sickness. Bodies doing odd things?

Options
Anybody want to share an odd scale experience?

I've been at a plateau for weeks on a low carb lifestyle. Then I got sick with strep. My throat hurt, but I was hungry. So I ate anything cold. Which included ice cream and slushes. But I needed food and it Sucked to swallow anything equally much so I decided to get as many calories per bite as possible so I could take fewer bites. So I had some of a hamburger, fries, creamy pudding, potato soup, etc.

I didn't eat very much of each, but I probably got a good 2000-3000 calories both days. And since I barely moved out of bed I was expecting a good few lbs of water gain at least.

But I was still at my lowest weight... wearing clothes.

Don't know if I'm still dehydrated, or if the spike is delayed, or if my body just liked the carbs and sleep.

But my hope is that my body treated this like calorie cycling and used it to break the plateau.

Just curious if anybody else has had their body throw then a weight loss curve ball on the scale.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It could be any of the things you mentioned. It could also be that you over estimated how much you really ate. It could be that you were burning more calories that normal at rest because your body was fighting off whatever was making you sick. It could many things.
  • ShortStrut
    ShortStrut Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think typically, yes I do lose weight when I'm sick. Again because for the first couple days, if I'm willing to eat, all I will consume is like soup or liquid. But after a few days my body is jones-ing for some meat, like hardcore. So yeah, I think usually I'll eat whatever makes me happy at that point of the sick.

And for a little bit afterwards I'll keep that sick weight off, but it quickly comes back. No matter how hard I might try to keep at my shrunken portions, etc.

I've tried to eliminate that food cycle for myself though when sick, cuz sometimes I get sick a lot. So if I'm starting to not feel well just a little bit, I usually try right off the bat to increase fruits and protein. Just to try to ward off that lack of eating followed by super eating.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I was just sick for 2 days, and try though I might, I couldn't stick to my diet, and ate too much. I was expecting to see a gain in the scale, but I totally didn't gain any weight. I'm feeling better today, so hope to get right back on the horse and keep losing. Weird.