What's your heart rate when jogging?

Options
Hey,

I'm wondering what other people's heart rate is when jogging?

I'm a bit obsessed with numbers and want a realistic goal for what my heart rate should be when jogging. Think it'll help measure my fitness instead of just seeing how much jogging I can handle - only doing jog 1 min, walk 2 mins at the moment but increasing it in a slow C25k version over the next few months.

My heart rate when jogging (at 6.5kph) goes up to 180/181. I'm currently at 223lbs.

So, what is everyone else's heart rate when jogging - according to their HRMs or treadmills?

Thanks!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    You're pretty young, and new to running, so your HR will be higher. When I started running, my HR went REALLY high. My first 5K (which was REALLY HOT) my HR got a bit over 200. I've determined my max HR is probably between 202 and 206 (even though online estimates put it in the low 180's).

I've been running almost 2 years now. My HR is still higher than many runners. I'll peak on a tougher run at 175 to 180. My average HR on a tougher run is usually around 164. I have recently though, been able to lower my average HR on easy runs considerably. I would say on average it's around 150 for an easy run now.

A good goal is 75% to 85% of your max HR, realizing that as a new runner, it may go higher. Also realizing that your max HR could be quite different from what online calculators say.
  • Edinburgh1986
    Options
    You're pretty young, and new to running, so your HR will be higher. When I started running, my HR went REALLY high. My first 5K (which was REALLY HOT) my HR got a bit over 200. I've determined my max HR is probably between 202 and 206 (even though online estimates put it in the low 180's).

I've been running almost 2 years now. My HR is still higher than many runners. I'll peak on a tougher run at 175 to 180. My average HR on a tougher run is usually around 164. I have recently though, been able to lower my average HR on easy runs considerably. I would say on average it's around 150 for an easy run now.

A good goal is 75% to 85% of your max HR, realizing that as a new runner, it may go higher. Also realizing that your max HR could be quite different from what online calculators say.

Thanks very much!

I always thought your Max Heart Rate was fixed at 220-Age so mine would be 192-193. Although I've never gone past 182 I think.

85% is 164 and that's what I'm averaging on a 30 mins walk/run - would be great to get down to this when I'm able to jog a 5k.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Thanks very much!

I always thought your Max Heart Rate was fixed at 220-Age so mine would be 192-193. Although I've never gone past 182 I think.

85% is 164 and that's what I'm averaging on a 30 mins walk/run - would be great to get down to this when I'm able to jog a 5k.

Yes, that's the random formula that is pretty darn inaccurate if you ask me LOL. If you search online, there will be methods you can use to test your actual max HR (or at least get a heck of a lot closer than the formula). But just based on my running experience, I have a decent idea where my max is. If I hit over 200, I start to feel bad. When I first was running, my average HR would be in the low 180's, even though I felt OK.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Mine is typically in the 160's for my average speed runs (12 min mile--pretty slow), 170's (high) for my 5K races, and 150's for my really slow runs.

My calculated max hr is 175, but playing soccer and going all out my HRM got 202.
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My average speed on a long run is about 11 min/ mile and my average heart rate is about 140-150. That being said, the numbers vary a lot depending on whether I'm racing, how hot it is outside, how tired I am... I go between 100 (on a cool day and flat surface) and 205 (particularly hilly 5k race when I was pushing myself to go fast).
    As you get fitter, your cardio fitness will improve and your heart rate will be slower. I used to be steadily in the 170s. There is no shame in taking walking breaks or slowing down when needed- do not push yourself to the point where you start hating your workouts or risk injury.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    No idea! Never had reason to track it!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

This is good info. My max HR is 177 and I typically hit around 140 for my easy runs at 9:30-10:00 pace. My last faster run was 152 at 8:30 pace. A race will be closer to max depending on the distance. My recent half marathon was 166 average.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I actually have no idea, but I have been curious as to what it is. I'm not quite as obssessed with numbers (okay, I'm kind of lying!) and have been thinking about buying an HRM so this kind of pushes me even closer! Thanks!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    26yo F 5'5" 130ish lbs and my HR is usually somewhere between 165-175 when I jog/run on the treadmill with no incline. While my average HR has always been about the same (maybe just a taaaad lower now), I've found that my recovery time is much shorter since I've been working out and running for a few months now.
  • Edinburgh1986
    Options
    Thank you all for such helpful information!

Seeing some of your HR info makes me realise how absolutely shockingly unfit I am - well, I already knew but that's just another thing!!

I'm tracking my average and maximum during every treadmill workout so it will be interesting to see it improve (hopefully!) over time!