How to count calories when using a recipie.

Options
Well, counting calories is easy when I am eating ready-made food. The nutritional information is right there on the box! It is also relatively easy if I stick to single item/ingredient foods (i.e., one 4 oz. baked skinless chicken breast - a snap!). What happens when I make a complete dish, however? How is everyone determining the caloric and other nutritional content of the servings? I suppose looking up the information for each ingredient and then entering each one separately as a "food" on the daily intake list is possible, but I don't think it is practical. Please let me know what you are doing out there! Thanks!

Oops! I mean RECIPE!

Replies

• klabritz
    Options
    Well, counting calories is easy when I am eating ready-made food. The nutritional information is right there on the box! It is also relatively easy if I stick to single item/ingredient foods (i.e., one 4 oz. baked skinless chicken breast - a snap!). What happens when I make a complete dish, however? How is everyone determining the caloric and other nutritional content of the servings? I suppose looking up the information for each ingredient and then entering each one separately as a "food" on the daily intake list is possible, but I don't think it is practical. Please let me know what you are doing out there! Thanks!

Oops! I mean RECIPE!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    at sparkpeople.com, there is a fabulous recipe calculator.

:flowerforyou:
  • mildrede40
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

You :bigsmile: are so right this calculator is great!!! Thanks