How often should you weigh yourself

Options
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after Christmas and totally changed my eating habits. I am on medication and am about 50lbs overweight. I get on the scaled everyday and have been very diligent about diet. As of yesterday I had lost 11lbs. Yesterday I ate what I was supposed to eat, nothing different and I gained 2lbs. How can that be? I don't understand how I could have gained 2lbs in 1day, especially when I ate correctly and didn't have any extra salt!!!

Help, I wanna cry!!

Replies

• staceysmomm
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate all during the day. I doubt you gained 2lbs in 1 day. Try weighing yourself once a week.
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate all during the day. I doubt you gained 2lbs in 1 day. Try weighing yourself once a week.

This! Weigh in once a week. Keep up the good work!
    Hope you can get off the medication and be free of diabetes.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

This..... My weight will go up or down as much as 5 lbs. over the course of the day...... pick a day and make that day your weigh in once a week first thing in the morning......... Best of Luck
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and use the site Trendweight.com to identify patterns over time. The smoothing techniques make daily variations meaningless.
  • growtinymuscles
    growtinymuscles Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The scale is a motivation killer! I recommend that you weight yourself the (same day and time...preferably the morning) no more than once a week! Instead, use your clothes and mirror as a guide. It is also important to know that it will take you around a month before you notice any changes...
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and use the site Trendweight.com to identify patterns over time. The smoothing techniques make daily variations meaningless.

This.

Weighing once a week isn't really any different than weighing every day and trying to read meaning into a snapshot. You could be retaining more water on this week's weigh-in day than you were last week (for any number of reasons), so the scale may say you have gained weight when you really haven't.

If you're new to regularly weighing yourself and you're becoming too emotionally attached to what the scale says, then just put it aside for a while, and focus your energy on improving your diet and exercise habits. The scale will take care of itself if you have those two things under control.

But if you're going to weigh every day, learn how to use the information to evaluate your progress OVER TIME, not just from one day to the next.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Natural body weight fluctuations. You have water retention/release, more/less waste in your system, food and beverage in/out, varying degrees of glycogen stores, etc. Nobody weighs exactly XXX lbs...body weight isn't static. Therefore, your losses aren't linear.

Your weight...whether losing, maintaining, or gaining is a general trend over time, not day to day. I've been maintaining for about 8 months...my weight generally fluctuates between 179 lbs and 185 Lbs with my 8 month average being 183 Lbs. Tuesday I was 185.6 Lbs...yesterday I was 183.5 lbs...this morning I was 179.9 Lbs...for whatever reason, I always have a whoosh of water weight on Thursdays..it's pretty much been that way since I started doing all of this. Thursdays are usually my light days...Tuesdays are my heavy days. It's almost like clockwork.

I weigh pretty much daily because I like the data points and I can better analyze my trends...if natural weight fluctuations freak you out, it's probably not a good idea to weigh daily. As you progress, your weight loss will slow (because you have less water and glycogen to lose) and you will see more of these types of fluctuations show up as some of your fat loss will be masked by water weight.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    Take your body measurements and use them as a indicator,

I check every 2 weeks. Losing the weight and getting healthier isn't going to happen overnight.

Keep up good habits
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I started out weighing myself every day. Not really obsessively, but because I wanted to understand how my weight DOES fluctuate and change. I wanted to get a handle on understanding my body weight and how it's different in the morning, at night, from one day to the next, from one week to the next. I liked knowing how different foods effected my short term fluctuations. This gave me more feeling of control and of freedom - I knew that eating something salty would give me a short term gain that would disappear in a day or two. I discovered that a really great workout session would mean a one or two day gain that would diseappear on its own. Understanding how things effected me allowed me to let go of my fear and guilt over eating food.

But it can also become obsessive if you don't use it in a positive way. So I think really, it depends on the person. Weigh yourself when you want to weigh yourself. There's no one way that's correct. Don't let it define you because it's only one piece of data to be used in the whole with how you feel, how your clothes feel, how strong you feel, how you look in before and after pictures, how your measurements look. You look at ALL the data together, not just one piece.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are normal and to be expected. That being said, as long as you are consistently doing the right things, the scale will go down despite the fluctuations (just not always on our time table).

I do weigh myself every day. But I also am real enough to know when the fluctuations are my fault (poor logging habits), or other unknown matters such as water retention.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate based on:

A) What you are wearing (unless you are always weighing the same clothing everytime)....shoes on vs. shoes off
    B) Time of day (You weigh more if there's a pound of food in your guts being digested than you do in the time between your last meal and eating)
    C) How much water you've drunk
    D) How much sodium you've had (Are you holding onto water?)
    E) Likely many other factors I've forgotten...

Don't weigh everyday. Pick ONE day a week and weigh then and try and make it the same time of day. As someone else has said, one bad day isn't going to crush you. I went roughly 1500 calories over my targets on Thanksgiving and still lost weight that week. Also, keep in mind that the number on the scale isn't the ONLY indicator of becoming healthier and more fit:

Are you less winded when you climb several flights of stairs?
    Are you clothes less tight?
    Is your neck shrinking?
    Have you lost a chin?
    Can you do more pushups/situps/crunches/plank longer than when you started?

Good luck...
  • NatalieG525
    NatalieG525 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday morning, as soon as I wake up (well, after my morning wee! TMI, I know haha).

When I tried to lose weight before I was completely obsessed with the scales, which is why I will never go back to weighing myself everyday. Once a week works for me right now :)
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Every week should help to keep you on track but not drive you insane watching the numbers go up an down. Also make sure you do it at the same time under the same circumstances each week. Like maybe you could do it every Friday after you wake up after you've went to the bathroom.
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I quit weighing daily because I am easily discouraged.... now I weigh every Friday and also measure :) So, like this week, I am only down a pound, but am down almost 5 inches in overall measurements from last week (2 of those from my waist) It made my morning :)
  • MrsMRo220
    MrsMRo220 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Friday morning. I do it on Fridays because my husband and kids like to just eat all weekend long. So seeing my progress helps me stay on track!
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I personally weigh every morning, first thing right after I use the bathroom. I like weighing every day because through doing this and analysing my diary from the day before when I go up, I have learned how different foods affect my body and weight. For example, it was through doing this that I discovered diet drinks make me put on weight without fail, and that I can actually have more carbs than I thought (which was a weight off my mind) before it affects the scales.

Mostly it depends on you, what type of person you are and what you are going to do with the data. If you are only weighing to see if you are making progress, then once a week or two (or even once a month) is fine. If you are able to not obsess about the number going up or down a bit each day and want to know how different things affect your body, then go daily.
  • roblock81
    roblock81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I personally check my weight every morning straight out of bed before I eat or drink and of course after I use the bathroom :) I have days that stay the same or go up a pound or so but do not focus on those days since it just happens from time to time. As others have stated many factors can make the number on the scale fluctuate. The number I use as a judge of how well my diet & excise is working is my weekly loss/gain. If I only lost 1 lb the entire week I know I might need to change it up at the gym or double check that my calories are where they need to be.

Daily weight checking is just a part of my routine. It keeps me on track with my diet knowing the scale in the morning will reflect it if I slipped up the night before with a high cal snack. When I did weekly I would tell myself it is okay since I have 3 more days before weigh in to burn it off!

Also when you do get down to your goal weight daily weight check is perfect to catch yourself falling back into old habits before they get out of control. If I see a constant gain 3-4 days in a row I know I need to do something different!

Some things to keep in mind. Drink LOTS of water during the day!! Water Retention is probably the biggest reason for weight fluctuations if you are sticking to a diet. I know it seems odd but your body will actually retain more water if you drink less of it. Drink lots of water and you retain less. Of course your visits to the bathroom increase also ;)

Also I have a confession. Anyone else weigh themselves before then after using the bathroom to see how your weight changes? :)
  • roblock81
    roblock81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Another fun way to track your progress without the scale. Take a daily photo for the next 90 days and watch the transformation!
  • rdpapag
    rdpapag Posts: 17
    Options
    If you don't weigh yourself every hour you are doing it wrong.
  • xNouvelleVie
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. It can fluctuate as much as four pounds I've heard. I've seen it for myself. I do weigh in everyday, but I don't really let the numbers bother me too much. If the numbers bother you too much then once a week is best. I think weighing in the morning after you first go the bathroom is best. I am always at my lowest weight then. If I weigh before bed it's always higher. So mornings is best at least for me. But I think it is for pretty much everyone else too. I think it's best to weigh at the same time, and most likely in the morning.