A high fat meal is probably more likely to cause heartburn.

A while ago I saw an article on research about eating times. Basically it said time of day doesn't matter (I think it was looking at the theory of not eating after 7:00 pm) since your body continues to process foods as you sleep and burn calories. Its the basics that matter - # of calories consumed vs # burned.
  • MarcieinSB
    MarcieinSB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks for everyone's response. :happy: