Boots' UK instore scales

Options
What a crock of crapola! I've measured my height and weight in different methods recently. My readings are;
Height - 5"6.5 (no shoes, measured twice)
Weight - 10st 12 (two sets of scales, one home and one hospital)

Today I decided to pay 70p to get completely different results. Boots' scale had me at;
Height - 5"6.8 (in shoes that make me an inch taller)
Weight - 11st 8
Body Fat % - 27.3.

So, I''ve shrunk, gained 10 pounds and my body fat percentage is THAT low? Er, no.
Am I freaking nuts or are these scales designed to make you buy their weight loss crud?
Oh, it also made my OH an inch and a half shorter and 14lbs heavier than last he was measured and weighed.

Has anybody else experienced weird readings or am I just a short, heavy moose?

Replies

• invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • I know nothing about UK scales, but I have seen several short, heavy, moose (meese?). You don't look anything like them so no worries. :p
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Scales will vary in their readouts based on the clothes you wear, what time of day you weighed, what you ate the day before, etc.
  • invisibubble
    Options
    Eats - It's just this big weighing machine we have in one of our chain drugstores here in the UK. The difference has really knocked me for six, and made me hella mad!

NoAdditives - I am aware of discrepancies within different weighings/equipment. My question was whether or not anyone else who'd used this specific scale type had experienced such massive differences. I appreciate your efforts to respond but I have more than a modicum of common sense and plenty of experience, so your reply was irrelevant to the question I posed. Thank you, however, for trying to help :smile:
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I once weighed myself in Boots and was horrified. It was WAY off my own / WW scale. In the wrong direction. Never did it again. I've also had the same problem with a similar scale at my gym. Probably best to stick to what you know - and not too often at that.
  • invisibubble
    Options
    Hmmm. I've been fine with every scale but that one really. I try not to weigh myself often as I'm naturally very obsessive, which is why I don't personally own a scale, I use other peoples'. This is really bugging me though, I can't shake it. Anyone else had similar? (she asks, pointlessly bumping lol)
  • invisibubble
    Options
    friggin' BUMP! :grumble:
  • invisibubble
    Options
    bump?
  • invisibubble
    Options
    Bump bump bumpity bumpeth BUMP? No?
  • Millefleur
    Millefleur Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I get a slight variation but generally I trust it with my weight - body fat and height are another issue, occasionally I go from 5'1.8 to 5'2.2, not a great deal but it messes up my BMI records which is annoying, I like to see it go down accurately on the print-out each week >:( and my first weigh in gave me 51.5% body fat, the next two weeks I got 36.9 and 36.8 :/
  • BecciJG
    BecciJG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I used the scales in boots store I was shocked to see I was a lot heavier than I though (9st 10lbs), as it happened I had a doctors appointment a few days later and they weighed me there and I weighed 9st 4lbs!! Such a big difference. So now I stick to my own ww scales I have at home.
  • classicbizz
    Options
    Re-opening this thread

When I weighed myself at home I got a reading of 12st - in Boots 12 st 7 lbs. I felt horrified and felt that everything that I had done had made no difference. I am kind of glad to see that some people on here are feeling my pain. I might give Weights and Measures a call.
  • CatherineAlice99
    Options
    Hey,

I've noticed I often get varied readings on different scales (esp. other peoples scales) and i have had it mentioned that the best solution is to just stick to the same set as some scales need to be re-calibrated every now and again. Case and point: I measures 1lb of sugar exactly at home and when i put it on my weight scales in the bathroom it came out as 1.1LB's. Not a huge difference but when you convert that into a full human being the weight will be off.

I've only used the Boots scales occasionally for curiosity more than anything and I've found that they have given me varied results but only so far as most scales give me varied results.

Hope that helps!
  • MATTSPARKES1
    MATTSPARKES1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm assuming you take into account that at home you weigh yourself naked, or near to it and in Boots you will be fully clothed, including clothes and shoes. Unless you have no body issues and just strip right off. Height-wise you may be hunching up on the scales in Boots as you don't want to draw attention to yourself which will reduce your height.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you take into account that at home you weigh yourself naked, or near to it and in Boots you will be fully clothed, including clothes and shoes. Unless you have no body issues and just strip right off. Height-wise you may be hunching up on the scales in Boots as you don't want to draw attention to yourself which will reduce your height.

this thread was 4 years old, i hope OP has let it go by now...