Working out via HRM

Options
OK tell me what you think. I workout and I use just an HRM to log my workout. So I get dressed into my gym clothes and I strap the heart-rate monitor on. I go outside and get on my bike and at that point I turn it on. I ride to the gym which is less than a mile and then I do my workout which consist of weights and one day is upper the next day is lower. I also do 3 machines everyday that work on core. Then I get on a spin bike and ride hard for an hour. I finish with that I get back on my bike and ride home. I get home and walk into the house and I turn my HRM off. My workout is always no less than two hours and sometimes 2.25 hours. Very rare that it gets to 2.5 unless I jump in a class for fun or something. My calories burned are always over 1000 and may reach to 1500 just depends. My height is 5-10 and I am 220.

Do you think this is good or bad or it really doesn't matter. I'm OK with honesty so go for it.

Thanks!

Marcello

Replies

• kingking
    kingking Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think HRMs are the most accurate tracking tool you can get (without going into a lab with much more sophisticated equipment). Chest strap ones are the best, IMHO...they track you continuously.

So I think you're doing the right thing.

One technique I use for long workouts (like all day hikes) is to subtract off your basic metabolic rate calorie burn. For instance, if you normally burn 2400 calories a day, that's 200 per hour, so if you work out for three hours and the HRM says you burned 1000 calories, I'd subtract off 600 leaving a net burn of 400. Or, if your mfp target is 1200 calories, I'd subtract off 300. Make sense?

Out of curiosity, what HRM are you using and what software to track the calories?
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The HRM is great for the cardio stuff your doing, but it's not giving you an accurate read on the weight lifting part. HRM's are best used for steady cardio only. The final readout is probably too high.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    HRM are really just for cardio so the weights and leaving it on while walking from one place to another could be throwing off your #'s quite a bit.

if you want a good picture of how much your body burns in a day look into a titbit or bodybug they are meant to be worn for 24hr.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I think HRMs are the most accurate tracking tool you can get (without going into a lab with much more sophisticated equipment). Chest strap ones are the best, IMHO...they track you continuously.

So I think you're doing the right thing.

One technique I use for long workouts (like all day hikes) is to subtract off your basic metabolic rate calorie burn. For instance, if you normally burn 2400 calories a day, that's 200 per hour, so if you work out for three hours and the HRM says you burned 1000 calories, I'd subtract off 600 leaving a net burn of 400. Or, if your mfp target is 1200 calories, I'd subtract off 300. Make sense?

Out of curiosity, what HRM are you using and what software to track the calories?

I'm using a Polar FT7 with a chest strap.
  • mmuzzatti
    Options
    HRM are really just for cardio so the weights and leaving it on while walking from one place to another could be throwing off your #'s quite a bit.

if you want a good picture of how much your body burns in a day look into a titbit or bodybug they are meant to be worn for 24hr.

I returned the fitbit force because it would not track my spinning and I did not like to wear it all day. I do think your right about the weight lifting part too.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should stop it for the strength training portion of your workouts, it will grossly over estimate the burn as they are desinged to estimate steady state cardio only.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I wear a heartrate monitor when I do my cardio and even when I play volleyball, since I consider that cardio as well. I also wear a Fitbit all day to track other activity that I don't log as exercises in MFP. Since they sync, I think I am getting a very accurate total of calories burned.
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well honestly, I'm amazed by your stamina. Admittedly I'm kind of new to all this, but I can't imagine 2 hours of straight exercise lol. Ok well maybe some forms (I read your page so I know you won't be offended by that remark :) ). What is your question exactly? Are you wondering about accuracy of your calorie burn or are you worried about burning that many calories being too much? As to the former, as long as you are wearing a continuous heart rate monitor (such as the polar chest band type) then your about as accurate as it's gonna get. As to it being to much? Are you happy with it? Are you listening to what your body is telling you and is it happy with this? If so go for it! Pro athlete's do it all the time. Not saying we are pro's or anything, just that as long as you are careful and happy with it, (to quote Nike) Just do it!
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7 while working out - weights and cardio. But I never eat back all my exercise calories - probably only about half. I can eat 1600 calories when I don't exercise, and I try to never go over 2000 when I do workout (I checked my TDEE numbers sedentary vs. active to get this range).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, HRMs will not give you an accurate reading for strength training.

Here is a good read on the basics of HRMs
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

How to make it more accurate
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak?month=201112
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I wear my Loop + H7 when I'm at the gym, for either cardio or weights. I do know the numbers for weights will be off, but I also am wearing a BodyMedia Link = between the two I get a close estimate of everything (daily burn, HR & so forth).

But yeah, if you are riding a bike to the gym, great to wear the HR, but as the others stated, either turn it off & hand calculate the calories for lifting, then turn back on for cardio & ride home.

I use this (http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/) to get an estimate for cals during lifting (I don't care on them, but it's fun to see what I think I may have done as well as see what the Loop/H7 & BM Link readings are in comparison).
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I would try doing each activity as a separate training session and then add them up and see what happens. I don't disagree that the Polar doesn't record the weight lifting accurately but my experience with mine (FT40) is that it gives me hardly any burn for strength training. If you are keeping your HR up for that entire time, you may be getting big burns like that. Divide it up and see where you are-why not?
  • mmuzzatti
    Options
    So you all gave a lot of good information and I guess what I'm looking at is when I post it I get the compliments of great burn or nice job and I'm just wondering if it really is a good job. I think what I'm going to do is keep this going and see what happens. I'm not losing weight since I still have bad habits, beer mostly. I appreciate all the IMHO since it's you guys that are my support. Just babbling on since I'm trying to get back into things.

On another note I deleted several friends that have not logged on in over a month so if you want to add me feel free to do so. I do have a disclaimer since I'm an *kitten* at times!

Marcello