2014 : 5:2 fasters or alternate day fasting

Options

Replies

• reeny34
    reeny34 Posts: 72
    Options
    I started the 5:2 diet on 6th January this year and have lost 3kg so far.

Feel free to add me :bigsmile:
  • Fabula_Rasa
    Fabula_Rasa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've started ADF or "JUDDD" two weeks ago and so far, I'm loving it. :)

For those of you who were successful with this version of IF: Did you split your 500 calories over two or three small meals or did you focus on one 500-caloriy meal a day?
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I"m doing ADF having bought Krista Varady's book the Every Other Day Diet. I'm finding it actually easier than 5:2 as it's more structured - you know from one day to the next what you're meant to be doing! I don't find I binge on the 'feast' days and so far have lost 2lbs. I have come to actually quite like the feeling of hunger on fast days (I usually have most of my 500 cals at supper time) and wake up feeling lighter in the morning, when I know I have a day when I can eat anything I like.

I think the thing is to try it, and see how it is for you. Everyone is different, and different things work for everyone.:)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yes you need a deficit to lose weight - it is just over the course of an entire week instead of every day. Not rocket science!

Oh for goodness sake. Is this a wind up?

So if that isnt rocket science, then I assume that neither is losing weight by eating 200 more your weight loss goal countered by 200 under the next day. Evens out right? If your calorie goal is set to lose weight, then you will lose weight, right? So you eat in exactly the same manner as someone maintaining their weight (sometimes over, sometimes under)

And.... get this. Even if you have a goal to lose say a pound a week, and you finish slightly over come Sunday, chances are you will still lose say half a pound anyway. Woo hoo!!!!
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love it!
    Why not try it?
    I think each person has to find the style of eating [for life] that works for him/her.
    Good luck!
    By the way, there are some wonderful MFP groups dedicated to 5:2.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yes you need a deficit to lose weight - it is just over the course of an entire week instead of every day. Not rocket science!

So if that isnt rocket science, then I assume that neither is losing weight by eating 200 more your weight loss goal countered by 200 under the next day. Evens out right? If your calorie goal is set to lose weight, then you will lose weight, right? So you eat in exactly the same manner as someone maintaining their weight (sometimes over, sometimes under)

And.... get this. Even if you have a goal to lose say a pound a week, and you finish slightly over come Sunday, chances are you will still lose say half a pound anyway. Woo hoo!!!!

Are you kidding? What is your disconnect here? Why do people use IF? Because it is a tool to facilitate better eating habits and for most, to lose weight or maintain it. Don't like it? Don't do it. But in the mean time...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Seriously I haven't a clue what point you are trying to make!

Here's some numbers which might make things clearer for you as there seems to be a comprehension gap:

5 days at maintenance, 2 days at c. 1500 deficit. Over the course of a week you are c. 3000 deficit for the week. Just under a pound a week weight loss, slow, steady & sustainable.

You don't want to do it - absolutely fine by me. Everyone knows a daily deficit works but so does this way of eating so why be so negative?
    Personally after 20 years of being fat I found it the best and easiest way to lose my excess weight.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Here's some numbers which might make things clearer for you as there seems to be a comprehension gap:

5 days at maintenance, 2 days at c. 1500 deficit. Over the course of a week you are c. 3000 deficit for the week. Just under a pound a week weight loss, slow, steady & sustainable.

You don't want to do it - absolutely fine by me. Everyone knows a daily deficit works but so does this way of eating so why be so negative?
    Personally after 20 years of being fat I found it the best and easiest way to lose my excess weight.

I am negative because I think there are much more simpler, more enjoyable methods of losing weight. I am entitled to my opinion. In general, I dont really agree with specific diets as they involve changing a way of eating before and after diet and therefore are difficult to maintain.

As for the numbers. I never questioned the numbers of 5:2 diet. I get it. You questioned the numbers of my explanation while ignoring that you dont have to run at a deficit every day. That's just common sense.

It was the mentality behind the diet that I could never get. Hence my original post.
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I am negative because I think there are much more simpler, more enjoyable methods of losing weight. I am entitled to my opinion. In general, I dont really agree with specific diets as they involve changing a way of eating before and after diet and therefore are difficult to maintain.

Simpler to you, not to others. Stop trying to perpetuate a 'one size fits all nutritional regimen' for everyone.

Key here is to experiment with different approaches to nutrition. Diets in general don't work, since it infers a temporary approach.

You need to find a permanent nutritional plan for continued and permanent changes. How you go about this, is up to the individual and requires experimentation.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I've started ADF or "JUDDD" two weeks ago and so far, I'm loving it. :)

For those of you who were successful with this version of IF: Did you split your 500 calories over two or three small meals or did you focus on one 500-caloriy meal a day?

Feel free to send me a message and I can help get you started with some suggestions :)
  • sara_jean_15
    sara_jean_15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Why fast or suffer? Couldnt think of anything less appealing.
    Here's a thought for you..... Having a daily deficit was a lot less appealing to me than 5:2 when I was losing weight.

Agreed!! And you are less likely to "fall off the wagon" when you get to eat normal calories 5 days per week!
  • sara_jean_15
    sara_jean_15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am already friends with Lillyloooo, but other IF'ers feel free to add me! I practice 5:2 (or sometimes 4:3 if I need to cut weight). Mainly stick with 5:2. And yes, I will most likely do this for as long as I am able. I no longer do it for just weight loss. Doing it now to get and stay lean. I also keep track of my macros as well (35% Protein, 25% fat, 40% carbs). Best decision of my life to track my macros and clean up my diet!
  • kit8kat
    kit8kat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Lilly,

I started the 5:2 on 6th Jan and I am loving it. It's a steady loss (not what I'm used to when it comes to dieting - but then this isn't a diet, it's a way of life) and I'm happy with that.

I'd love some new 5:2/IF friends so please feel free to add me for the journey :flowerforyou:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

As for the numbers. I never questioned the numbers of 5:2 diet. I get it. You questioned the numbers of my explanation while ignoring that you dont have to run at a deficit every day. That's just common sense.

It was the mentality behind the diet that I could never get. Hence my original post.

I did it your way and did it the 5:2 way. It is more enjoyable to do 5:2. And sustainable, and has less impact on my training.....for me!!!! Nobody is forcing you to do it. I do not understand what your problem is.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just don't like to eat during the day. I consider myself an if-er by default. This works well for me, I feel great, and I enjoy what I'm doing.

Maybe we're getting too involved in semantics.
  • Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 5:2 for a couple of weeks and it is by the easiest eating pattern I have followed for years. Not for everyone but each to their own.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I alternate day fast now as a lifestyle, having started at the top of summer last year. I've lost more weight since I updated my ticker, so I'd say at this point 70-80 lbs of my weight loss happened doing ADF (that's a guesstimate as I stopped weighing myself several months ago). But I do true fasts, water only. Since I do not count calories the idea of doing so, and then restricting down to 500, is absolutely unappealing to me. I have always done better going a whole day of fasting vs restricting down to low calories. I'm an all or nothing person, so ADF suits that tendency. I'm not on a prescribed ADF plan or schedule now, so I pretty much eat when I like, fast when I like. It's worked beautifully.

However when I hit maintainance my plan is to 5:2 (full fasts) for life. With my activity level I have calculated how much I can eat on such a plan and still maintain at my pretty low (for a man) goal weight. It's such a high number that I'm actually more concerned about getting enough calories in.

I eat a more lower carb life, and enjoy that. Most of my diet consists of veg, meat, healthy fats, and fruit. Those are my staples. But ADF allows me, weekly if I choose, to eat sweets, pastas, breads, whatever, with abandon and still lose weight.

Fasting does not impact my excercise days. Some days I have more energy when I do. I did 10 miles last week, race walking, on a fast day, and it was the shortest time I've ever logged. I've bested my pull up max on fast days.

Something to consider though. I have done fasting in the past for spiritual reasons. I actually believe in the physical, spiritual, and mental benefits of fasting, so ADF gives me the chance to lose weight and stick to a practice I believe in. I'm accustomed to fasting, so going a day without food literally has ZERO challenge for me; there is zero temptation for me to break a day fast at this point. If you're the type of person who gets antsy at the idea of limiting, or eliminating, food for even a day, reconsider. Some people go so overboard and binge on their full eating days in a bid to "make up" for what they didn't get. You can actually end up gaining weight, or at best not losing weight, on ADF if you lack control after fasting days.

I've found that it's one of those ways of eating that absolutely does not have anywhere near universal appeal, particularly in "eat all day" western nations, but for those it clicks with it tends to suit us VERY well.

I wouldn't trade this way of eating for anything. It's the perfect way of life for me and fits like nothing else has. ADF, combined with the overall way I eat, just gives me everything I need to lose, and eventually, maintain. It's incredibly freeing.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Why fast or suffer? Couldnt think of anything less appealing.
    Here's a thought for you..... Having a daily deficit was a lot less appealing to me than 5:2 when I was losing weight.

Isnt that what exercise is about? So that you can give yourself allowances to eat what you find more enjoyable?
    Huh? Don't see the relevance of your comment at all - your still need a net deficit to lose weight.
    BTW I averaged over 5000 cals of exercise a week last year while doing 5:2.

You seem to have some very odd perceptions of IF.

Eh? You need a net deficit regardless, 5:2, whatever.

Do exercise however, and you can eat more like you normally would while not on a diet. Where is the suffering? If you dont want to do exercise, fine, but just eat less of what you did before.

Cannot see the appeal of something so unnatural as practically starving yourself for 2 days per week.

Couldn't be more natural actually - the human body is designed for periods of feed and fast, why else do you think we store fat.

I don't do 5:2 or any form of IF myself ATM but don't feel the need to slag off others who do (because it works for them).
  • duffypratt
    Options
    Gee, I thought exercise was about getting more fit and feeling better.
  • duffypratt
    Options
    <Deleted>