Follow up post: Seeking advice.

So I recently created my first forum post and was told that my eating habits to date have been dangerous and were not in my best interest. I woke up today dizzy and ravenously hungry. I went to my doctor not sure where else to turn and was told (again) that I am not eating enough and that being very hungry one or 2 days out of the week is my body's way of telling me I'm being too aggressive. The only problem with doc is he can't be beside me every day. Can someone from the community that is willing to lend a helping hand please look at my food diary and let me know if my past few days have been acceptable. Any nutrition advice,food suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Replies

• 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Height and weight?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Looked at your diary - looks like you normally eat 800-900 calories a day. Listen to your doctor - you're not eating enough to fuel your body.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    You're eating half or less of what you need to be eating. You were given 1800 calories for a reason, eat them!! Add more protein and fat to your diet in place of some of the carbs and you'll reduce the sugar crash shaky weak feeling. Track fiber, shoot for 25g/day. You still need to feed your body for the size it is now, otherwise you can't expect it to be able to function. The 1800 calories you were given is already a reduced number that is designed to have you lose weight. Undercutting the system is just going to cause you problems. Please listen to your doctor and eat. Real, whole food.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    You've got all these calories left over. Why don't you eat? And how was your doctor able to see you so quickly when all you were was hungry? :)
  • I'm 5'5" 289.8 lbs Highest weight was 306. Started the diet 1/1 and lost all of the weight to date very quickly eating what I've been eating and working out an hour a day and now nothing. No way I plateaued this soon. What is happening?
  • You've got all these calories left over. Why don't you eat? And how was your doctor able to see you so quickly when all you were was hungry? :)

My primary care doctor is great about getting me in when I need to see him. I complained of dizziness,fatigue and abdominal pain. He knows I'm dieting and having issues. He's great about getting me in but to use him as a source of dieting advice is not his job. I felt so bad I had to go in. For the first 2 weeks starting the diet I had so much energy. No stamina and the exercise hurt badly and I really had to push to get through 10 minutes of exercise. Now I do my hour no problem and my muscles don't hurt half as much anymore but the weight is not moving. Then one day everything changed it was hard to wake up again (like before I started exercising), my A.M. workout killed me,I felt like all I wanted to do was sleep,my stomach was in agony but I had no appetite. I was miserable. After a very productive 2 weeks I was out of the blue weak and miserable. Of all the times I remember seeing my doctor with seasonal illnesses or asthma related issues just being hungry was the WORST I've felt in a looong time.
  • [/quote]
    Height and weight?
    [/quote]

5'5" ,289.8 lbs as of 1/14 down from a start weight of 306.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Your calories are WAY to low. You are starving yourself big time which will backfire when trying to lose weight.

Use this calculator and figure out your calories you need to lose weight PROPERLY:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • You're eating half or less of what you need to be eating. You were given 1800 calories for a reason, eat them!! Add more protein and fat to your diet in place of some of the carbs and you'll reduce the sugar crash shaky weak feeling. Track fiber, shoot for 25g/day. You still need to feed your body for the size it is now, otherwise you can't expect it to be able to function. The 1800 calories you were given is already a reduced number that is designed to have you lose weight. Undercutting the system is just going to cause you problems. Please listen to your doctor and eat. Real, whole food.

A little scared to add fat. The worst I do now is a little bit of butter on my rye or wheat toast. Ideally where would this fat be coming from? Fish? Chicken? I don't do dairy or eggs.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Instead of going to the doctor for no reason just fix it yourself and eat the calories. This plan works but you have to follow it. It's not that hard. You are acting like you don't know how to eat your allotted cals and it's a mystery why you are feeling poorly. You know why so just do it.
  • wilsoje74
    You're eating half or less of what you need to be eating. You were given 1800 calories for a reason, eat them!! Add more protein and fat to your diet in place of some of the carbs and you'll reduce the sugar crash shaky weak feeling. Track fiber, shoot for 25g/day. You still need to feed your body for the size it is now, otherwise you can't expect it to be able to function. The 1800 calories you were given is already a reduced number that is designed to have you lose weight. Undercutting the system is just going to cause you problems. Please listen to your doctor and eat. Real, whole food.

A little scared to add fat. The worst I do now is a little bit of butter on my rye or wheat toast. Ideally where would this fat be coming from? Fish? Chicken? I don't do dairy or eggs.

Why don't you do dairy or eggs? Olive oil, avocado? Butter is dairy and so you must do some dairy?
  • martyqueen52

Why are you scared? FAT doesn't make you fat at all... going over your daily calories makes you fat.
  • Your calories are WAY to low. You are starving yourself big time which will backfire when trying to lose weight.

Use this calculator and figure out your calories you need to lose weight PROPERLY:

I am going to use that tool right now. It just seems like so much. I've never been this big before and it's messing with me psychologically. When I was 118 I don't recall eating very much at all but that was ok then and not now? I don't get it. I only overate out of depression from sitting around in a cast after repeat surgeries for almost 2 years. Now that I can be active and walk again I simply look in the mirror or touch my body in the shower and get disgusted to the point where I have no interest in food. I can't get excited about eating and see it as "the problem". It's really not as simple as "just eat" to me.
  • You're eating half or less of what you need to be eating. You were given 1800 calories for a reason, eat them!! Add more protein and fat to your diet in place of some of the carbs and you'll reduce the sugar crash shaky weak feeling. Track fiber, shoot for 25g/day. You still need to feed your body for the size it is now, otherwise you can't expect it to be able to function. The 1800 calories you were given is already a reduced number that is designed to have you lose weight. Undercutting the system is just going to cause you problems. Please listen to your doctor and eat. Real, whole food.

Why are you scared? FAT doesn't make you fat at all... going over your daily calories makes you fat.

I would feel more comfortable eating more if I had a way to know for a fact how many calories I'm honestly burning a day. Is there any accurate calculator that can tell me with a reasonable degree of certainty how many calories I burn daily vs. what I take in?
  • martyqueen52
    Your calories are WAY to low. You are starving yourself big time which will backfire when trying to lose weight.

I am going to use that tool right now. It just seems like so much. I've never been this big before and it's messing with me psychologically. When I was 118 I don't recall eating very much at all but that was ok then and not now? I don't get it. I only overate out of depression from sitting around in a cast after repeat surgeries for almost 2 years. Now that I can be active and walk again I simply look in the mirror or touch my body in the shower and get disgusted to the point where I have no interest in food. I can't get excited about eating and see it as "the problem". It's really not as simple as "just eat" to me.

It might be hard at first, but your body get use to it. I promise it works, when done correctly.

But also remember, as you drop by 5-10lbs. you have to go back and READJUST your calories based off of your new weight, so your calories will go down.
  • martyqueen52

I would feel more comfortable eating more if I had a way to know for a fact how many calories I'm honestly burning a day. Is there any accurate calculator that can tell me with a reasonable degree of certainty how many calories I burn daily vs. what I take in?

Not really unless you get one of those Polar watches or use the GPS map tracker (Endomondo) on your iPhone/Android phone to walk/run.
  • wilsoje74

Someone gave you the calculator. It's at least 2000 at your size now.

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Here's a little education and tough love for you...

Starving yourself is not the way to lose weight in a healthy weight. Obviously you're starting to learn this as your body is now rebelling. While it's true that since you're currently obese you can handle a slightly higher calorie deficit than someone closer to goal, the deficit you're currently at is WAY too high to be even close to healthy. Sacrificing one aspect of health to get to a healthy weight doesn't really make sense, does it?

BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate is the estimated # of calories your body needs just for basic function, as if you were in a coma. At your current weight, that number is 2062. It's no wonder you're having problems with energy and pain! Here's a link to a calorie calculator site that many of us here use and trust:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You need to eat more whether it scares you or not. Fat does not make you fat, neither do carbs or sugar or anything else people label as "bad". Eating more calories than your body needs is what makes us fat. Fats are essential for things like vitamin absorption. Carbs are essential for energy.

If you're really that scared to eat more, please get professional help. You need to learn what it means to eat right to nourish your body.

Why don't you do dairy or eggs? Olive oil, avocado? Butter is dairy and so you must do some dairy?

I cook with olive oil but I don't consume a large quantity of it and avocado I like but haven't eaten it since I started this diet. I really didn't want to eat butter but I was convinced that it's natural and thus better than artificial spreads which are still somewhat high in fat and calories. I was told that "Morbidly obese people like you" (me) "don't need dairy". The person that said that to me is in amazing shape and attends my gym so I abide by the advice.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Nuts or nut butters.
    Add some avocado to your lunchtime sandwich, and another slice of meat.
    Have a banana for snack.
    Or some homous and breadsticks.