how do i choose what clothes to fit my new body -help!

Options
i have lost 75.5lbs over the past year and ive gone from a UK 18 to a UK6-8 (sometimes 10) and i have a holiday coming up in march to tenerife where the sun will hopefully be out and ill have to bare my body!

im 46 years old. i have two older daughters and through years of yo yo dieting i have the remainder of stretch marks which are now wrinkly skin on my lower stomach :( this is acceptable and my own fault (partly) but i want to wear something nice beside the pool and i honestly dont know where to start.

i wouldnt feel right showing off my 'wrinkly tummy' but saying that i dont want to sweat in a one piece either lol

where do i start.. please help

helen

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tankini?

or try m&s for bikini bottoms with a higher waist.
  • nlbez
    nlbez Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well done on the great weight loss. As we get further into the year more swimwear will come out and u can normally get some lovely tankini 2 piece suits that cover most or all of the stomache area. You can get them in most shops m&s, debenhams, matalan. I hope you find what your looking for x
  • BennettV72
    Options
    I have a nasty scar down my front from rib to hip from a botched gallbladder removal and when I hit my goal, I plan to do a monokini. Maybe that would be something you'd feel good in? Or you could look for a 1-piece with mesh insets. I used to think one pieces were gross but they have so many chic and sexy options now!

Congrats on your weight loss and enjoy your vacation!
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Either go for a tankini as suggested, or try a 60's style high waisted 2 piece. They are great for showing off your body while hiding your tummy, and are in fashion at the moment
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    How about a sexy one piece that has the belly covered but the sides are open ?? so you see skin yet cover your problem spots :)
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Land's End (www.landsend.com) has some nice two piece choices with skirted bottoms that have a high waist. They just bare a bit of the midsection. They are really attractive on a variety of body types. How wonderful for you that you have shed so much weight! Best wishes as you continue on your journey!
  • staceycakes71
    staceycakes71 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss! Next normally has nice swimsuits, that you can mix and match with the fuller briefs. John Lewis normally has good range too.
  • positivity1967
    Options
    Well done on the great weight loss. As we get further into the year more swimwear will come out and u can normally get some lovely tankini 2 piece suits that cover most or all of the stomache area. You can get them in most shops m&s, debenhams, matalan. I hope you find what your looking for x

me too, trouble is i dont know what im looking for to start with really lol
  • positivity1967
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss! Next normally has nice swimsuits, that you can mix and match with the fuller briefs. John Lewis normally has good range too.

i shall have to go have a look and try things on. i usually order stuff online but then have to return them when they dont fit or look awful :)
  • positivity1967
    Options
    Land's End (www.landsend.com) has some nice two piece choices with skirted bottoms that have a high waist. They just bare a bit of the midsection. They are really attractive on a variety of body types. How wonderful for you that you have shed so much weight! Best wishes as you continue on your journey!

thank you for your lovely reply. i used to buy things from Lands End many years ago. I didnt know they did swimwear..I will take a look later! Thank you
  • positivity1967
    Options
    How about a sexy one piece that has the belly covered but the sides are open ?? so you see skin yet cover your problem spots :)

now i like the sound of that!
  • positivity1967
    Options
    I have a nasty scar down my front from rib to hip from a botched gallbladder removal and when I hit my goal, I plan to do a monokini. Maybe that would be something you'd feel good in? Or you could look for a 1-piece with mesh insets. I used to think one pieces were gross but they have so many chic and sexy options now!

Congrats on your weight loss and enjoy your vacation!

thank you for your ideas. i will go shopping i think :)
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would say a tankini is the perfect thing for you xx
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I love tankinis, but I will add this:

I promise there will be people there in tiny bikinis who are wrinklier and bigger than you. You'll probably know no one else there. Don't worry about it. It's your body and you can wear what you want.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have aweful stretch marks on my lower tummy too (Just from being over weight, no children!!) and I feel great in a high waisted bikini, I'd defo recommend!

As a previous poster suggested M&S have good ones, but I love the Kelly Brook range, stocked in New Look.

Congrats on your success and hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Just wear a thin cover up over whatever bathing suit
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love tankinis, but I will add this:

I promise there will be people there in tiny bikinis who are wrinklier and bigger than you. You'll probably know no one else there. Don't worry about it. It's your body and you can wear what you want.

I agree with this too though :wink:
  • ellie140
    ellie140 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    absolutely! flaunt it! xx ....oops agree with the post that says there will be worse than you!
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Either go for a tankini as suggested, or try a 60's style high waisted 2 piece. They are great for showing off your body while hiding your tummy, and are in fashion at the moment

this.

the style she is speaking of is also much more flattering than the tankini.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A one piece suit - especially in black - will look stunning on you. They have many with shirred stomachs so no one will notice any wiggles. I've spent a lot of time looking at runway picture lately and it's not just us middle aged ladies who look better with a little more coverage. Everyone does. And you won't have think about your body. Backs are very sexy and elegant.

You will look fantastic.

I wear one with a big wrap 'sari' (3' x 6' cotton shawl). I can wear it over my shoulders if I'm cool or want a sun block drape it over me as I walk for a little more modesty, or look very sexy in it as a skirt with my suit.

And don't forget the hats.

I also like really comfortable pants - like cotton yoga pants. When I was heavier they looked dumpy on me. Now they make me look slim and sexy. I also got a bunch of very inexpensive v-neck tops with short sleeves. Comfortable, very fitted, and again, sexy. They show off your new upper arms. Wear them with your bathing suit wrap, but tie the wrap at your wrists and you now have a flowing fitted jacket.