Someone check my math on a smoothie?

Options
2»

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I created a food, homemade smoothie: frozen berries, coconut milk, ginger, kale, sunflower butter. I get 234 calories which seems high. Can someone add up the nutrition info for the individual items and double check my math? Thank you!

How can you not list amount used of each ingredient and expect anybody to determine the calorie count?

:laugh:

Thanks for laughing. I'm just trying to get accurate info and hoped someone would be kind enough to search the nutrition charts and see if their result was close to mine. The laughter helps so much. Shouldn't you be on the msn boards? I guess laughter burns a couple calories and I should have been more specific for "peers" who didn't understand.

You do realize that you have to put the type, brand, and serving size of each item for people to do this for you right? Can you tell me how many calories are in my smoothie? I used berries, protein powder, white chocolate pudding mix, and chocolate. It all seems very lazy on your part though just in general. It's like saying hey guys I heard on Dr. Oz that a water fast is great, can you guys google it for me, and give the me the results?
  • dmeyerman
    Options
    I was hoping someone would google the nutrition for each item and double check my result.

Here you go, "let me google that for you"! =)http://bit.ly/1dt66iM (I even shortened the address for your copying convenience).
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    234 calories per ounce, or? Coconut milk tends to be high in calories as as well as the nut butter- next time you make it, put each ingredient into MFP. Measure the amount of each ingredient, and input it. Then save it as a meal, and divide it up by serving size. It seems like a lot of trouble at first, but make this kind of tracking a habit! You can't get directions to where you're going if you don't know where you are!

All the best,
  • bagge72
    Options
    What you are asking does not make sense with the information you provided. We need more information.

Not to hijack but you have amazing arms.

Yeah definitely worth hijacking!
  • dmeyerman
    Options
    Go to http://www.calorieking.com/ it will help you a bunch with specific ingredients and serving sizes.
  • mssag
    mssag Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I suggest you use the recipe option under the food tab (click the food tab, then recipes, then click the green box labelled "enter new recipe"). Find and enter each of you individual ingredients, which mostly likely are all in the database, to give you a tally for the full amount. For "servings", I would just enter 1, and then assuming your pitcher is 24 ounces and you drank 16 ounces, just enter the meal into your diary as 0.66 (i.e., 16/24, which is 66%). That will give you the total calories and nutrition values for the amount you drank.

Oh, and without having any idea of the exact ingredients of your smoothie, I'd guess that 234 isn't high for 16 ounces. Again, that would depend mostly on how much berries and sunflower butter you had, and what kind of coconut milk you used (sweetened or unsweetened, light or regular, etc.).
  • willywonka_71
    willywonka_71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I created a food, homemade smoothie: frozen berries, coconut milk, ginger, kale, sunflower butter. I get 234 calories which seems high. Can someone add up the nutrition info for the individual items and double check my math? Thank you!

How can you not list amount used of each ingredient and expect anybody to determine the calorie count?

:laugh:

Thanks for laughing. I'm just trying to get accurate info and hoped someone would be kind enough to search the nutrition charts and see if their result was close to mine. The laughter helps so much. Shouldn't you be on the msn boards? I guess laughter burns a couple calories and I should have been more specific for "peers" who didn't understand.

What is making people not understand your post, and poking fun at it, is the fact that you are asking for help in counting how many calories are in your smoothie based on the ingredients you put in it. That’s fine and dandy, but we need to know HOW MUCH of each ingredient you put in the smoothie in order to help calculate it ...for all we know you could have put in 3 tablespoons of almond butter... or 20.

If you want someone to help you, you have to list the AMOUNT of each ingredient (in grams/ounces) that you put in your smoothie.
  • bagge72
    Options
    I suggest you use the recipe option under the food tab (click the food tab, then recipes, then click the green box labelled "enter new recipe"). Find and enter each of you individual ingredients, which mostly likely are all in the database, to give you a tally for the full amount. For "servings", I would just enter 1, and then assuming your pitcher is 24 ounces and you drank 16 ounces, just enter the meal into your diary as 0.66 (i.e., 16/24, which is 66%). That will give you the total calories and nutrition values for the amount you drank.

Oh, and without having any idea of the exact ingredients of your smoothie, I'd guess that 234 isn't high for 16 ounces. Again, that would depend mostly on how much berries and sunflower butter you had, and what kind of coconut milk you used (sweetened or unsweetened, light or regular, etc.).

What I think this person wants you to do is actually google each ingrediant, because he thinks that the packaging lable is wrong, because of how many calories are in the smoothie, even though I don't think I have ever made a smoothie with that low of a calorie count. He actually added up the calories on each specific product, but really thinks those lables are wrong.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Go to http://www.calorieking.com/ it will help you a bunch with specific ingredients and serving sizes.

Clicked on link but didn't go anywhere. Can't you just provide the contents of the link? Why does this have to be so hard!?!?!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    What you are asking does not make sense with the information you provided. We need more information.

Not to hijack but you have amazing arms.

Yeah definitely worth hijacking!
    Pahahahah! Thanks, guys!
  • mssag
    mssag Posts: 23 Member
    Options

What I think this person wants you to do is actually google each ingrediant, because he thinks that the packaging lable is wrong, because of how many calories are in the smoothie, even though I don't think I have ever made a smoothie with that low of a calorie count. He actually added up the calories on each specific product, but really thinks those lables are wrong.

Oops, I guess I totally misunderstood him. His post was far from clear, as everyone's pointed out....:smile:
  • Bumaye123
    Bumaye123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I came up with 243 - (1 serving for each ingredient) (not adding ginger). Sounds delicious and healthy - probably well worth the calories! Add some rum and I think it'll be calorie free :) Enjoy!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess calories.jpg
    It's a fact.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Hilarious. How large is my dog?
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Clicked on link but didn't go anywhere. Can't you just provide the contents of the link? Why does this have to be so hard!?!?!

The site works (try it without the http, that should populate on it's own in your browser), but it's a pay subscription site. I already spend enough on food and exercise, but thanks for the link.
  • eomuno215in541
    Options
    I came up with 243 - (1 serving for each ingredient) (not adding ginger). Sounds delicious and healthy - probably well worth the calories! Add some rum and I think it'll be calorie free :) Enjoy!

Thank you! Not difficult to calc, right? Yes! Rum makes everything zero calories :)
  • eomuno215in541
    Options

Wow. Tell me his breed, age and general activity level (general info like I provided) and I'll let you know a good estimate. Not difficult. Just amazing how many people here laugh at others when they're sincerely seeking help and trying to get fit. Lesson learned. Thanks for all your help. I figured it out with the assistance of someone nice and intelligent.
  • eomuno215in541
    Options
    I'm going to guess calories.jpg
    It's a fact.

Wow, you must be a professional comedian! That was SOO funny I forgot to laugh.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Wow. Tell me his breed, age and general activity level (general info like I provided) and I'll let you know a good estimate. Not difficult. Just amazing how many people here laugh at others when they're sincerely seeking help and trying to get fit. Lesson learned. Thanks for all your help. I figured it out with the assistance of someone nice and intelligent.
    That's exactly the point. You didn't give all the necessary information, but left out both breed and age and only told us the activity level. This is a funny thread, I wasn't mocking you, but maybe you chose to read my reply with those glasses on?

I can also estimate quite a few things, as long as you give the necessary details. In physics, if you want to calculate a distance, you need both time and speed/velocity, but if one is missing the distance estimated could be anything from zero to endlessly large.

I would have helped you if you had presented a list of ingredients and their individual volumes/masses, but you didn't as far as I remember. You were asked to give those details more than once, but I still haven't seen a comprehensive list. Hence a funny thread, but still not laughing *at* your person; big difference.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

That's exactly the point. You didn't give all the necessary information, but left out both breed and age and only told us the activity level. This is a funny thread, I wasn't mocking you, but maybe you chose to read my reply with those glasses on?

I can also estimate quite a few things, as long as you give the necessary details. In physics, if you want to calculate a distance, you need both time and speed/velocity, but if one is missing the distance estimated could be anything from zero to endlessly large.

I would have helped you if you had presented a list of ingredients and their individual volumes/masses, but you didn't as far as I remember. You were asked to give those details more than once, but I still haven't seen a comprehensive list. Hence a funny thread, but still not laughing *at* your person; big difference.
    Exactly. You gave no brands or measurements.. (Full fat or not sunflower butter?). If you had, no one would have "poked fun" at you.