Gym question for the more experienced

Options
I have had a goal of going to the gym 6 days a week with Sunday being my off day. A few days ago I did a serious leg day with a trainer and my legs were sore yesterday. I went ahead and went to the gym anyways and walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes. Today they are more sore though still doable.

My question is.. does it hurt for me to keep going to the gym? I was planning to go again tonight and do a little cardio but focus on arms and stomach since they don't hurt, then back on the treadmill for a minimum of 30 minutes to burn some calories. Am I hurting myself or is it ok to work out even when you are sore?

Replies

• Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Sore is ok, pain is bad. Only you know the difference. If it's just sore, I'd keep going. If it's actual true pain, I'd take it easy and maybe a nother day off. I don't ever have any "planned" days off. When I feel like I need a day off I take it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Depends on the soreness. It's normal or expected that a new exercise routine will cause your muscles to complain. But sharp pains rather than a ache might mean you've damaged something.

Alternating upper and lower body workouts is a very good idea. But throw in an extra rest day if you need it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Is this your first go at the gym?

Have you been working out at all before this?

If you haven't I would highly recommend dialing it back to 3 days a week- with maybe some walking or whatever fun thing you want to do between.

6 days a week is typically unnecessary and you are more likely to get so sore you cant' move that you won't go back.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, it's usually telling yourself something! Six days may be too much for you right now (not sure how long you've been going). Like the last poster said, maybe dial it back a bit until your body gets stronger and recovers faster.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If you are just experiencing sore muscles, I would still go and do some light cardio and then lift focusing on other muscle groups. Give your legs another day to recover before working them hard again. Also,make sure you are helping your muscles recover. Stretch the sore muscles well before doing cardio and also eating healthy protein aids in muscle recovery. Swimming (if you have pool access) is also soothing to sore muscles and it is good cardio. Good luck! sore is good, it means your challenging your muscles. But you don't want to cause injury.
  • abickford82
    Options
    As the above user said, you may have to cut down to 5 days. I was doing 2 hours of cardio this summer, followed by an hour of lifting 6x a week. I burned out quick and took a week off (except for walking), and ended up working my way back up to 6x a week. Sore is good, injured not okay.
  • tom0018
    tom0018 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yep, I think folks have already hit the nail on the head. Sore is ok, pain is not. Doing something new or taking it to a higher intensity will often cause soreness which is fine. Like Krista said, only you know your body and you know if you're sore or injured so you should react accordingly. Consider the workouts you are doing and the order you do them in. Those things help to determine what you are burning and how your body is targeting what to use during workouts. I am doing the insanity workouts (well, my version) and they do cause soreness, but I adjust the following day's workouts if need be. If I skip a day I find that when I get back on track I am sore all over again so I find it is better for me to simply modify a workout and maybe do something less intense to allow the soreness to subside than to skip days. I am far from the condition I want to be in, so I'm sure much of my issue is caused by my year of couch potato championships. Good luck!!!
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options

If you haven't I would highly recommend dialing it back to 3 days a week- with maybe some walking or whatever fun thing you want to do between.

6 days a week is typically unnecessary and you are more likely to get so sore you cant' move that you won't go back.

This isn't my first go at the gym but it is my first time back in about 4-5 months and I hit the ground running. I've been 7 out 8 days now.
  • tom0018
    tom0018 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This article explains some of what I was trying to say….better than I can LOL

http://www.umich.edu/~medfit/resistancetraining/timingiseverything101705.html
  • abickford82
    Options
    I use this stretching video the day after leg day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fztE4mK7C0

Also, if you have FocusT25 program at home the stretch dvd is very, very good (even better than the youtube video). I felt the soreness relieved almost instantly after completing the video.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting 6 days a week? If so, I wouldn't recommend that. Walking is actually good for muscle recovery, so that is fine to do every day or even just on non-lifting days.
  • abac30
    abac30 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is normal for your muscles to be sore after legs. Especially on the 2nd day. This is called delayed muscle response. It is actually better to continue with your workouts so you can get the soreness out. It would help to stretch after any weight training to eliminate soreness as well.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Sore is ok, pain is bad. Only you know the difference. If it's just sore, I'd keep going. If it's actual true pain, I'd take it easy and maybe a nother day off. I don't ever have any "planned" days off. When I feel like I need a day off I take it.

I agree with all of the above and those who said that 6 days per week may be a bit aggressive. Don't set yourself up so that if you miss a day that you hadn't intended to miss that you decide to blow your whole week. Set reasonable goals and kick some *kitten*.

79afd231-8e68-44b0-bd98-62256edcbc39_zps5ae1b61d.jpg
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options
    This article explains some of what I was trying to say….better than I can LOL

http://www.umich.edu/~medfit/resistancetraining/timingiseverything101705.html

Great info. Thanks :)
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options
    I use this stretching video the day after leg day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fztE4mK7C0

Also, if you have FocusT25 program at home the stretch dvd is very, very good (even better than the youtube video). I felt the soreness relieved almost instantly after completing the video.

Thanks! I needed some good stretches.
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options
    Are you lifting 6 days a week? If so, I wouldn't recommend that. Walking is actually good for muscle recovery, so that is fine to do every day or even just on non-lifting days.

I've been trying to alternate. So one day I do legs and the next I walk, then stomach and then walk, then arms and then walk. I'm trying to give my muscles time to recover between so I can last. What got me was a high intensity full body strength training class at the gym for an hour and it was the day after my leg day. I wasn't thinking.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Something I'm doing to find relief, until your body gets used to it. After a workout (or at night) take a bath with Epsom salt. Drink plenty of water, and if you're still feeling achy try 2 Advil.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    With a good workout, you'll be sore the next day. But if you're sore 2 days later, unless it's very mild, then I'd say you (or rather your trainer) are rushing things. It's ok to do cardio every day, even if you're sore. But if you do an upper body weight workout one day, you should give yourself a day off, then do it again the next day if you're just slightly sore. That's why a lot of people alternate days...one day upper body, the next lower, then repeat. And yes, it does get easier, but should never be EASY. You should always be trying to do a little more every time you do it...a little faster, little farther, a little more weight, few more reps, etc. Be sure to tell your trainer how sore you were & if he doesn't back off, then request that you progress a little slower, or request a new trainer. Some trainers are into the exercise to the point of complete physical exhaustion every workout, every muscle, but that can lead to injury. Also make sure to give yourself one day off a week from exercise of any kind; studies have shown that it actually is better for your fitness.
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options

I agree with all of the above and those who said that 6 days per week may be a bit aggressive. Don't set yourself up so that if you miss a day that you hadn't intended to miss that you decide to blow your whole week. Set reasonable goals and kick some *kitten*.

79afd231-8e68-44b0-bd98-62256edcbc39_zps5ae1b61d.jpg

I'm not the type to give up on the entire week because of one bad day thankfully. I don't let myself fall into the "oh well.. better luck next week" mentality. I play it day by day.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

This isn't my first go at the gym but it is my first time back in about 4-5 months and I hit the ground running. I've been 7 out 8 days now.

I can tell you that even when I take ONE week off from lifting legs it's hell the next time I do. Soreness is okay to work through. Pain isn't. Example being- I strained my left glute last week- that is NOT something you want work through. Feels like I'm getting stabbed in the butt cheek every time I do something other than slow walking. So I'm taking a break from lifting legs and running. I'm keeping it to light elliptical work and lifting upper body and calves until it feels better.
    Also, it's important to remember to stretch after lifting. I can definitely tell when I don't, I get sore. If I'm running short on time, I'd rather skip my last set of whatever I'm doing and get a good stretch in.

It's more than likely just soreness... just keep swimming :smile: