not having enough calories but too much sugar...

Options
Not sure how to have more calories but less sugar. Im lucky if I manage to have 1000 a day but my sugar level is over recommended levels. I dont have crisps cake or chocolate or ice cream. My downfall is homemade juice.

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires monitoring sugar, ignore it. Also, good read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Stop drinking juice. If you must, water your juice down, or blend it with a handful of ice. I pretty much stay away from juice and limit my fruit intake to 1/4 cup frozen mixed berries occasionally and the morning 1/2 banana added to my protein shake. Increase your protein and sugar won't even be on your mind. Also, unless your doctor has you on a VLCD, 1000 calories is going to eff up your metabolism. I eat small things, usually in 200-250 calorie increments 5-6 times a day, or about every 3 hours. It's tough and sometimes I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat BUT it prevents my sugar from getting low and thus I am able to make smarter food choices because I'm not craving carbs. Snack size baggies, tiny food containers, and 15-20 minutes before bed prepping for the next day will do wonders.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Eat less carbs- even just cutting out the juice will probably be enough, then eat more protein and fat.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If your goal is less sugar, then you simply must cut way back on the juice. Sugars are carbs, it doesn't matter if it's from cake or fruit. Then add more protein, dairy and healthy fats to increase your calories.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sugar macro on MFP - it is supposed to represent the USDA's recommendation for ADDED sugar in your diet but it counts sugars in all foods. There would be few people using the site who would be under the sugar recommendation.

Having said that, if you do juice remember that you are consuming far more calories/sugars than if you were eating the whole fruit or vegetable and getting almost none of the fibre. For instance, it may take 5 apples to get a cup of juice, which you could easily drink, but it would be far harder to sit down and eat 5 apples in a row.
  • silvervoyager
    silvervoyager Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    An idea, drink less juice and add water and protein powder to it.
  • dedgjonator
    Options
    I have a food phobia, I'm scared to try new food and when I do I gag and then I am sick. So as a compromise to try and get some fruit and veg in my diet I'm making soups and juices. I do feel quite bad that I cannot simply just eat. I do not know why I have these hang ups about food. Soups and Juices are what the doctor recommended as a compromise instead of offering psychological help. If I could afford it, I would love to try being hypnotized.
  • naariel
    naariel Posts: 37
    Options
    For your soups, you can add beans and peas, they contain more proteins and less sugar than fruits. Fruits and veggies (I mean fresh veggies, not legumes like the beans I suggested) are essentially carbs and micronutrients, which is good but very poor in proteins and fat and you risk some serious health problems if you don't eat enough proteins. (You also risk health problems without enough fat but you'll feel the lack of proteins way sooner, if not already.)
    Fruits and veggies = good, healthy. Only fruits and veggies = not good. If you tolerate liquids better than solids, protein powder seems a must add until you resolve your phobias. Adding cream and milk is also an idea to add proteins and fat and up your calorie intakes to 1200 min.

I don't know where you live, how your insurance works or even if you have one, but it seems like psychological help is crucial to maintain your health, at that point. I don't know if there's any way you could afford that help, for free or with the help of an insurance. (In my country and most of the countries around mine, there are free "psychological centers" and insurances cover psychiatrists though not always psychologists and other non medical psycho-something. I don't know how it works where you live, but you should definitely do some research on what is offered and/or insist to have more help from your doctor.)

I do think a diet in your condition is dangerous without medical supervision. How did you manage your food phobia before ? Did you always lack fats and proteins (because if you're under 1000 kcal and have too much sugar there's no way you have nearly enough proteins and fats), or did your diet change recently ?
  • dedgjonator
    Options
    Before starting MFP I was always eating precooked food, like Pizza, Pasta, chicken nuggets. Bad I know, it was all convenience food I could cook around the kids. At Christmas last year I lost my auntie jean to a heart attack and have recently decided to try and change the way I think about food. I know I need certain minerals and nutrients etc, which before I had none. I was also probably overeating, having two portions of food instead of 1.
  • egfinstad
    Options
    I used to juice a lot when I first got my juicer. Then as I researched it more everything I read said do NOT juice fruits as you strip away the fiber that keeps your body from absorbing the sugars too fast. It said to only juice veggies. What I did to make the veggie juice taste better was to add a small bit of fresh ginger root (you can buy it at any grocery store) and half a lemon. Also you can throw in half an apple to make veggie juices more palatable. Now I eat my fruit whole and unfortunately I can't afford to juice at all right now so I am also eating my veggies whole. I liked juicing the veggies because i would get a greater variety that way since there is no texture to deal with. Also I added benefiber powder to the juices. I'm also trying to cut my sugar intake for non-medical reasons (preventative) and it IS very hard. Take it one day at a time and remember that tomorrow is a new day to try again :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Before starting MFP I was always eating precooked food, like Pizza, Pasta, chicken nuggets. Bad I know, it was all convenience food I could cook around the kids. At Christmas last year I lost my auntie jean to a heart attack and have recently decided to try and change the way I think about food. I know I need certain minerals and nutrients etc, which before I had none. I was also probably overeating, having two portions of food instead of 1.

I wouldn't focus on the portion size right now...instead I would tackle this phobia that you have created. After conquering that...then you can focus on portion control.

I saw where you ate pasta...nothing wrong with eating pasta. I have it often. You can introduce a topping of stir fried vegetables on top of it. It is quick and easy. Throw in some lean chicken...you can use a can or fresh tomatoes...a few other things and in a matter of a few minutes you can have a well balanced meal. Even sprinkle some cheese on top.

We all have some type of phobia...the only way to tackle it is head on...taking control...one step at a time.

Don't overwhelm yourself...introduce a new food or two every week.

You mentioned kids...you are their example...they look to you for guidance...show them you are strong enough to do this.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Increase your Protein, this will benefit you so much --- go for lean protein sources.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you have too few calories but too much sugar it seems obvious what you need to do. Eat more protein and fat and less sugar.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Try to get more protein and fat, it will bump up calories and reduce your sugar intake.