Eating before exercise

Options
I am fairly new to exercising so I am not sure what is the best strategy to lose weight. I am not a fit athlelete, I am at the beginning of this journey, 50 to 60 pounds to lose.. My question is do you eat before a work out? I have read some articles that say not to eat before because you will burn those calories and not fat and other articles say your body needs that pre workout meal to be able to perform. What is the truth behind these two statements. Does one apply to someone like me where the other applies to a fit athlete thats not trying to lose?

Replies

• ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of different people say lots of different things, so you'll be different too. You need to just experiment with food/exercise and change things up based on how your body is feeling.

I workout in the mornings and whether or not I eat breakfast depends on the time and expected exertion of my workout. If I'm going for a quick run (1-3miles) I have a cup of coffee and that's usually it. Anything longer and I'll have some coffee and maybe a banana. For long runs I get up extra early so I can include some protein, usually nut butter.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I eat before working out (not immediately beforehand, of course), because when I don't, I spend much of the workout feeling like I want to pass out (not that I've ever actually fainted).

Do whatever works for you. It won't make a noticeable difference either way.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    There is no mechanism to determine that your body would "burn the calories you've eaten" or "burn the fat calories" except being in an overall deficit … meaning, if you eat more calories than your body uses it stores them, less and it goes to the storage, and if you are right on, you will maintain. (This usage is exercise, daily activity, maintaining body temp, beating heart, lungs, brain, etc … basically just living)

So as far as eating before exercise, it's up to you. I like to work out first thing in the morning, before I eat, because if I exercise right after eating I get an upset tummy. On the other hand, if I'm already feeling hungry and I don't eat anything at all I can get dizzy, so I'll eat a quick granola bar. Some people prefer to wait until later in the day, so they've eaten something (and it takes a while for it to be completely digested, so it's not like they're working out fasted even if it's been a few hours). If you get dizzy or lightheaded, try eating a bit before. If you get an upset tummy then you probably need to wait a little longer after eating to work out. Other than that, it doesn't matter.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I agree, you have to find what works for you.

Personally I find that I can work out effectively first-thing in the morning on an empty stomach (with plenty of water). But if I wait until later in the day, or if I sleep in and try to work out mid-morning, I need a little something for energy. I go with a slice of whole-wheat toast and a little peanut butter. I've heard whole-grain carb and a little protein but again, do what works for you.

Good luck on your fitness journey! When I started I was 50 pounds overweight and I lost 40 pounds in 4 months. MFP really works if you log everything and eat consistently at a deficit.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Your choice, for sure. I do both ways. My husband cannot run after eating. At all.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You'll find a lot of argument about working out fasted vs. after eating. The big thing to keep in mind is that any difference it makes is a small one, small enough that it can be ignored, especially when you are first starting out. Focus on the big things first (logging food accurately, actually getting to the gym, etc). Once those big things are sorted, then you can look at little issues like this one.

That said, some carbs and protein pre-workout will give you more energy for your workout, so if you find yourself running out of steam easily adding some food beforehand may help. How much beforehand is individual preference. Some people get a stomachache if they eat right beforehand, some are fine. Find what works for you.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I have much more energy when my stomach is completely empty (fasted for at least 12 hours).
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think this is very much a question of personal preference and circumstances - I find that it depends on when you're exercising, and what sort of exercise you'll be doing. I frequently go running in the morning on an empty stomach, but that's rarely more than an hourlong proposition, so I'm home and can eat before I start getting lightheaded. Otherwise, for most anything else (swimming, lifting, dance class, Zumba), I try to have something small like a fruit bar, or some fruit and nuts, an hour or so beforehand. Just try a few variations and see what works!
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I suggest eating a little but not heavy. I have heard a lot of people say that it makes them tooty! lol
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    for me, if I eat directly before a workout I'll throw up. I have to eat at least 45min to and hour before I workout. I workout then eat now.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Your choice, for sure. I do both ways. My husband cannot run after eating. At all.

I'm the same way. Well, I guess I can run after eating but it's much more challenging.

There are a lot of factors involved. What kind of workout are you doing? What time of day?

When I strength train, I prefer to eat after instead of before, but that works for me. And as others have said, you need to find what works for you. A poster above recommended whole wheat toast and peanut butter. I think that is a great recommendation. Certain foods will affect you differently so you'll have to experiment a bit. I run early in the morning and I always run on an empty stomach and that works for me.

Whatever you decide give your body time to digest what you eat before you go workout.
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    Agree with everyone to do what works for you but would add that what works for you may change with age and fitness level. I used to only be able to work out on an empty stomach, but now I need to eat before a hard workout.